Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

thinking of getting a new car

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-08, 10:48 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of getting a new car

if anyone has seen my thread about my car its been heartbreaking. My parents want me to get a new car that i can drive to school without having to use triple A . i was thinking of getting a Honda fit i was just wondering if anyone has one that can give me some advice on what to get. Theres also a plus, i get to keep my lexus but it has to stay home so i dont get to drive it for a year
Old 06-12-08, 10:57 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh 0.o? I do not get your scenario... elaborate
Old 06-12-08, 11:30 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

why can't you take the IS?? The Fits are nice... new one is coming out shortly... would you want to wait for that?
Old 06-13-08, 01:19 AM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

oh the IS is my brothers car, ive seen the new one but it doesnt look so appealing to me as the one right now thats out.. oh my parents want me to go get a new car because i commute alot and i go to school at sacramento but i live in los angeles so i come down often. My parents believe that my car wont make the trip again. What happened is my car breaks everytime i drive down to socal so it brought up the question of reliability. That and my sc wastes way too much gas
Old 06-13-08, 01:32 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

at least stay in the toy family... new 09 corolla xrs/matrix xrs BUT in the Fit price range... hmm... get a yaris sedan S and VIP it (that hasnt been done yet... i think)
Old 06-13-08, 09:12 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

I don't really know much about the Fit or Yaris, but we were shopping for cars recently, & we test drove the base models of the new Corolla, Civic, & Mazda 3. I would recommend the Civic or Mazda 3. The ride quality of the Civic was the best. The Mazda 3 was a close second, & the Corolla rode worse than even my Trans Am. For power, the 3 was best, followed by the Corolla & then the Civic. The Mazda was the most fun to drive by far, and has more features that I care about for the same trim levels. It was also roomier & more enjoyable to drive than the other two, with the Civic in second.

In short, if you're looking at that level, I'd suggest the Mazda 3 or the Civic. We never tried the American models, but they could be worth a look. I would not get the Corolla, though if you were considering one before I'd still say test one for yourself. This has just been my recent experience. Yours may be different.
Old 06-13-08, 09:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by balutsc300
...oh my parents want me to go get a new car because i commute alot and i go to school at sacramento but i live in los angeles so i come down often...
So, you want a reliable car that is good on gas.

Because you had an SC, you want something sporty, but also a little bit sleeker and unique.

What's your price range?

You're a college kid, so something practical may be more appropriate.

A Scion tC perhaps? I'm not a big fan of Honda Civics, but they are good and affordable. How about a Mini Cooper? Even a Mazda3 (or even the MazdaSpeed3) can be something to take a look at...
Old 06-13-08, 10:22 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

used IS300 ftw ... i go to school on a hill (i think most of the world would call it a small mountain) ... IS300 has been great ... and before i had it, the last chick ALSO took it to school and back everyday
Old 06-13-08, 10:59 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Faymester
used IS300 ftw ... i go to school on a hill (i think most of the world would call it a small mountain) ... IS300 has been great ... and before i had it, the last chick ALSO took it to school and back everyday
Gas mileage is in the low 20's.

The travel between L.A. and Sacramento would be killer...
Old 06-13-08, 11:12 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

we have a fit. its a fun little car, but on the highway its a dead duck. we often go out to fontana to visit my GFs fam and we take the 241 toll road (cuts through the mountains) and the fit, the torque-less wonder sucks ***** climbing hills. to get it to go up hills you got to wind that motor/ hit vtec thus getting crappy mpg. its a great commuter tho, like to/fro work, on flat surfaces. :lol: reliability is a go tho. no problems there.
Old 06-13-08, 01:46 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

thanks guys, yea i would get an is300 lol but its stilla used car and my parents are done with me getting used cars but i have been looking at the new matrix it looks ok but i like the older styling more. The mini cooper is a bit out of my price range considering the only mini cooper i would get is an S ( its the sporty side of me lol) but i have been really looking at the mazda 3, what do you guys think of the hatchback? im at the lexus dealership right now while my brothers is is being serviced but omg theres 2 is-f the pictures dont do justice!.. but anyways im gonna test drive the honda fit later that 109 hp is worse than my old ae86 but well see! im guessing itll suck once i get to the grapevine
Old 06-13-08, 01:47 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

oh and on my sc i averaged about 17miles per gallon on the highway talk about killer
Old 06-13-08, 03:40 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

If you get the Fit just make sure to stay in the slow lane
Old 06-13-08, 06:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by balutsc300
... but its stilla used car and my parents are done with me getting used cars
How about getting Certified Pre-Owned?

The warranty on some CPO is better than new vehicles.

And if you're thinking of a new Matrix, you might as well get the new xB, which at the same price, is more powerful and roomy.
Old 06-13-08, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlewbell
I don't really know much about the Fit or Yaris, but we were shopping for cars recently, & we test drove the base models of the new Corolla, Civic, & Mazda 3. I would recommend the Civic or Mazda 3. The ride quality of the Civic was the best. The Mazda 3 was a close second, & the Corolla rode worse than even my Trans Am. For power, the 3 was best, followed by the Corolla & then the Civic. The Mazda was the most fun to drive by far, and has more features that I care about for the same trim levels. It was also roomier & more enjoyable to drive than the other two, with the Civic in second.

In short, if you're looking at that level, I'd suggest the Mazda 3 or the Civic. We never tried the American models, but they could be worth a look. I would not get the Corolla, though if you were considering one before I'd still say test one for yourself. This has just been my recent experience. Yours may be different.
I disagree that the Corolla has a poor ride. It, and the Hyundai Elantra, are known for having the smoothest rides among small cars, though not necessarily the best handling. I do agree that the Mazda3 has a sportier chassis and handling than either the Civic, Corolla, or Elantra.

If low price is paramount, you can even look at a Hyundai Accent. I think you will like it beter than a Kia Rio, and it is a somewhat nicer car inside and out.

The Fit and Yaris, as you note, are also worth looking at.....but beware of dealer price gouging on the Fit.

Quick Reply: thinking of getting a new car