Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1992 4-cylinder sporty car comparo

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 09:25 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Well I think they were taking what they could for the price range. The Celica All-trac would've probably priced it out of the competitors.
thats what i figured, but it just doesnt seem like a fair comparo. like apples and oranges.
Old 06-17-08, 09:30 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexdymndz
thats what i figured, but it just doesnt seem like a fair comparo. like apples and oranges.
What about an MR2? Base MSRP was under 18k for the NA 2.2

Last edited by PhantomZX; 06-17-08 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-17-08, 04:57 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well, it looks from the review like the Talon TSI was the absolute winner... Except that it was the most unreliable POS ever know to men.
+1 lmao My Dad's friend has one with some light mods(Exhaust, etc.) and that thing runs like 2 months out of the year. Everytime its fixed something esle goes wrong. I like the celica's looks the most out of this group and my dad has a 1990 GTS now, but it is underpowered.
Old 06-17-08, 05:01 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Maybe they shoulda included a GTS corolla instead of the celica, I know wasnt as fast as the Talon, Prelude or Integra, but I think it is more fun to drive then the Celica, the 4age is a much better performer then the camry engine in the celica.
Old 06-17-08, 05:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I loved the Prelude back then. The gauge cluster was unique compared to other Hondas of the time. The dashboard would light up like a christmas tree... an electroluminescent effect imo. That 4 banger would idle like a 6 as well unlike the Accord 4 banger of the time. Amazing machine!
I wanted that Prelude badly

Amazing how much more car you get today for the money, but we don't have 1/2 as many coupes

Old 06-17-08, 05:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I wanted that Prelude badly

Amazing how much more car you get today for the money, but we don't have 1/2 as many coupes
Literally... much more car. As far as weight goes.

Other than that... I don't know if I'm impressed with many of todays cars. Sure, they have more bells and whistles, but somehow theres nothing as hardcore as CRX or ITR to name a few. Except perhaps for cars like S2K and Elise, but these are a completely different price bracket.
Old 06-17-08, 10:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 06-18-08, 04:33 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B Dot
Maybe they shoulda included a GTS corolla instead of the celica, I know wasnt as fast as the Talon, Prelude or Integra, but I think it is more fun to drive then the Celica, the 4age is a much better performer then the camry engine in the celica.
In 1992 the Corolla coupe was not on the market anymore. Are you talking about the FWD GTS or the RWD AE86 GTS?
Old 06-18-08, 10:09 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
What about an MR2? Base MSRP was under 18k for the NA 2.2
i think it said battle of the 2+2 where as the mr2 is just 2.
Old 06-18-08, 11:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My first car was a maroon 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS that was very similar to the Eagle Talon pictured except my 5 star rims where straight spoked instead of curved and the spoiler was not integrated into the body but mounted on the rear. It was a really nice looking car and I got compliments on it all the time, I never saw another one that had my same color, rim, spoiler combination. The interior was actually very well put together and used pretty high quality plastics and materials and had a very nice look to it, the front seats were extremely comfortable and one of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in although they were kind of low. The car rode well although it was a little rough over bumps and it handled very well. The engine was pretty weak although it did have a sweet spot when putting it in power mode and flooring it from 5 mph. I did not exactly baby this car and had a heavy foot. Reliability at first was very good and it never had any problems but after a few years the transmission went. Then a few years later after a few smaller issues the engine went and after that it was not reliable at all but I attribute that to the utter morons at T and R Automotive in Delaware who put the replacement engine in and worked on it as they had no clue what they were doing and kept screwing it up more just to keep charging me more. It had an overheating issue that could never be diagnosed, erratic idle, valve tap, and the second transmission was going so I got rid of it. Overall I would say I really enjoyed the car until the last few years in which it become a money pit but I do attribute some of that to being driven hard, not being vigilant in maintenance, and horrible mechanics working on the car.

It was nice reading an old article about the car but I should have got a Prelude as it would have been much more reliable when I was younger.
Old 06-18-08, 12:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Still think the Prelude and Integra look good (former 91 Integra owner here).
Old 06-18-08, 05:06 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Koma
In 1992 the Corolla coupe was not on the market anymore. Are you talking about the FWD GTS or the RWD AE86 GTS?
Im talking about the FWD GTS Corolla. They were made from 88-92 but I think the 92's are really hard to find.
Old 06-18-08, 08:58 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Love the Talon!!!!.... Big Mitsubishi fan here
Old 06-18-08, 11:13 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I used to have an Eagle Talon back in the day. HKS FTW.

Back when I had it, I was at a comedy club in Hermosa Beach, a place that Leno would go every week to try out new material. He was doing some bit about cars, and he asked me (in the audience) what car I was driving. I said, "Eagle Talon." He gave me this look and said, "What the hell is that? Some sort of econobox POS (or something to that effect)?" I just smiled and shrugged, but I wanted to tell him, "I'll smoke whatever you drove here in, buddy."

Psssh. Whatcha know about cars, Leno?

Last edited by pvmike1; 06-18-08 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-18-08, 11:27 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i dont know whats worse the fact that i remember all of these cars or that it was almost 17 years ago when that article was written! anyways those LS integras were nice........

Quick Reply: 1992 4-cylinder sporty car comparo