Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy's Cobalt successor...in the nude

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 09:42 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Wait really? Because the hybrid is only 24/32. Oy! Guess they had better put a 6 speed in that, which they should have done in the first place to entice more people to the mild hybrid.

Does anyone else think that GM is just way, way behind, other than the Corvette. You have vehicles like the Impala that only utilizes a 4 speed, even in V8 form. And the 5.3L puts out less HP than the Toyota 3.5L. I think GM needs a Manhattan project style overhaul.
The 2009 Malibu Hybrid's mileage goes up to 26/34... and that's still without a 6-speed auto.

The Impala and Monte are both in serious need of a redesign... but every car lineup has weak points. The 5.3 is definitely not lacking in power. 303hp with a very nice fat and responsive torque curve... drive one right next to a 3.5L Toyota and you'll see you can't always look at a sheet of paper and be done with it. Not saying it's a better engine, but to call it less powerful because it has 3 less horsepower than the best example of Toyota's 3.5L (in a far far more expensive vehicle) is kind of short sighted.
Old 06-13-08, 10:11 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like a plastic surgery facelift gone bad.

...or a ford focus.
Old 06-14-08, 08:33 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
The 2009 Malibu Hybrid's mileage goes up to 26/34... and that's still without a 6-speed auto.
Why?

The Impala and Monte are both in serious need of a redesign... but every car lineup has weak points. The 5.3 is definitely not lacking in power. 303hp with a very nice fat and responsive torque curve... drive one right next to a 3.5L Toyota and you'll see you can't always look at a sheet of paper and be done with it. Not saying it's a better engine, but to call it less powerful because it has 3 less horsepower than the best example of Toyota's 3.5L (in a far far more expensive vehicle) is kind of short sighted.
Short sighted it may be, but when you look at other brands, their smaller displacement V8s are putting more HP and torque to the wheels. Perhaps its not so bad they the Northstars are cancelled since Caddy is getting LS series engines.
Old 06-17-08, 06:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Why?
I'm not sure. GM may have the changes posted on their website somewhere though... they tend to be pretty good about making those details available to the public.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
ICobalt also uses 15 inch low rolling resistance tires. In other words, probably a poor choice for the enthusiast. You'd be better off getting a Corolla for driving fun than this. At least a Corolla comes with regular tires.
Actually the Corolla (and Prius) both come with low rolling resistance tires... Toyota just doesn't specifically call them that.

Let me guess... now that Toyota uses them, they're OK in your book, right?

Last edited by Threxx; 06-17-08 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-17-08, 09:21 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Actually the Cobalt (and Prius) both come with low rolling resistance tires... Toyota just doesn't specifically call them that.

Let me guess... now that Toyota uses them, they're OK in your book, right?
Huh ? Yes, I know the Prius comes with low rolling resistance tires, but the Prius gets dramatically better fuel economy than a Cobalt XFE.

My point was the regular Civic and the Corolla DO NOT have to rely on low rolling resistance tires to get their excellent EPA numbers. The Cobalt XFE though *does* have to rely on low rolling resistance tires, among other things, to achieve 36mpg highway.

My other point was that if you're interested in the XFE, it would not be a good buy due to the tires alone, as well as the questionable gear ratios on that manual transmission.
Old 06-17-08, 10:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Huh ? Yes, I know the Prius comes with low rolling resistance tires, but the Prius gets dramatically better fuel economy than a Cobalt XFE.

My point was the regular Civic and the Corolla DO NOT have to rely on low rolling resistance tires to get their excellent EPA numbers. The Cobalt XFE though *does* have to rely on low rolling resistance tires, among other things, to achieve 36mpg highway.

My other point was that if you're interested in the XFE, it would not be a good buy due to the tires alone, as well as the questionable gear ratios on that manual transmission.
I'm sorry... I slipped up... thought one thing and wrote another. I meant the Corolla has low rolling resistance tires. You said it has regular tires... it doesn't.