Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CTS-V's official power/performance numbers are in

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 03:24 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is sweet! I might have to take a look at that when it comes out.
Old 06-09-08, 03:37 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have they announced the pricing. It'll be an amazing deal if it costs as much as the IS-f, but for M5 money I'd pass.
Old 06-09-08, 04:20 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thats like me going into a Corolla/Civic thread and bashing the car's puny little horsepower rating Focus people....focus.
I've got plenty of focus. At $1 gallon I'd be yoohooing right along with the usual hp fanboys. At $5 a gallon

Last edited by RON430; 06-09-08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-09-08, 04:48 PM
LexFather

FANTASTIC!! Glad to see an American company meet and possible beat the status quo here. Go Caddy!!!

Now if they put the same effort in the rest of the lineup.......

Old 06-09-08, 05:11 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newr
damn, that's a lot of hp & tq.. Who is going to be the first person wrapping this car around a tree?
hopefully not me lol

please have a wagon version, please please please.
Old 06-09-08, 05:13 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Without trying to rub salt in anybody's particular wounds, I would be a lot more interested in what Caddy is doing to replace the DTS and more than likely improve the STS than talking about yet another variant of the CTS. Lexus never gets very far away from their customer base, which in all honesty, isn't represented very well here. I think they would do better finding the new definition of American luxury car than just "inventing" hp.
Old 06-09-08, 06:58 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The STS and DTS are finished. They're both being replaced by one RWD vehicle. The CTS Coupe (CTC) and CTS wagon are right around the corner.

With the CTS-V, Cadillac is doing what GM does best - create extremely fast, excellent handling vehicles. Think ZR-1.. This is what GM is good at.

Forget about Cadillac ever being the "standard of the world" again - because GM will never give Cadillac the financial freedom to make that possible.

Cadillac makes "good" luxury sports cars. The CTS-V is an exception - as it is one of the best luxury sport sedans available today.
Old 06-09-08, 07:02 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Just an FYI, Ron430. People who aren't interested in high performance vehicles generally don't care about news like this (the topic of this discussion) - and likewise - people who aren't interested in gas sipping automobiles generally aren't interested in discussions about the Prius. Either way, it doesn't make pissing on threads any less annoying.
Old 06-10-08, 12:16 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Its pretty obvious Caddy didn't build this car for people who are trying to squeeze mileage out of a daily driver. If you use a car like this to travel to work and back everyday, you better be able to pony up for the fuel. Most likely this car will be the weekend fun machine with the occasional blasts to work to show off. Get a Prius DD and be done with it.

On the subject of the CTS-V... I really love this car. The regular CTS is so gorgeous to me and this, along with its performance numbers, just make me drool. Nothing has made me desire a car in a very long time as these new Caddys. Go GM (can't believe I actually said that)!
Old 06-10-08, 12:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Just an FYI, Ron430. People who aren't interested in high performance vehicles generally don't care about news like this (the topic of this discussion) - and likewise - people who aren't interested in gas sipping automobiles generally aren't interested in discussions about the Prius. Either way, it doesn't make pissing on threads any less annoying.
FYI, the manufacturers make what sells. If they get in their heads that there are people who want performance and fuel mileage, they just might work on it.
Old 06-10-08, 12:32 PM
mhlamin
Rookie

Originally Posted by josephlee
WOW..another gasoline burner

werd cause your car runs on water.

just cause gas prices are up, doesn't mean we should all go out any buy hybrids, some true enthusiasts will still do whatever it takes to go fast. shoot, I would sell an organ for that car, but sadly, all my organs aren't even work 60k. lol

and yes, from what i hear a this motor is significantly de-tuned soo a larger pulley will easily see 6xx whp with some bolt-ons (same motor as zr-1)
Old 06-10-08, 12:32 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

If only GM would let Cadillac build the Sixteen *dreams*
Old 06-10-08, 12:44 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhlamin
and yes, from what i hear a this motor is significantly de-tuned soo a larger pulley will easily see 6xx whp with some bolt-ons (same motor as zr-1)
It hasn't actually been confirmed that it's detuned yet... GM has been known to rate a car at XXX power that is lower than their flagship car, but when people actually stick them on the dyno, they find out they make nearly as much power as the flagship car.

Example: 98-02 LS1 f-bodies (Camaro/Firebird) were rated at 305hp. The Vette was rated at 350. But dynos showed that they both made almost identical power.. both right around 350.

I heard somebody say that the new testing methods don't allow them to under rate cars by much anymore but that doesn't appear to be too true since there are still quite a few cars on the market making more power than they're rated at.

BTW it would be a smaller pulley if they wanted to increase S/C boost and make more power.
Old 06-10-08, 12:49 PM
mhlamin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Threxx
It hasn't actually been confirmed that it's detuned yet... GM has been known to rate a car at XXX power that is lower than their flagship car, but when people actually stick them on the dyno, they find out they make nearly as much power as the flagship car.

Example: 98-02 LS1 f-bodies (Camaro/Firebird) were rated at 305hp. The Vette was rated at 350. But dynos showed that they both made almost identical power.. both right around 350.

I heard somebody say that the new testing methods don't allow them to under rate cars by much anymore but that doesn't appear to be too true since there are still quite a few cars on the market making more power than they're rated at.

BTW it would be a smaller pulley if they wanted to increase S/C boost and make more power.

lol, yeah my bad, i forgot about the pulley thing (i'm more of a turbo guy)

I sure hope that they are underrated though, but I was at the chevy dealership the other day and heard this.
Old 06-10-08, 12:53 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The STS and DTS are finished. They're both being replaced by one RWD vehicle. The CTS Coupe (CTC) and CTS wagon are right around the corner.

With the CTS-V, Cadillac is doing what GM does best - create extremely fast, excellent handling vehicles. Think ZR-1.. This is what GM is good at.
The thing you left out is that they make Corvettes that have been known for falling apart on the drive home from the dealer. If good value is putting up with performance and unreliability, then they are the experts. As for excellent handling, the CTS has improved and I don't mean to detract from that. Personally, I don't credit GM with handling being the best thing it does. Far from it. And if you want to reference the Corvette in relation to Cadillac you might want to look at the XLR and what it has done for the Cadillac customer. A balance between handling and ride is what is needed, painfully so in the luxury/sport sedan class, and this is something that GM has never done very well.

Forget about Cadillac ever being the "standard of the world" again - because GM will never give Cadillac the financial freedom to make that possible.

Cadillac makes "good" luxury sports cars. The CTS-V is an exception - as it is one of the best luxury sport sedans available today.
I didn't post that Cadillac should, or could, ever be the standard of luxury in the world again. That ship has sailed. What I did say was that I felt they should try to define American luxury and create that niche. We have longer distances here to traverse than most any country. We are a large people. Rock hard seats and intrusive side bolsters may be some people's cup of tea but they aren't useful for a lot of Americans. And yes, the typical American does like the ride/handling equation geared a bit more towards the soft ride end of the spectrum. And I believe the American consumer is more concerned with NVH than I see worked on in other countries cars. I feel that Caddy would be better served trying to define what an American luxury car would be and trying to move in that direction. Stuffing large engines in small cars or rebadging yet another Holden isn't winning them much respect in my book. In their mind they are adding potential new Cadillac customers with the direction they are taking. And that might be so. It might also be that they are abandoning their traditional customer. We'll find out going forward.

Having said that, I should more than likely recant from my statements on the CTS-V. That car was in development quite a while ago and there is nothing to be saved by stoping it now. And, in all likelihood, no one who posted in this thread will ever own one, posts notwithstanding. We are more than likely going to see several new car introductions in the next year or two of vehicles that have been in development before the oil spike and the automakers will hype them to the best of their ability. And then quietly trim production as they get more desirable product in the showrooms. Just have to wait and see.I am not sure how it will be resolved but I believe that it is Cadillac that has said they are out of the V8 development business. With usual corporate gobbledygook, no one is quite sure what that means. Whether the CTS-V is a last hurrah or not will have to be seen. And whether we are at a change in the auto landscape or not kind of depends on what happens with oil more than anything. So at the same time as the General is touting the hp of the CTS-V it is also getting closer to the Volt. Personally I don't think I want either extreme. Certainly not with GM build quality. And the General hasn't been very successful at striking balances. Cadillac is making better cars than they ever have and should be applauded. And I do get the point that those who live on high hp press releases have gotten their fix. Now we will see whether the CTS-V and even vehicles like the Camaro are just too late to market from the sales numbers. Assuming Caddy breaks out CTS-V sales.

Quick Reply: CTS-V's official power/performance numbers are in