Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche is working on a Porsche badged Volkswagen Golf

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 10:07 PM
LexFather

Arrow Porsche is working on a Porsche badged Volkswagen Golf

As weird as this may sound, it seems Porsche is working on a Porsche badged Volkswagen Golf for 2012. Now, we know that the Volkswagen Golf is a huge success, but a Porsche version of the car seems like a totally absurd idea; unless of course Porsche is postioning itself to become more mainstream and compete with BMW.

The picture below is on the cover of the new AutoBild magazine. The caption next to it read (in German) ”kompakte geheim-projekte bis 2012. der porsche-golf.” That translates to “compact secret projects until 2012. the Porsche-Golf.”

Old 06-09-08, 10:12 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 752 Likes on 522 Posts

If Porsche wants to "move down" to compete with BMW, what the hell is Audi around for then? Are they going to move Audi more towards the MB/Lexus direction with it being more comfort focused?
Old 06-09-08, 10:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i pray this is some sort of sick joke... i mean the Golf is a solid platform no doubt, for something like an R32... but to elevate it beyond that to something of Porsche caliber??? I don't know...
Old 06-10-08, 12:10 AM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks alright...

I think it's a great idea, and I hope they go through with it.

They've been making the same car for almost forever, it's about time they expand. Why not? I don't think they ever stated they would be an exclusive car maker. And they're not a luxury car maker.

The smaller the car, the easier it is to be sporty. This is the direction *all* sports car makers should be heading.

And contrary to what so many think, the less you care about the image, the bigger your actual self confidence? I'm sure at some point that argument will be made.

I have read that Audi is trying to go upmarket (R8), and smaller sports cars are the future (Ferrari).

This thing could be scary fast! It's the thing I like best about the new BMW 1er. It's the real thing.

But I wonder if things like these are inside jokes to the execs at these companies. "Let's make a car that has limited use, a ton of power, and we'll price it 1.5-3x over our competitors." Because only the filthy rich (and the dedicated) spend more money to get less.

Last edited by 2010mRXsh; 06-10-08 at 12:14 AM. Reason: even more words
Old 06-10-08, 07:24 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this will hurt porsche's image with the wealthier buyers who buy there most expensive cars that make up most of there profit.
Old 06-10-08, 07:29 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Thing is, they probably could charge people the same price for this as a Boxster to keep it sort of up market. Probably will not work out that way.

There has to be some people who like Porsche but dont want a Boxster or Cayman and the Carrera are slightly pricy with all the options, so make a Golf sized car with the power of a Boxster/Cayman, it could be pretty quick and really fuel efficient. Plus you have space to put stuff now.
Old 06-10-08, 07:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I hate the idea, I hope not
Old 06-10-08, 07:40 AM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
I think this will hurt porsche's image with the wealthier buyers who buy there most expensive cars that make up most of there profit.
Could certainly hurt their image. But I'm sure people said that when Porsche came out with all their other non-911's?

But I don't think people who buy their most expensive cars make up most of their profit. Do you mean the super 911s, or the GTs, or just the regular 911s? Because $72,000 is a lot more like $50,000 than $200,000-$500,000.

I thought everyone buying those "cheap" Porsches were helping to fund the GT and such.

Has anyone seen the price on the Panamera? Shocking!!!! I swear I thought it was closer to $150,000. I think, if anyone bites, they'll be making money. This is supposed to compete with like CLS and such, isn't it? The price is way off. I know, two more seats, but still! It should be much less. By that number, this car will go for...$65,000.

I wonder if the auto industry is going to shift toward model lines that reflect our economy more. Because if the rich are getting a lot richer, and the middle class are getting squeezed...that would explain this car, and cars like the GT--actually, all the GT types.

Can you imagine how many high school kids would get this car over a 1 or 3 series? Wow.

Last edited by 2010mRXsh; 06-10-08 at 07:43 AM. Reason: more words
Old 06-10-08, 08:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche needs to stay with their racing heritage and prestige.

There is nothing prestigious with a Porsche-Golf...
Old 06-10-08, 08:43 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Response to CAFE?

This is just a bad idea any way you look at it........
Old 06-10-08, 09:46 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I might be crazy but if Porsche prices this thing reasonably (~$40k), and gives it BoxsterS/CaymanS kind of handling then I wouldn't mind to consider one. Would be a heck of fun car for track day that's for sure...
Old 06-10-08, 10:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Worse idea ever. And I thought VW was the one that needed assistance with its numerous model lines.
Old 06-10-08, 10:42 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Response to CAFE?

This is just a bad idea any way you look at it........
yeah, that was my first thought too (CAFE)
but hey, remember that mid engine golf they shoved a W12 in.
maybe? i can dream though right?
Old 06-10-08, 01:06 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

wait what? hasnt porsche been rebadging VWs since the 1950s? i keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed
Old 06-10-08, 01:08 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea of small somewhat inexpensive, practical but still high quality and fun to drive cars.

This sounds like it could be one.

Though I do agree it does water down the Porsche name quite a bit.

I guess I like the car but don't think it's a smart move for the brand.

Quick Reply: Porsche is working on a Porsche badged Volkswagen Golf