Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TSX to receive 44MPG diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 10:48 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd buy it and i don't even like hondas! that torque will make the lack of horsepower unnoticeable. seriously, there are a lot of misconceptions about diesel performance in this country. torque is what gets you moving and accelerating. torque makes it easy to climb hills onthe freeway without downshifting. light to light, in traffic, a turbo diesel will destroy the gas version. example, my dodge ram cummins. 235 hp, 460 lb ft. stock. i have a few mods on it, that bring it to 300 hp and 645 lb ft for less than $500. it will now out pull and out accelerate a HEMI powered gas truck while getting better economy.
Old 06-10-08, 11:11 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19psi
i'd buy it and i don't even like hondas! that torque will make the lack of horsepower unnoticeable.
Until you got on the highway and trying to keep up with the speed...
Old 06-10-08, 11:30 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That kind of fuel economy rating has to stand up to the EPA testing methods. Thus, it will probably less.

FYI, the Civic hybrid returned quite a bit better fuel economy than the 2.2L Civic diesel.
Old 06-10-08, 12:17 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

44 mpg is very very impressive. Probably TSX would become the best selling Acura vehicle in the soon future.
Old 06-10-08, 12:23 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlad_Stein
Unfortunately, the US has no capacity to increase the amount of diesel it can refine (because of the refining technology that is used in US). The only practical short-term solution is to import diesel.
refineries can make more diesel if they wanted, they just have to make less gasoline.
Old 06-10-08, 12:55 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpower
Until you got on the highway and trying to keep up with the speed...
hmmm.. i have a 7000 lb. dodge ram that will do 80 all day long up hills towing a car and trailer. usually it's the cars that can't keep up with me!

audi uses a diesel in their R8 race car. they dont' seem to have a problem keeping up with traffic!
believe me, diesel technology gives up nothing to a gas powered car in today's market.
Old 06-10-08, 01:03 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

The only problem with that MPG number is that when it comes to our shores, we will never see numbers like that. The new VW Jetta that gets close to 50 in Europe gets BARELY 41 MPG in the states. I think that when the we get the final numbers for the TSX, we'll more than likely see it around the mid 30's. Which isn't shabby, but nowhere near the numbers that they get in the EU.
Old 06-10-08, 01:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

hopefully the figures in the articles have been converted to US gallons already and not imperial gallons
Old 06-10-08, 01:06 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
The only problem with that MPG number is that when it comes to our shores, we will never see numbers like that. The new VW Jetta that gets close to 50 in Europe gets BARELY 41 MPG in the states. I think that when the we get the final numbers for the TSX, we'll more than likely see it around the mid 30's. Which isn't shabby, but nowhere near the numbers that they get in the EU.
I hope that's not the case. Are you sure that the VW Jetta's 50 in Europe isn't quoted using imperial gallons which are significantly larger in volume than US gallons?

I'd hope that the author of this article on the TSX was intelligent enough to have already made that conversion for us when he quoted the mileage figures.

If it's getting 34/53 imperial gallons then that's way way less exciting, especially for diesel.
Old 06-10-08, 01:14 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
TSX already requires premium, so the diesel is a huge gain in mileage for it, +13 mpg city +15 mpg highway for 10% more fuel cost, not bad. If you do a lot of highway driving thats where diesel excels. Hybrids excel in the city
The TSX doesn't require premium fuel. It is also a 23mpg gain on the highway over the petrol motor, not 15.
Old 06-10-08, 02:53 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
I hope that's not the case. Are you sure that the VW Jetta's 50 in Europe isn't quoted using imperial gallons which are significantly larger in volume than US gallons?

I'd hope that the author of this article on the TSX was intelligent enough to have already made that conversion for us when he quoted the mileage figures.

If it's getting 34/53 imperial gallons then that's way way less exciting, especially for diesel.
I'm pretty sure the article was in US gallons. It came from an online US magazine so I would hope that it was corrected. In any case, there was serious optimism about the new Jetta Diesel, and then VW goes and lays this egg. I hope that Honda/Acura does better than that.
Old 06-10-08, 02:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Is this the same 2.2 litre diesel in the Civic hatchback in the UK?

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That kind of fuel economy rating has to stand up to the EPA testing methods. Thus, it will probably less.

FYI, the Civic hybrid returned quite a bit better fuel economy than the 2.2L Civic diesel.
Yes but fantastic fuel mileage (into the 70mpg range) is possible with little driving change.

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
The TSX doesn't require premium fuel. It is also a 23mpg gain on the highway over the petrol motor, not 15.
It is recommended though.
Old 06-10-08, 06:45 PM
06TLDude
Rookie

Actually
HONDA has spent decades establishing a reputation for fuel efficiency. But nothing in the company’s current lineup, including its Civic Hybrid, can match the mileage of the diesel Accord that I recently tested in and around New York City.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/au...ef=automobiles
Old 06-10-08, 07:24 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06TLDude
I won't be holding my breath...
Old 06-10-08, 07:26 PM
LexFather

I won't be holding my breath...
You are right. Its not just Honda, all diesels in Europe that come here get lower ratings. Could be b/c of the fuel as well.

Quick Reply: Acura TSX to receive 44MPG diesel engine