Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interior Quality: Problems and Improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 03:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
^^ It's called "puckering". I love the look, myself. Looks very ....posh.
Yup. I love that look on a luxury car. It gives the interior a much more plushy look to it.
Old 06-14-08, 04:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The previous gen LS sedans had "pleated" leather, it's more traditional looking but very nice. I like the way the doors on the new LS have a more dynamic character though.

Great posts above, very interesting thoughts. Just to add, Toyota has mentioned that a cost-cutting move was the use of computer modeling instead of more rigorous testing in recent gen models, that is supposedly being dropped but it had effects on the fit and finish of certain models. The GS was the first in the latest line of Lexus models and seems to have suffered the most as far as quality issues.
Old 06-14-08, 04:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
The previous gen LS sedans had "pleated" leather, it's more traditional looking but very nice. I like the way the doors on the new LS have a more dynamic character though.

Great posts above, very interesting thoughts. Just to add, Toyota has mentioned that a cost-cutting move was the use of computer modeling instead of more rigorous testing in recent gen models, that is supposedly being dropped but it had effects on the fit and finish of certain models. The GS was the first in the latest line of Lexus models and seems to have suffered the most as far as quality issues.
well said, and coming from both generations GS owner, while the new one has a lot of plus on it, on the quality, it's a minus from the prev gen
Old 06-15-08, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
seems like i am at the mood of posting today. i'd put in my 2 cents. for the record, i own/owned 1998 gs400, 2003 is300, 2005 sc430, 2007 ls460l, 2008 gs350. i also owned acura before and have my share of exposure on mb and bmw

1) short answer is yes, imho older lexus has better interior, and in some cases, much better interior. to me, the best era has been between the 01-06 time frame. namely the gs300/430, the ls430, and sc430. you can almost say the interior of those cars are bullet proof.

it's from the feel, to the material used, to the fit and finish and quality control. you can say i almost couldn't believe how solid they were. dead quiet inside, no rattles or squeak (unless you start modifying your car), all the touches are solid and firm.

since 06, all the new lexus models come out (in a rush, may i add), and that's where the slump started, not just interior but also exterior.

when you look at interior quality, initial quality is one thing but longer term results say in 6 months or 12 months, that's more crucial. it's less likely that your dash will start rattling 2 weeks after you get the car, but comes 6 months where you experience different weather and driving conditions? you still see it

also, fit and finish is something you have to look very detail and carefully. how are the gaps done? how are the connections done? how are the clips? how are the transitions between panels? i am a guy who takes apart the car sometimes, so i can see more than some people

so overall, yes, i think lexus interior quality has dropped noticeably. the new interior might look much cooler than the old ones, but i see more parts, more places for problems, and i do see more problems

2) i would compare apple to apple, meaning the IS to 3 and C, and GS to 5 and E. i would say lexus still has the best interior among the 3 (overall, including quality, comfort, quietness)

bmw is always on the harsh side, especially the seats. the dash and panel materials are also rougher and not as refined. when detailing my friend's car i did notice locations where the edges are not as clean

mb comes very close with lexus imho, but the leather on mb is not as good as lexus. the gadgets part of mb is great, except the trillion buttons

3) i don't have 350k for a car, but my ls460l was 85k. it has the best interior of all the lexus i think (and better be), and i have also been in the 600hl which is over 100k. comparing to the s class, i think they are very close with each other, with my preference on the lexus. but i am not down playing the s class interior, it's also very nice

and that's base on the fact that i do think the interior of ls460 is not as solid as the ls430. it looks a lot cooler (ls430 interior was boring to me), but ls430 was more solid

4) with your criteria, imho lexus is still the best. euro cars tend to be noisier and have more road feel, stiffer ride and harsher seats. i take it and pros vs cons

5) the ES and LS are night and day difference. i have my share of the ES loaners. the ls430 interior are much quieter, the leather quality are better and seats are far more comfortable. dash and panel materials are of much higher grade. fit and finish is also much better (better than the gs as well) although like i said not as good as ls430.

hope this helps. again when i talk about interior here, i am more towards the quality, rather than the other aspects, as that seems to be your main concern
Henry, I'll agree with the others that this was a good post...and I also agree with your opinion of BMW and M-B interiors.

Among Lexus interiors, while the new IS250/350 interior may LOOK more plush on the surface than the older IS300, it actually uses less-durable, more plasticky materials. Gone, for example, is the jewel-like polished, metal chrome-ball shifter and metallic Swiss-watch-style instrument cluster.

The new ES350 interior is an even bigger disappointment over the older ES330. I have written and posted much on this subject. The new interior has dash creaks and rattles, the gorgeous-quality wood trim of the old 330's interior all across the doors, console, and door panels is replaced by a much smaller, less-attractive wood on the console, other materials are plainer-looking and more plasticky, and the former ES300's smooth ride has been stiffened up by the new tires and suspension.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-15-08, 09:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally think that LS430 and SC430 are the best Lexus interiors ever. I'm still undecided which one of these cars I'm going to purchase in the future, lol.
Old 06-16-08, 07:41 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think that LS430 and SC430 are the best Lexus interiors ever
I would like to add the 03-07 LX as well.
Old 07-15-08, 01:47 PM
crich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrinkle in door panel Lexus RS help

We have a 2007 Lexus RS that I love, its a great car.

I just got a call from our local Lexus dealership and they have agreed to replace our driver door panel for the second time. (and they are not happy about it)
It seems wrinkles on the panel appear about every 10 months. This is the second time this has happened. We have had the car almost 2 years.
The dealership says lotion, or oil from the owner.
I say, bad design. Its in a place we don't even touch because it is so far
back on the door panel...and high up.

anyone else have this happen?

Last edited by crich; 07-15-08 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling