Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Mercury Done? (Official, dead)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 04:07 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, if it eventually happens, the only people that will miss it are the ones that haven't bought one in 25 years.
I haven't/never bought one and I won't miss it

the only mercury that I remember is the capri and the cougar that was posted earlier. Oh, and the merkur that I always thought looked like a saab.
Old 05-27-10, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes, there is a BIG difference between being interested in a car and actually buying one.
Many people, though, who cannot afford the model they want new often end up buying pre-owned or older versions of the same vehicle. That's what I first did when I was young.

BTW, I bought a Merkur XR4TI when they first came out - Lost my shirt on it too.
You're not kidding. American-market Merkurs depreciated faster than some cars police-impounded for drug operation.

It was the same way with the British Sterlings, which came out about the same time. The Sterling was a interesting mixture of a reliable Honda Accord drivetrain and classic British body/interior/coachwork. It failed to catch on in America, though, and was pulled after just a few years.
Old 05-27-10, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

the only mercury that I remember is the capri and the cougar that was posted earlier. Oh, and the merkur that I always thought looked like a saab.
Were the Merkurs sold at Mercury shops in your part of CA? Here they were strictly limited to Ford dealerships, not Mercury.

I fail, though, to see how either Merkur product looked like a Saab?

Old 05-27-10, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So.....after Mercury folds (and assuming that IS-SV is correct and GMC, even though it does only Chevy truck/SUV clones, survives), who then will be the NEXT automaker out of the U.S. market? Mitsubishi? Suzuki? Maserati? (This issue might need a separate thread, but I'm hesitant to start one until if and when Mercury actually DOES fold).

My hunch says Mitsubishi, especially if the new all-electric model soon coming out fizzles. The Evo/Ralliart junkies will simply not be enough to justify keeping the company here. The Eclipse was once quite popular, especially the GS-T/GS-X turbo versions, and had a widespread following, but they screwed it up about 10 years ago with the new 3Gen model, which simply gave up too much. None of their other U.S.-market models, for a number of reasons, really compete any more.
Old 05-27-10, 07:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Yes, there is a BIG difference between being interested in a car and actually buying one."

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Many people, though, who cannot afford the model they want new often end up buying pre-owned or older versions of the same vehicle. That's what I first did when I was young.
That's true. But since we are on the topic of Mercury....

If that's the main hope to move metal at the Mercury division (selling used or pre-owned cars to the young and poor), that's surely a going out of business or train-wreck scenario.

The potential closing of any crappy auto division is largely an economic business decision, despite the emotional attachments (often non-buyers of that brand) have to certain brands. Yes we can guess as to which brands will fail next based on the unworthiness of the products, but the guessing is incomplete without the corresponding financial analysis too.

Last edited by IS-SV; 05-27-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 07:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Were the Merkurs sold at Mercury shops in your part of CA? Here they were strictly limited to Ford dealerships, not Mercury.

I fail, though, to see how either Merkur product looked like a Saab?

Around here Merkurs were sold only thru Lincoln-Mercury dealerships. Mine was black just like in the picture. Even had the bra.
Old 05-27-10, 07:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Around here Merkurs were sold only thru Lincoln-Mercury dealerships.
Same here in northern CA.
Old 05-27-10, 08:35 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford, not the consumer, are responsible for Mercury's demise. You have to offer a product worth spending the extra money on.
Old 05-27-10, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Ford, not the consumer, are responsible for Mercury's demise. You have to offer a product worth spending the extra money on.
I'm not sure I agree with that logic. If Ford, makes products worth buying, then why not their virtually identical Mercury versions as well? The difference between them, price-wise, is not much, and Mercurys (usually) come with a little more perks and standard equipment/trim to justify the (slightly) higher price. One of the rare differences where the Ford version actually DOES offer more equipment is on the Explorer, where the Mercury Mountaineer version does not include a low-range transfer case for off-road driving. But that, of course, is because Mercury buyers are less-likely to go off-road with their Mountaineers.

As I see it, to say that Fords are worth buying and Mercurys are not is like saying you'll date one supermodel, but not the other.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-10 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 09:44 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

As I see it, to say that Fords are worth buying and Mercurys are not is like saying you'll date one supermodel, but not the other.
Amen to that
Old 05-27-10, 09:47 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Mercury still exists? I did not know that.
Old 05-27-10, 10:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by darkdream
Mercury still exists? I did not know that.
In the last decade or two, you didn't miss much.
Old 05-27-10, 11:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
In the last decade or two, you didn't miss much.

Hilarious, but so true. Been saying all along that Mercury needs to go away. Time to ramp up the Lincoln brand to be more competitive. Mercury is so yesterday.
Old 05-28-10, 05:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure I agree with that logic. If Ford, makes products worth buying, then why not their virtually identical Mercury versions as well? The difference between them, price-wise, is not much, and Mercurys (usually) come with a little more perks and standard equipment/trim to justify the (slightly) higher price. One of the rare differences where the Ford version actually DOES offer more equipment is on the Explorer, where the Mercury Mountaineer version does not include a low-range transfer case for off-road driving. But that, of course, is because Mercury buyers are less-likely to go off-road with their Mountaineers.

But--what has Ford done to their Mercury models to differentiate them, and justify the added price? A different grille and tail lights doesn't cut it.

There are many on CL that rag on the Lexus ES350 as "just a Camry". But the styling is very different, and Lexus offers many more lux features than are available on the Camry. Ford does this too--for its Lincoln brand. Which leaves Mecury models as just more expensive Fords, or less expensive Lincolns.

I think that if most people want to pony up for the more expensive version, they want the Lincoln. And if they don't, how is fully-loaded Ford version any different than the Mercury?

Chrysler finally figured this out years ago with Plymouth.
Old 05-28-10, 08:15 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the big question re Mercury folding is what to do with the LM dealer network. There is not enough product nor volume for most dealers to survive on Lincoln sales alone. As mentioned in articles, it is probably a way to force consolidation so most Ford dealers will become Ford-Lincoln dealers. In large metro areas, there will probably be some dedicated Lincoln dealers.

The question of GMC is entirely different. GMC provides the Buick dealers truck, SUV, and crossover offerings to sell. Also, I've heard that in Canada, GMC outsells Chevy trucks.

Quick Reply: Is Mercury Done? (Official, dead)