Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spied: 2011 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 05:12 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this the second time they've gone back to the drawing board? First with the NSX and now this? lol
Old 06-11-08, 05:13 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexGuy2
Wrong, this is obviously a FR mule, the distance between the front wheel and the door is at least 5 inches longer than the current TSX. Seems like a full size FR sedan chasis being tested here.. also the brake rotors and tires are much bigger than the TSX.
True but length between the front wheel and door has nothing to do with FF or FR.
Old 06-11-08, 05:53 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Is this the second time they've gone back to the drawing board? First with the NSX and now this? lol
The RL coming out (already out?) is just a refresh of the current RL and a horribly done refresh at that.
Old 06-12-08, 11:32 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Isn't it a little too late for a RWD Acura? Acura will forever be stuck with the stigma of a fancy Honda, an oversized Accord, a dipped in gold Accord, etc.
isnt the ES/RX in that same of gold toyotas?

anyhow, it smells like an TL
Old 06-12-08, 11:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Diemellz

Yes they are. But for various reasons, Lexus has been more successful at it. Just look at the numbers of ES and RX they sell each year.
Old 06-12-08, 12:28 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diemellz

ES/RX are entry level vehicles. They are meant to attract new customers with less money in their hands. Once you move up the product line, you won't find FWD in any of their vehicles. On contrary in the past you could only get a flagship RL with FWD. FWD = cheap, econobox family sedans, etc. That's certainly the image one would conjure up when FWD is mentioned.
Old 06-12-08, 01:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexGuy2
Wrong, this is obviously a FR mule, the distance between the front wheel and the door is at least 5 inches longer than the current TSX. Seems like a full size FR sedan chasis being tested here.. also the brake rotors and tires are much bigger than the TSX.
Yes, you are right. I am sure its the SH-AWD I-4 TUrbo TSX that so many said was coming. Or maybe the V-8 RL from 5 years ago? Maybe its the next NSX, which will now be a 4 door.

We don't know what it is yet. You do realize everyone that has held their breathe for a RWD or a V-8 RL is either physically dead or brain dead and posting on internet forums.

Old 06-12-08, 02:45 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hah. a FR setup? really?

and i do agree with the whiffs of TL. not the RL.
Old 06-12-08, 04:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely a mule for something. The wheelbase is WAY too long for this to be a regular TSX being tested. Possibly a TL mule or an RL mule being tested.
Old 06-12-08, 04:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the RL goes to RWD, that would be fascinating for a car who in different generations went from FWD=>AWD=>RWD. Talk about rolling wheels.
Old 06-12-08, 04:16 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

I see potential if it doesn't make it to production with that front end. It looks great from the side.
Old 06-12-08, 04:20 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to see some more pics before I can tell if I like it or not. I'm sure Acura will probably change things a bit, after all, it isn't going into production for several more years. However, I still wouldn't buy one.
Old 06-12-08, 06:27 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TSX limo!!
Old 06-12-08, 08:21 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nextourer
TSX limo!!
I'm sure people would believe that before they would believe it is a RWD V8 RL.

This car is definitely a test mule for a big sedan; bigger than any sedan Acura has ever had. Whether it is a new RL thats going to be big in size like an Infiniti M or a car that is supposed to be in a class above it is unknown. However, one thing that is known for sure is that it is definitely not a test mule for any sort of TSX or TL. The TSX is already pretty much set to have only three engine options (i4, diesel, V6). The engine bay is large enough to accommodate either a diesel or V6 so the amount of stretching seen in this test mule wouldn't be necessary if this was a TSX mule. It is also not a TL because Acura already has camouflaged pre-production cars running all over the streets in the U.S. If you compare the spy pics of the TL and these mule shots, nothing matches up. Additionally, these test shots were shot overseas, where the TL doesn't belong before production begins.

As far as the car being RWD, it is a given. I'm surprised none of the real car guys on here didn't catch this yet, but you can actually SEE the rear axle nut. The front brake calipers have also been moved from their traditional Acura FWD spot up in front of the rotor to the rear of the rotor like with Honda's other RWD cars. This also means that the steering rack has been moved forward, further hinting at the RWD layout of the car. And the size of those huge rotors would be inappropriate for something like a TSX. Furthermore, the body has been stretched tremendously. The only single body panel that has not been stretched are the front doors. However, everything else has been stretched and the stretches are all in the right spots to support a transversely mounted, large engine with a RWD drivetrain. Overall, just by looking at the pics you can see that this car has been stretched over one foot than a standard TSX.
Old 06-12-08, 08:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It's obvious the car is greatly stretched compared to a conventional TSX, and it certainly is using a beefy powertrain from the looks of things. Definitely does look to be an FR layout. What's not certain is whether this is in-fact a mule for the next-gen RL. We'll have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: Spied: 2011 Acura RL