Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: 2008 Acura TL "Great at being Good"

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 04:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, SICK. Nice job.

The TL transmission issues you mentioned generally went out after 2003, and most Acura automatics today shift smoothly, unlike Honda-Acura transmissions of years past, at least when brand-new......that's why I'm a little surprised to hear you got a thumper. Maybe, as you say.....accumulated mileage on a hard-driven car.

Still, overall, the TL has never been one of my favorite cars. I've always prefered the RL and the last-generation TSX.....the new 2009 TSX is more cheaply done.

I would agree with your assessment that the TL is a somewhat sportier version of the Lexus ES, but not directly.....the TL's FWD set-up, as you note, adds understeer and works against sharp cornering. Much of what you blame in the tires for the so-so handling probably comes from its nose-heaviness more than the tires themselves. And though both the ES and TL are FWD, the new ES350 is firmer-riding (and with a cheaper interior) than the ES330, so its handling is slightly closer to the TL's.

I plan to do a new TL-S soon..........I have a request for one.

Again, thanks for the write-up.
No problem, can't wait to hear your review of the TL-S.

Old 06-17-08, 05:37 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Performance
This was a bigger disappointment to me as from reading about it and listening to people
I think there's pretty much one person in particular on this board that spent so much time in so many threads trying to convince everyone that the TL is the fastest road racing car in its class... I think it was even stated the TL-S was as fast or faster than the 335i around the track. lol
I'll warn you though... if you get your hands on the TL-S... I could barely tell an improvement in handling at all.

The TL was designed by Americans in California and was built for the American market and is built in Ohio by Americans. I find it to be one of the best American made cars ever built, period. It is clear why this car is such a hit here, it does everything good/well and nothing poorly, with a good size and a good price.
Well... you have to consider what this car was when it came out. Put yourself in a time warp back 5 years ago... 2003 with some 2004 model year cars coming out and some still yet to come out. This car was class-leading in many ways when it first came out back then, IMO.

BTW did you not try out the stereo at all? I think you would have been pretty impressed with a DVD-Audio disc and the ELS Panasonic system in that TL.
Old 06-17-08, 07:19 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I I think it was even stated the TL-S was as fast or faster than the 335i around the track. lol
Isn't it? I wouldn't expect a TL-S to rout an M3, but I certainly expect it to outperform a 335i.
Old 06-17-08, 08:07 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Iceman
Isn't it? I wouldn't expect a TL-S to rout an M3, but I certainly expect it to outperform a 335i.
Problem is I haven't seen any track times from a solid source on the TL-S. Have you? Have you driven both? I haven't met a single person who has driven both cars hard that has thought the TL-S was even in the same league, unless they were, themselves, a TL owner (likely biased).

You can call me biased if you want but I think it has been well established on this board that I am just as quick to be critical of the flaws of this car and any other car I owned or have owned as I am to praise the areas it excels in.
Old 06-17-08, 03:21 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
I completely agree. The 335i doesn't have that good of handling. It's nothing like an M3. The lateral G at 300ft skidpad is at what... .87g? LOL.. This guy thinks his 335i is the same as a M3. Crazy...
Extra points to you for mag racing, again, and having absolutely no understanding of the fact that lateral Gs are only a very small part of the entire handling formula... not to mention I already proved to you in a previous thread that lateral G 'stats' in magazines are wildly inconsistent and will show dramatically different numbers for the same car from one mag to the next.

More points to you for pulling things out of thin air... I never once said or insinuated anything about an M3 in this thread.

Lame post.

I never liked your posts. All of them were so negative and argumentative... argumentative with any people in this forum. I don't need an advice but if I ever do need advice I would ask everyone, except you.
You never liked my posts because I saw you for what you were... somebody stuck on the infallibility of the Acura TL/-S 6MT and who would pull out magazine article specs to prove to everyone why the TL-S was the fastest car on the road course ever.

The TL is quick on a track for a FWD car but it is NOT an impressive car at the track. While you mag race I actually go to SCCA track days and run the courses and run at the 1/4-mile strip. You talk, I do. You see the TL in some grand light, I see it for what it is (as well as I see my own cars for what they are).

1Sick has seen the TL for what it is... a mediocre handling and accelerating car. I'd love for him to test the TL-S 6MT side by side with a 335i 6MT and see which he'd suspect to be the stronger performer at the road course. Again, of all the people that I have come across that have driven both cars but don't own either... none of them are impressed with the TL-S in terms of performance. In terms of interior, comfort, value, and more... TL-S blows the 335i away IMO... but not performance.

Have you actually driven the 335i or raced on a road course? Answer honestly. If no then what are you even doing talking about it just because you read some skid pad numbers in a magazine?
Old 06-17-08, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I am pretty damn sure the Type-S 6MT will have the edge in the road course tracks than the 335i.
Does the Type S offer a 6MT? If so, I wasn't aware of that....thanks.
I have a review request for a Type S, and will take that into consideration.
Surprising, because few Japanese-designed cars in this class still offer one.
Old 06-17-08, 04:24 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought all TL-S comes in 6MT? haha
Old 06-17-08, 04:29 PM
LexFather

Threxx, Meowcat, please take it to PM or just ignore one another's posts, thanks.

Old 06-17-08, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yea the Type-S trim comes available in 6MT as well. If you would try out the 6MT version of the Type-S I would love that.

You got it. I'll do a 6MT if I can get one.....otherwise an auto. Probably a good idea, since SICK, above, has already done the automatic on the regular TL.
Old 06-17-08, 09:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice review Mike. Agree that there really isnt anything that is mind blowing about the car any longer. I do remember when it first came out and I drove it and thought it was easily one of the best in class. Value, performance, its all there for what it was.

As far as the handling, I read somewhere awhile back that for 07, the base TL was actually made to ride more luxurious than the 04-06 models. Reason being because they wanted a bigger differential between that and the TL-S which may be the main reason as to why you think the difference between a TL and ES350 is small. Plus because of complaints from owners of the to stiff ride. Remember how smooth and different the previous generation base TL rode? That was silky smooth.

In my findings, the auto zaps power from this car. Much different from the manual cars, but as you stated still no faster than the competition.

I still do like the interior layout a lot and IMO is still very competitive and modern. Looks and feels of high quality, nice huge Navi screen. Its a shame because I know the next gen interior will take a step back (Look at the MDX, new TSX, RDX interiors and compare it to the TL. Big difference there.)

By the way, the TL-S 6-speed I drove 2 weeks ago was your favorite color combo. White on black (2 toned interior). Looked freakin sweet!!

When I left my test drive, I kept asking myself "why does this car cost $39 grand??" I know you didnt test drive the TL-S, but with so many other choices, do you think the TL is still an outstanding buy these days?

Last edited by GFerg; 06-17-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 09:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
Couple things going on. Probably want to try turning VSA off if accelerating in a straight line. I know it kicks in slowing acc. Not sure if that, or something else, might also be kicking in on high acceleration to limit torque steer as well.
Did that. Shifting into second you finally feel all 280+ horsepower it makes.

There is some active noise cancellation technology in the TLs which mutes external noises. I believe some people have disabled that as well.
Originally Posted by Threxx

I can't remember if it was the 06 or 07 model year but they integrated the active noise cancellation technology from the RL/Accord hybrid/etc. They may have also modified the exhaust note.

Ahhh, well that makes sense. It boggled my mind as to why the old TL's exhaust note resonated throughout the cabin, while the TL-S, the factory performance version was so quiet in comparison. Well at least I know the active noise cancellation feature works!!
Old 06-18-08, 06:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great review SIck.... Soon enough the 2009 TL will be out and than a review can be made between the 08 and 09 models..
Old 06-18-08, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Great review SIck.... Soon enough the 2009 TL will be out and than a review can be made between the 08 and 09 models..
Yes. I hope Acura doesn't cheapen the new TL's interior like it did the new TSX.