Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Comparison Test: 2008 Civic LX vs. 2008 Mazda 3 vs. 2009 Corolla XLE

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 11:00 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
It seems some people continue to believe Toyota can do no wrong, and thus this test must by default be flawed based on the results. If the Corolla was the consistent top pick for this test I absolutely promise you this thread would contain a tiny fraction of the criticism for the testing parameters that it does right now.

They did a simulated city driving course, actual highway driving, PLUS the race track. So they definitely included real world driving as a significant part of their testing loop.

Also, why would they test the Corolla S if they didn't also test the Civic Si and whatever the sportier version of the Mazda is called? That wouldn't be apples to apples.

While I don't think that the results of this test are the final word on any of those cars, it is still very relevant to see the opinion of every day drivers that aren't jaded by the industry.

It sounds to me like the Corolla does have a good target audience that will enjoy the car - people that see cars as only an appliance... nothing more... and only care about getting there reliably and comfortably. Those people, however, are NOT the people that are going to be reading Edmunds.com, so why should a car publication target a test toward the tastes of people that almost never visit their site?
Old 06-10-08, 11:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It seems some people continue to believe Toyota can do no wrong, and thus this test must by default be flawed based on the results. If the Corolla was the consistent top pick for this test I absolutely promise you this thread would contain a tiny fraction of the criticism for the testing parameters that it does right now.

They did a simulated city driving course, actual highway driving, PLUS the race track. So they definitely included real world driving as a significant part of their testing loop.

Also, why would they test the Corolla S if they didn't also test the Civic Si and whatever the sportier version of the Mazda is called? That wouldn't be apples to apples.

While I don't think that the results of this test are the final word on any of those cars, it is still very relevant to see the opinion of every day drivers that aren't jaded by the industry.

It sounds to me like the Corolla does have a good target audience that will enjoy the car - people that see cars as only an appliance... nothing more... and only care about getting there reliably and comfortably. Those people, however, are NOT the people that are going to be reading Edmunds.com, so why should a car publication target a test toward the tastes of people that almost never visit their site?
It makes absolutely NO difference who won, or what car was picked last, etc.

It's getting a bit tiring to hear "if _____ Toyota/Lexus model placed first in the comparison, then there wouldn't be so much criticism". Fact is, a lot of us here on CL will criticize the methodology regardless of the results. I'm not complaining about the results, but only the methodology. If C&D ranks a Lexus highly, I still criticize their methodology because it's quite flawed no matter what results they get. Same thing with Edmunds comparison tests. Edmunds has now established a pattern of flawed and totally inconsistent comparisons/reviews, especially when they review the SAME car twice over a period of time and end up with vastly different conclusions/observations on each review/comparison.

Sorry, but real-world driving was NOT a "significant" part of their test loop. Again, it was done on a RACE track. Regardless of any simulated routes or loops they did on the track, a race track is NOT the same as streets and highways that are used daily by people. A race track does not have potholes, manhole covers and very rarely does it have a crumbling surface. Testing on a race track simply is NOT indicative of real-world streets and highways. Further, there was no real traffic on the race track, which again is not indicative of real-world conditions. How good is the refinement of each car in a traffic jam? How quiet is the interior when there is bus or big rig beside you? How good is the car's comfort or refinement when driving on a street riddled with potholes and manhole covers?

The Corolla S is NOT the "sportier version" of the Corolla. That is the XRS, complete with sport-tuned suspension. The Corolla S is simply another trim of the regular Corolla model, just like there is the Civic DX or LX. The Si, XRS, or Mazdaspeed3 have nothing to do with this. Those are sport-tuned variants of the regular models and I did not mention them.

Results that aren't jaded by the industry? They were on a race track wearing helmets. How is that NOT jaded? Please explain to me exactly HOW that is indicative of real-world driving conditions.

Why should Edmunds target a test towards average people; because by Edmunds' own admission, they selected reviewers based on a "cross-section of the American buying public". So Edmunds themselves admits this was NOT just for regular Edmunds readers, but meant to be a comparison test for the regular American car buying public ( the "average joe").
Old 06-10-08, 11:06 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, a simulated city driving course does not equal to the "real" city driving, not at all. Did they include the gazillion traffic lights? The annoying traffics? The short distance stop and go? The horrible road surface like we have here in LA? The outside noise? Let's keep in mind here that we are talking about the COMPACT SEDANS, people drive these car because they have to, not because they want to...

Also, why would they test the Corolla S if they didn't also test the Civic Si and whatever the sportier version of the Mazda is called?
You are kidding right? Corolla S is just a sportier version of the regular Corolla but it's not on par as the Civic Si and Mazdaspeed 3.

Those people, however, are NOT the people that are going to be reading Edmunds.com, so why should a car publication target a test toward the tastes of people that almost never visit their site?
That's where you are mistaken. Edmunds.com is intended to supply auto buying information to the overall general population and Edmunds Inside Line (IL) is the enthusiasts site, those are two different entities but under one corporation call Edmunds. I know this because I am part of Inside Line's user panel, have personally talked to IL editor-in-chief, Scott Oldham (yes, he hates the IS F, but his boss, the chief editor, likes it though...) and I have a friend who works for Edmunds. If this kind of test is done by IL then I would have no argument but the test was clearly done by Edmunds and according to my friend, IL took almost no part of it. That's why I said that a more meaningful test for Edmunds.com readers would be letting the testers drive around metro LA for a day.
Old 06-10-08, 11:20 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Basically, any time that a Toyota is tested on a road course, the comparo is flawed.

Also, any time that a Toyota is tested by people who have an interest in cars (so basically every road test), the comparo is flawed.

Yep.
Old 06-10-08, 11:34 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguy101
Basically, any time that a Toyota is tested on a road course, the comparo is flawed.

Also, any time that a Toyota is tested by people who have an interest in cars (so basically every road test), the comparo is flawed.

Yep.
Once again, I curiously ask, are you baiting and inciting flaming with your comments?

Why not contribute something more meaningful to the topic? Some people might assume that if you have nothing to contribute, you imply that you agree with the reasoning of why this comparison is so out-of-touch and irrelevant.

Also please note I am explicitly referring to the comparison, specifically the methodology of it. Nowhere have I referred to the results of the comparison.
Old 06-10-08, 11:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep.
Nope.

I think the point is:

Corollas (or most Toyotas in general) are not meant to be pushed in a track course. Of course, when people (usually car enthusiasts) are invited to a track day (alright, so it mostly will be car enthusiasts), almost all will push the car to its limit, making the test unreliable because that is not what is done in everyday driving situations.

The comparison is not flawed. The results speak for themselves.

However, the comparison is unreliable, because the test subjects are skewed. The test subjects are biased towards a certain kind of car -- something the Corolla isn't.
Old 06-10-08, 11:59 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Nope.

I think the point is:

Corollas (or most Toyotas in general) are not meant to be pushed in a track course. Of course, when people (usually car enthusiasts) are invited to a track day (alright, so it mostly will be car enthusiasts), almost all will push the car to its limit, making the test unreliable because that is not what is done in everyday driving situations.

The comparison is not flawed. The results speak for themselves.

However, the comparison is unreliable, because the test subjects are skewed. The test subjects are biased towards a certain kind of car -- something the Corolla isn't.
Exactly. By this reasoning, all published comparos involving Toyotas are unreliable because:

1) All comparisons do part of the test on a track
2) All comparisons are done by "skewed" reviewers that are interested in cars
Old 06-10-08, 12:12 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Everyday drivers want sport.

Everyday drivers buy comfort.
I confess! I'm an everyday driver!

Although, if you read the consumer reviews, crappy handling wasn't the only reason that the Corolla was placed so low by everyone.

Several of these consumer testers felt that the Corolla was uncomfortable, cheap feeling, noisy, and unstable at high speeds.

Last edited by carguy101; 06-10-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 12:23 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Exactly. By this reasoning, all published comparos involving Toyotas are unreliable because:

1) All comparisons do part of the test on a track
2) All comparisons are done by "skewed" reviewers that are interested in cars
If it's for the performance oriented cars like the IS/3er/G (I'll even give you GS/5er/M) then you might have a point... But good god, We are talking about econoboxes here!!

Old 06-10-08, 12:32 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

And I find it incredibly stupid that they discounted the Mitsubishi Lancer that showed up because it had a sunroof and a "big fancy" stereo that costs money.

Because those are big-ticket performance upgrades right?
Old 06-10-08, 12:39 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ffpower
If it's for the performance oriented cars like the IS/3er/G (I'll even give you GS/5er/M) then you might have a point... But good god, We are talking about econoboxes here!!

Yep, and all Toyota sells are econoboxes, cushy sedans, trucks and SUVs.

So no one better do a comparo that includes a Toyota!

Old 06-10-08, 12:48 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, and all Toyota sells are econoboxes, cushy sedans, trucks and SUVs.

So no one better do a comparo that includes a Toyota!

Dude... I gave up. I'd recommend you do the same.

Apparently this article was supposed to rate these cars like Consumer Reports does washing machines. As soulless appliances. Because apparently that's how the majority of non inside line Edmunds readers view cars. Little did I know despite me shopping for an econobox to replace my 335i in a bit over a year, that I was wrong for wanting to actually enjoy driving said replacement vehicle.

I stand corrected. I suggest you do the same so that some people here can dismiss this test, sleep well tonight, and continue to feel better about mother Toyota knowing that they defended her superiority with valor all while claiming a lack of bias based on the outcome.