Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: 2008 Acura TL "Great at being Good"

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-08, 04:13 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb 1SICKREVIEW: 2008 Acura TL "Great at being Good"

A preview of the write-up I'll have hopefully tonight. First impressions are a sportier version of an ES 350 and so far so good.

More to come later....

Old 06-15-08, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Go to it, SICK. I have a review request for a new TL-S coming up, but haven't been able to do reviews for the last couple of weeks. I'll get back to them probably late next week.
Old 06-15-08, 08:49 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I test drove a TL-S 6-speed manual 2 weeks ago. Posted a quick blurb in the TLN thread awhile back. Overall, wasnt impressed and couldnt find a single advantage over the regular TL 6-speed. Wondering where the extra 7-10K in mark up comes from.
Old 06-15-08, 09:26 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

The TL-S is priced @ 38k, but you can easily get it for 35 OTD. I liked it better than the standard TL because of the cosmetic changes and the exhaust note Of course I liked the IS better
Old 06-15-08, 09:57 PM
dr Lu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont forget the navi is standard on a type S...so its pretty much more hp, better exhaust, rims, navi
Old 06-15-08, 11:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Type S model with 6spd manual also give you LSD. You probably wont notice it too much during normal driving but driving it harder, you'll appreciate LSD more especially on a nose heavy fwd vehicle.
Old 06-16-08, 04:35 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFerg
couldnt find a single advantage over the regular TL 6-speed.
Not one? It wasn't any faster? it didn't handle better? It didn't have more standard features? Better wheel and tire package? It's surprising because the TL-S is supposed to be one of the best handling FWD chassis in the world, far superior to the standard TL. But, then again, I've never driven one so what do I know.
Old 06-16-08, 06:48 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Not one? It wasn't any faster? it didn't handle better? It didn't have more standard features? Better wheel and tire package? It's surprising because the TL-S is supposed to be one of the best handling FWD chassis in the world, far superior to the standard TL. But, then again, I've never driven one so what do I know.
It does handle a little bit better, but its not a huge performance difference over a 04-06 TL 6-speed IMO. The TL always handled great but the small improvements didn't justify the increase in price. Theres really not much difference in features. Standard navi being the biggest difference.

I still like the car A LOT, but IMO getting the A-spec package on a 04-06 TL 6-speed is damn near the equivalent to a TLS.
Old 06-16-08, 07:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by meowCat

I wonder if the car you test drove had 28 psi on tires. The tire pressures are extremely important!!! 38~ 40 psi my man.

Yea, the regular TL 6MT is a no slouch. If you give it enough rev before launching that thing will take off like a rocket. It's difficult though not to spin the wheels due to FWD. One time it took off so fast it felt like sub 14 sec car.

Like the others have said the Type-S does have stiffer/tighter and more responsive suspension and springs. The anti-roll bars are solid! and it's a lilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly bit quicker especially at triple digit speeds.

LOL
I can't say what the tire pressure was. I didn't check it.

And that's anoher thing too. In order to keep the torque steer to a minimum, power was reduced in 1st gear. The power decrease is so blatant once you notice how hard it pulls in 2nd. I thought it might have been the traction control but didn't see any lights flashing. Tried turning it off and its harder to get the power to the ground obviously. Came to the conclusion as to why 0-60 mph times or 1/4 miles times shows a minimal improvement if one at all (I personally haven't seen faster tls times, but there may be some out there) .

And its a lot quieter inside. That awesome exhaust note the 04-06 models had is muffled.

But, with respect to Mikes thread, I want to hear what he thinks.
Old 06-16-08, 08:35 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I can't say what the tire pressure was. I didn't check it.

And that's anoher thing too. In order to keep the torque steer to a minimum, power was reduced in 1st gear. The power decrease is so blatant once you notice how hard it pulls in 2nd. I thought it might have been the traction control but didn't see any lights flashing. Tried turning it off and its harder to get the power to the ground obviously. Came to the conclusion as to why 0-60 mph times or 1/4 miles times shows a minimal improvement if one at all (I personally haven't seen faster tls times, but there may be some out there) .

And its a lot quieter inside. That awesome exhaust note the 04-06 models had is muffled.

But, with respect to Mikes thread, I want to hear what he thinks.
Couple things going on. Probably want to try turning VSA off if accelerating in a straight line. I know it kicks in slowing acc. Not sure if that, or something else, might also be kicking in on high acceleration to limit torque steer as well.

There is some active noise cancellation technology in the TLs which mutes external noises. I believe some people have disabled that as well.
Old 06-16-08, 09:52 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a TL-S for a day could barely tell a difference in the way it handled compared to the non-S model. Neither one had handling that impressed me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't impressive either.

I'm not sure how over inflating your tires would help either... you actually decrease your total contact patch that way as the middle of the tire bulges outward and especially on turns the inside tires will lift up and lose part of their contact with the ground, decreasing traction.

Keep them around factory recommended levels.. unless 38-40 psi is factory recommended or the factory recommended levels are somehow wrong.

I can't remember if it was the 06 or 07 model year but they integrated the active noise cancellation technology from the RL/Accord hybrid/etc. They may have also modified the exhaust note.

Last edited by Threxx; 06-16-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-16-08, 05:11 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

2008 Acura TL sedan base model.

The reason I got a chance to drive it extensively is for all the wrong reasons. By bud who WAS a loyal Acura fan (2.5 TL, now CL-S) has been complaining the past few months his gas mileage in his CL-S has been awful, 16 MPG or so, 250 miles a tank. He tried a few things to fix and couldn't figure it out.
So finally he took it to the dealer and they told him FOR THE FOURTH TIME "Sir we have to replace your transmission"

They don't have any in stock and they only either re-build or use a refurnished one and told them it might take about a week. He is pretty pissed b/c well his poor gas mileage is due to an Acura defect. The good news was they gave him a new 08 TL as a loaner, silver/black leather.

I had small bar-b-que yesterday and he stopped by and it was time for me to check it out.

From the outside, I still find the looks crisp and it has aged well. IMO, with the Acura Legend, the best looking cars (sans NSX) they have built. I don't like the new split spoke wheels, its just adding unnecessary business. Acura really should LET THIS TEAM DESIGN ALL THEIR VEHICLES. This is still one very sharp looking car. The paint was very good and the silver was done very well. Fit and Finish was superb on the exterior(why can't all American made cars be built like this)??????

Luxury
It seems very well put together. Everything fit pretty well, the only thing that bugged me was the silver trim around the dash and doors didn't align as well as I would have liked it. The gauges are clearly Lexus derived as the center stack. I've always liked this interior on the eyes, though without the NAV, the center stack looks odd. This car had some fake aluminum trim with a fake dark african/ebony wood trim that was very convincing, it didn't bug me at all. The seats are firm but a little to tight for me. It had bolstering but the pad in the back just jutted out. I think this is the only luxury car I've driven in years that still has the door locks on top the door, the lil circle ones. Very retro.

The plastics and leathers used were good and I have no complaints at all. They felt solid and of quality especially when compared to the last TL which if you have sat in one with say 100k miles or so feels pretty crappy. I was thinking after 100k, this car would still be solid.

Saturday I did have a chance to ride in the passenger seat and backseat on the way to Bahama Breeze. The backseat had more than enough room for me and the 2 girls, I was impressed. The front passenger seat had a very very ghey 4 passenger power seat that my 1992 ES 300 has. No excuse for that crap. The stock sound sytem is mud as well. Very cool though, it has XM radio The TL has a very good sized trunk

Overall, I really liked it, made me feel comfy and it felt "luxurious".

Acceleration

This was a disappointment to me as I had high expectations for this car. . Acceleration out the gate was sluggish and felt sluggish but it was more than adequate. My bud felt his CL-S was faster. I don't remember the tires it used but they were horrible. They drove/felt EXACTLY like Lexus ES 350 tires. They squeal, squeal, squeal when pushed. Yuck. What I did like was torque steer was minimal for the most part, you did feel more of it on new tarmac but it was less than an ES 350. I have to say just driving around, it really hid the fact it was FWD pretty well. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a slug at all but the G35/IS 350 and 330 (let alone 335) are faster.

Performance
This was a bigger disappointment to me as from reading about it and listening to people, you would think it was a Ferrari. Well its not and IMO handles slightly better than an ES 350 but not that much sportier. I really was surprised. Again, the tires are horrid, you enter a corner and they SQUEAL and are overpowered by the engine. So that is one huge negative.
Then the car has a lot of bodyroll, more than I expected. I have to say I got nervous in a couple corners b/c I felt the car was leaning way to hard. This is going maybe 50+ in a 35 zone. Not very tight feeling, drove bigger than it is.

Steering was pretty good, I hate 4 spoke wheels to look at but it had a nice feel to it and I felt the steering was very accurate but the rest of the car didn't match the great steering.

Tranny

From my understanding the new TL has no more tranny issues but it shifted HARD. I will let some of that slide b/c its a loaner and a lot of people squat on loaners. It was not smooth, even under normal driving. The TL does have manumatic with the numbers on the dash to let you know what gear its in. I felt it held the gears until I changed them and it did make the drive more fun for me. The car has a 5 speed auto which is easy to drive with a manu-matic but paddle shifters would be great.
-Exhaust/Engine sound-
Under normal driving with the windows up and the radio on, you cannot hear the engine, it is very quiet, thus good job Acura. With the windows down and the music off, well turn the music on b/c it doesn't sound very good. IMO that is fine b/c this is not a performance car but a nice blend.
Brakes

IMO the brakes were fine under normal driving and when pushed. I didn't push the car long/hard enough to experience fade. Another good job here.

Gas Mileage

Looking at EPA ratings its comparable in class for a big V-6.

The Acura TL is a popular car and one of the most popular models in the 30-40k range. The image of the car is pretty good IMO, I've had people ask about it and talk about it. My bud said he would consider getting back into a TL. What is disturbing is this is ARGUABLY Acura's best car as many people scoff at the RL and its price. Imagine people feeling the ES 350 was Lexus best vehicle

Review/Conclusion
I liked the TL before this extensive drive and I still do like it. I've been an avid supporter of this generation. It has aged very well inside and out and for all intents and purposes is enough car for most people. My bud though, who lent me the car said it best when I asked him what his thoughts were

"I cannot say anything bad about it, but I am not blown away by anything".

I could not have said it better myself. It looks good but not a clear best looking car. It has a fine interior but not the best in class. It has a great engine but not best in class. It has okay ride/handling but not best in class. Gas mileage is not best in class. As I go down the line I cannot think of one item this car really did so well I was wowed.

The TL was the "Value/logic" decision. With the new G35 around and after driving it, I have to say I would prefer to OWN the G35 for the same price. It was easy to say "get a TL over the ES 330" but with the NEW ES 350, I cannot make that same argument. I find the ES and TL to be equals pretty much. As for the 335/IS/A4/C the TL is much larger and seems more like its own class with the TL/ES/G35/CTS, which are priced like those smaller Euros/IS.

The TL was designed by Americans in California and was built for the American market and is built in Ohio by Americans. I find it to be one of the best American made cars ever built, period. It is clear why this car is such a hit here, it does everything good/well and nothing poorly, with a good size and a good price.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-16-08 at 05:21 PM.

Old 06-16-08, 10:25 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, almost 100%
The design is great, but one thing Acura seems to do is cut corners on quality. The rear seat headrests, outer seat top, and middle seat is vinyl (i checked) Theres the fake wood trim, which looks great...but still, its fake
The side rear view mirror corners aren't attached and stick out as well as many other plastic trim pieces. Theres more, but i forgot...
Old 06-16-08, 10:45 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks 1SickGoat for the in depth review! I drove an 04 TL when they first came out, and almost bought one. It wasn't that much better than what I was driving at the time, so I passed on it. Glad I did wait, and got my IS350 instead
Old 06-17-08, 12:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, SICK. Nice job.

The TL transmission issues you mentioned generally went out after 2003, and most Acura automatics today shift smoothly, unlike Honda-Acura transmissions of years past, at least when brand-new......that's why I'm a little surprised to hear you got a thumper. Maybe, as you say.....accumulated mileage on a hard-driven car.

Still, overall, the TL has never been one of my favorite cars. I've always prefered the RL and the last-generation TSX.....the new 2009 TSX is more cheaply done.

I would agree with your assessment that the TL is a somewhat sportier version of the Lexus ES, but not directly.....the TL's FWD set-up, as you note, adds understeer and works against sharp cornering. Much of what you blame in the tires for the so-so handling probably comes from its nose-heaviness more than the tires themselves. And though both the ES and TL are FWD, the new ES350 is firmer-riding (and with a cheaper interior) than the ES330, so its handling is slightly closer to the TL's.

I plan to do a new TL-S soon..........I have a request for one.

Again, thanks for the write-up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-08 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: 2008 Acura TL "Great at being Good"