Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camaro Restoration, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-08 | 02:47 PM
Infin1ty
Driver

Default Camaro Restoration, Need Advice

Alright, so during my last visit up to MI to visit my Fiance's parents, I noticed that they have an old blue 1969 Camaro that is no longer in use, and probably never will used again. From what I can tell, body is in superb condition, especially for as long as its been sitting.

The interior isn't in as good of condition as I would like it, but its still looks pretty good. The leather was in pretty good condition, but the carpet would have to be completely replaced.

I did not get a chance to take a look at the engine, but I would be completely swapping it out, as well as getting a new transmission (its an automatic, would like to swap it out with a manual tranny.)

Anyways, it does not run at all, from what I've been told. What do you guys think would be a good price to offer them for the vehicle, so that I could start a restoration on it? I've always wanted to do this, but never really thought I would have access to one that wasn't a complete junker.

How much do guys think would have to be dropped into this vehicle, before it was drivable again?

Heres a list of everything that I know would have to be done, right off, without any of the appearance mods.

New Engine
Manual Transmission Swap
New Carpet
*Possibly a new chassis, was unable to look
New Suspension, wheels, tires, etc...
Old 06-12-08 | 02:58 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infin1ty
Alright, so during my last visit up to MI to visit my Fiance's parents, I noticed that they have an old blue 1969 Camaro that is no longer in use, and probably never will used again. From what I can tell, body is in superb condition, especially for as long as its been sitting.

The interior isn't in as good of condition as I would like it, but its still looks pretty good. The leather was in pretty good condition, but the carpet would have to be completely replaced.

I did not get a chance to take a look at the engine, but I would be completely swapping it out, as well as getting a new transmission (its an automatic, would like to swap it out with a manual tranny.)

Anyways, it does not run at all, from what I've been told. What do you guys think would be a good price to offer them for the vehicle, so that I could start a restoration on it? I've always wanted to do this, but never really thought I would have access to one that wasn't a complete junker.

How much do guys think would have to be dropped into this vehicle, before it was drivable again?

Heres a list of everything that I know would have to be done, right off, without any of the appearance mods.

New Engine
Manual Transmission Swap
New Carpet
*Possibly a new chassis, was unable to look
New Suspension, wheels, tires, etc...
Is it a base Camaro? As in not an RS, SS, or Z? Body needs to be checked out pretty well, especially if the car has been in MI. Rust in the usual places especially around the wheel wells and under body. If it has leather, it is one rare Camaro. I don't think I ever saw a 69 with leather - I've owned 7 at various times and raced a lot more. If the car is in rough shape, it isn't going to fetch a lot of money. The muscle car bubble isn't doing that well with the poor economy. Especially if it isn't something special like a Z28 with matching numbers or a Nickey or something. Restos that are done with current parts but definitely not correct for the period can be easily had in the 15 to 20K range so I would think for this car you are looking for something well under 5K as it sits, could be quite a bit less depending. Just don't know what shape it is in.

As for costs to resto it, you already know the answer. The sky's the limit. For a complete frame off with a lot of improvements you can chew up a whole lot of money, easily over 50K. If you twiddle wrenches yourself or have lower goals, it costs less. And of course the underlying question is how much you have to spend repairing what's wrong - rust, poor previous repairs, etc. I hate to say it but unless you have some connection with a 69, one of the new ones is going to do everything better than that 69 will and more than likely be cheaper. Then again, I have that connection to 69s so I'm not a good one to advise on that.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-08 | 03:11 PM
Infin1ty
Driver

It is possible that it is a later year Camaro, I was going off of what I know as far as looks for the different years. Anyways, I would not be selling the car after the restore so, as far as how much it will fetch, doesn't even matter to me, this will purely for my own satisfaction. I have always loved that early model Camaros, and honestly I have no desire to get any of the new ones (although the brand new ones they are coming out with are pretty) so that is my position on that one.

As far as model (RS, SS, Z) I am not 100% sure at this time, I am calling to talk to my future father in-law about everything tonight, so I would be able to get you more information at that point.
Old 06-12-08 | 03:25 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

I have a friend with a '69 RS/SS (hideaway healights) 350/350 that his Dad
bought new. The car has been sitting for 20 years (since we pulled the heads
and never reinstalled them) and it would probably be a good idea to restore
this car and get it back on the road.

Even though this was stored here in California for 20 years it was still
originally purchased in Canada and endured a few winters here before they
moved south to the L.A. area. The car has considerable rust issues at the
top of the rear shock towers and a few lower rocker spots are suspect
although the paint looks pretty good and you can't really see the issues
during a walk-around of the car.

Still, to put in new floor pans, shock towers, repaint the car and get the
engine and trans rebuilt... new brake and fuel lines, calipers, etc... I figure
just to make that car a safe, everyday driver would cost nearly $15K.

A full "frame off" restoration would easily cost twice that, but if you did
most of the work yourself I would estimate you could do a really nice
restoration for about $25K.

These old Camaros are, more often than not, rust buckets and have lots
of unseen "skeletons" you will likely have to deal with.
Old 06-12-08 | 06:49 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infin1ty
It is possible that it is a later year Camaro, I was going off of what I know as far as looks for the different years. Anyways, I would not be selling the car after the restore so, as far as how much it will fetch, doesn't even matter to me, this will purely for my own satisfaction. I have always loved that early model Camaros, and honestly I have no desire to get any of the new ones (although the brand new ones they are coming out with are pretty) so that is my position on that one.

As far as model (RS, SS, Z) I am not 100% sure at this time, I am calling to talk to my future father in-law about everything tonight, so I would be able to get you more information at that point.
I know you can get the year info off the web but you can also just stop a book store and take a peek in the transportation section. There have been a few books written about Camaros, musclecars, and Chevies. Take a loot at the pictures and see if you can see the one that looks right to you. The 67 and 68 were virtually identical except for the fact that the 68 had the side marker lights. The 69 was a different car and produced for a year and a half. The reskin body was actually started as a 70 1/2 model and is usually referred to that way.

Rocker panel areas are always a rust problem. The early Camaros had a problem with rust around the headlight surrounds. On the 69 it is a big ol' plastic piece and should be OK but watch for the rust where it attaches. You actually can tell a lot with a magnet. When you get to a spot that is rusted, or a bondo surprise area, the magnet may still stick but you can "feel" that there is something wrong. If the car got very wet, the floor pans under the front footwells is another place and if they are severely rusted, you probably ought to pass with what you want to do with the car.

Unfortunately with what you want to do, the two best days end up being the day you buy it and the day you sell it. But don't let that hold you back. There are a lot of guys that truly think the best thing in their lives is the next iPhone or something equally as trivial. If you don't know much about how cars work, this is a much better vehicle to learn on. The modern one will point better, get better mileage, be more comfortable and do everything better. It just won't be half as much fun as the 69.
Old 06-12-08 | 11:30 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Check out YearOne for parts availability & Cost