Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota confirms 2010 release date for plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 07:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota confirms 2010 release date for plug-in hybrid

Posted on Wednesday 11 June 2008

Toyota confirms 2010 release date for plug-in hybrid

Toyota has confirmed it will release a plug-in hybrid vehicle powered by next-generation lithium-ion batteries in Japan, the U.S. and Europe by 2010. The batteries for the future car will be manufactured in a joint-venture with Matsu****a Electric and will start initial production next year before going into full-scale production in 2010.

The first batch of plug-in hybrids will be chargeable from a regular household power outlet and will be targeted at leasing customers, Toyota execs revealed today.

Toyota will also establish a new battery research department to develop advanced power storage technology superior to even lithium-ion batteries for its future generation of hybrid and all-electric vehicles, Reuters reports. Additionally, Toyota is also developing advanced hydrogen technology and only this week revealed its fifth-generation fuel-cell vehicle.

Soon after the 2010 deadline, Toyota expects to be selling one million hybrid vehicles per year and will be offering the petrol-electric option on many more models. By that time its next-generation Prius hybrid will also be on the market and is likely to be available in several different bodystyles for the first time.

General Motors is also aiming to release its Volt plug-in hybrid by 2010 but it is yet to confirm the release date.
Source
Old 06-11-08, 07:25 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is really good news.
Old 06-11-08, 07:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting.

Will it be a plug in of a current model? Or will it be a completely brand new model?
Old 06-11-08, 08:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the mpg gain for a li-ion plug in is going to be large. Plug in ensures that the battery is always topped off each morning hence you can use the electric motor more and use even less gas. Li-Ion has deeper charge than NimH and again since you have deeper charge you can use the electric motor more
Old 05-22-09, 06:25 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Doubts

The idea that plug-in hybrids aren't all they're cracked up to be isn't a new one. Carnegie Mellon University has even published a study that calls the technology inefficient and cost-prohibitive. Now it looks like Toyota may be in agreement, saying it doesn't expect more than 50,000 plug-in hybrid sales a year - across the entire industry.

That's a tiny amount compared to even the Toyota Prius, which alone sold almost 160,000 copies in 2008. The gloomy outlook on plug-in hybrid sales is based on their high price, long recharge times and durability issues with their battery-dependent systems, Bill Reinert, Toyota's U.S. manager for advanced technology, told the National Academy of Sciences panel in Washington today.

A Bloomberg report also highlights the relationship between fuel prices and interest in hybrids, particularly plug-in hybrids, which can escape the need for fuel altogether under certain circumstances.

General Motors has previously made its disagreement with such assessments of plug-in hybrid technology known, saying that expense alone isn't always a problem for buyers of hybrids. There is ideological motivation behind the purchase, or at least a social motivation.

And beyond that, it will be difficult to achieve the newly announced national fuel efficiency standards' rapid rises without some form of more advanced powertrain technology. Carnegie Mellon's study found that using smaller battery packs that provide just 7-12mi range on electricity would yield the ultimate balance of efficiency and cost.

Toyota is still expected to release its own plug-in hybrid by late 2009 or early 2010 according to the latest reports, however, and testing of the vehicles is already underway.
Old 05-22-09, 06:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

gas isnt crazy at the moment, new/used cars can be had for cheap due to the economy. The incentive to purchase a hybrid is not there.
Old 05-22-09, 07:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
gas isnt crazy at the moment, new/used cars can be had for cheap due to the economy. The incentive to purchase a hybrid is not there.
Gas shot up 0.35 here in two weeks
Old 05-22-09, 07:45 AM
LexFather

Toyota is so far ahead of the curve here its not even funny. I am interested in the new Prius but now I think I shall really wait and see what this is about.

So are yall saying 75MPG or higher is possible, if it has the same setup as the hybrid only Prius?

Old 05-22-09, 08:24 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I moved home this week from a crowded college town to the Philadelphia area. Traffic everywhere. I don't see myself living here without a hybrid now. I can't believe how much has changed. However, my fervor for a MT will inhibit me from buying any hybrids on the market currently. Although, I would definately be interested in plugging in my hybrid to eek a few more miles out of it. Even it were only like 5.
Old 05-22-09, 09:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This doesn't really tell us the most important part... range and drive modes.

You can make a Prius a plug in hybrid if you want to... it just doesn't really improve the efficiency of the vehicle that much because the batteries only have enough capacity to get people out of their neighborhood.

The Volt is special because it's driven entirely by electricity the entire time you're driving. It's an electric vehicle with a gasoline backup generator. And it has a 40 mile range without using gasoline.

In order for this car to compete with the Volt it's got to have a significant range on electricity only.
Old 05-22-09, 09:42 AM
LexFather

The Volt is the one that has everything to prove though. Its unproven and might cost 40k. The Prius is the leader here in the hybrid segment and seems to be willing to also lead the plug in charge.

I want the Volt to succeed but it has A LOT to prove.

Old 05-22-09, 09:47 AM
LexFather

lol, I'm commenting on Andrews article, not the updated on.

So Toyota is ho-hum on sales, but still pushing forward. We shall see.

Old 05-22-09, 10:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
might cost 40k.
That seems to be pretty much confirmed at this point. My only hope is that 40k will get you a car with a nice interior, nice driving experience, and all or most features standard. If they try to introduce that car at 40 grand without nav and with cloth seats, etc... it's going to be a hard sell.

Part of me thinks they would have been better off using half the battery packs and only having a 20-22 mile range (I say 22 because with half the packs the weight is reduced greatly and the range would probably increase in the city), and being able to sell the car for thousands less. One reason they might not have is that the government would then give out half the tax credit on the car and that would probably eliminate most of the savings. Just one more example of the government potentially screwing up the free market.

The Prius is the leader here in the hybrid segment and seems to be willing to also lead the plug in charge.
Putting a plug on a car does not mean you're leading the 'plug in charge' to me. If Toyota puts a plug on a Prius and the net result is you can travel a quarter mile further every day than you normally would without using gas... is that really anything close enough to the Volt to put them side by side? Ford might as well stick a plug on a non hybrid Taurus before this Toyota comes out and say they won the plug in race even though they're only charging the car's 12 volt battery. See what I'm saying? Yes technically Toyota will have a plug in car, but to what benefit? Maybe it'll end up increasing the range quite a bit more... but we'll have to see. All I was saying is that the article is missing that VERY vital information.

I agree. It's a type of vehicle that doesn't exist from any manufacturer these days.

GM despite common perception does have a lot of good experience in the hybrid game. Unfortunately they've been present mostly in the commercial market on buses and such with their fairly expensive 2-mode systems. They've trickled that down to the full size truck and SUV market but of course that doesn't get anywhere near the attention that the dedicated hybrid market does, since most people that are buying a vehicle with fuel economy in mind are not buying a truck to begin with.
Old 05-22-09, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Volt is the one that has everything to prove though. Its unproven and might cost 40k. The Prius is the leader here in the hybrid segment and seems to be willing to also lead the plug in charge.

don't worry, the govt will ensure the volt is ruined or takes so long to release that it's obsolete by the time it does.
Old 05-22-09, 01:50 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
This doesn't really tell us the most important part... range and drive modes.

You can make a Prius a plug in hybrid if you want to... it just doesn't really improve the efficiency of the vehicle that much because the batteries only have enough capacity to get people out of their neighborhood.

In order for this car to compete with the Volt it's got to have a significant range on electricity only.
the plug-in will have a new Li-Ion battery versus the current Nimh for super duper range/mpg/drive modes, etc...etc.....

I've read about 2G Prius with Lithium Ion conversions that have a 30-35 mile range on electricity power.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-22-09 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota confirms 2010 release date for plug-in hybrid