Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

another 335i blows its turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 03:30 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I dunno if I really see this as BMW's fault as some of you are so quick to point fingers. BMW seems to have tuned the engine beautifully from the factory. It appears that everything under the hood is in a fragile balance until you start messing with something here or there.
+1 This isn't a JZ engine with an iron block. It's meant to stay at around the stock power. Now imagine if BMW made a JZ-like engine and still tried to market the M3. Who the hell would buy an M3 than?
Old 06-18-08, 03:36 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Ok, lets take a look at BMWs high output models.

1) Past gen M3 - perhaps the most unreliable BMW, ever. Engines were literally "blowing up", and BMW was forced to extend warranty to 100K... Only they would not honor the warranty if they found out you "raced the car". Yeah, like people buy these to take kids to the soccer practice. Not to mention that these engine consume oil, and require the owner to check the level and add oil on regular basis. And it requires synthetic.

2) Past gen M5 - notorious for engine carbon built up, which occurs as early as 20K, and spreads through the entire engine - combustion chambers, head, ports, and chokes the engine down. In fact, if it wasn't for these issues, and if it came with an automatic tranny, I would probably be driving one.

3) Current M5 - not much information about that, but people have been reporting engine compression loss.

4) The current 335 - this thing is a joke. It overheated in pretty much every magazine review. The one that I was test driving on at a BMW event (kind of like taste of Lexus) last year overheated. I know BMW made a half assed attempt to resolve this issue by adding some additional cooler to some of the sport trim models, but most of them still overheat. I wonder if BMW even tested that POS at all before bringing it to the market.

So yeah, I know BMW diehearts are going to attack me, trying to make excuses for BMW, but these problems are facts, and very well documented ones. And a fact is the most stubborn thing in the world. It is my believe that with most of BMW's high power engines, they are not designed as such, but rather they are overclocked, overrevved, overcompressioned versions of regular engines, which weren't designed as such, and thus reliability problem. And before someone says that high performance engines cannot be made reliable, look at NSX and S2K, they have been stellar.

How many people would have the ***** to buy a past gen M3 without extended warranty? Or 335 once its out of warranty?
ok, the statement on the e46 m3 is a bit unfair as the rod bearing issue on the S54 engines produced from October 2001 - February 2002 are the only affected ones.

This engine won engine of the year in 2001 and it's the second highest hp/L ratio on a a production vehicle @ 104hp/L behind Honda S2000 and ahead of Ferrari F360 at the time.

it's an amazing engine, this goes for all BMW except overboosted Turbos

Last edited by whlkev; 06-18-08 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-18-08, 03:43 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
How many people would have the ***** to buy a past gen M3 without extended warranty? Or 335 once its out of warranty?
I would not buy a Bimmer if it was out of warranty, period. At least not unless I really wanted to get to know my local BMW dealer on a "weekly visit" basis, and have to pay the repair bills as well. No thanks.
Old 06-18-08, 04:17 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
For me, I would never buy an used M3. I would still not buy a brand new M3 or 335 or any BMW models.
You could still lease one though. . If an IS put a smile on your face, I guarratee you that an 335 or M3 will put a on your face.
Old 06-18-08, 04:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Och and Meowcat... not that I'm shocked, but you guys make it sound like 335is are overheating left and right. I've never heard of one overheat WITHOUT the secondary oil cooler unless it was being tracked hard for several laps, and I've never heard of one overheat WITH the secondary oil cooler at ALL in stock trim.

In fact I've ran my car at track days... 1.7 mile track, 10 laps... two sessions per day, in the middle of the Memphis summer with temps in the low to mid 90s and never got a hint of overheating. Granted I've got the secondary oil cooler.

I don't disagree with you that it's obviously a lacking design for them to have left out the second cooler... if the mag reviews are bringing that out then that's a flaw. But with the oil cooler the issue all but disappears as far as I've ever heard.

BTW it wasn't exactly unheard of for 2JZ-GTEs to give up when the stock turbos boost were cranked up and the cars were driven hard. Was in common? No. But so far it has not been common for 335is to give out either... we're talking about one case here and possibly a handful of others that are known of in total.
Old 06-18-08, 04:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Och and Meowcat... not that I'm shocked, but you guys make it sound like 335is are overheating left and right. I've never heard of one overheat WITHOUT the secondary oil cooler unless it was being tracked hard for several laps, and I've never heard of one overheat WITH the secondary oil cooler at ALL in stock trim.

In fact I've ran my car at track days... 1.7 mile track, 10 laps... two sessions per day, in the middle of the Memphis summer with temps in the low to mid 90s and never got a hint of overheating. Granted I've got the secondary oil cooler.

I don't disagree with you that it's obviously a lacking design for them to have left out the second cooler... if the mag reviews are bringing that out then that's a flaw. But with the oil cooler the issue all but disappears as far as I've ever heard.

BTW it wasn't exactly unheard of for 2JZ-GTEs to give up when the stock turbos boost were cranked up and the cars were driven hard. Was in common? No. But so far it has not been common for 335is to give out either... we're talking about one case here and possibly a handful of others that are known of in total.
Well, like I said, the 335 I test drove at BMW sponsored event overheated. It was fully stock, and the problem is huge. A car is just not supposed to overheat, no matter how hard you drive it, so its an obvious flaw with the design, and wait until these relatively new cars start to age, I'm sure we'll start hearing some horror stories with blown headgaskets and whatnot.

I personally think that 335 was a rushed out attempt to compete with IS350 and G35, and it wasn't well tested or engineered.
Old 06-18-08, 05:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
ok, the statement on the e46 m3 is a bit unfair as the rod bearing issue on the S54 engines produced from October 2001 - February 2002 are the only affected ones.

This engine won engine of the year in 2001 and it's the second highest hp/L ratio on a a production vehicle @ 104hp/L behind Honda S2000 and ahead of Ferrari F360 at the time.

it's an amazing engine, this goes for all BMW except overboosted Turbos
Well there's a lot of conflicting information regarding which year models were affected, according to many sources they are all affected. And they all consume oil. But either way, a major flaw like that just tells you that the engine was poorly engineered and didn't go through enough testing, so to call this engine amazing is silly at best. Wanna see an amazing engine, look at the nearly two decade old NSX, it's power output is nearly the same of M3, and its as reliable as the most reliable Lexus, not to mention its hassle free and easy to maintain. M3's engine is just an overclocked POS.

As far as the rest of BMW's engines being amazing, how so? Their general line up engines have always been lacking compared to the competition. Shall I remind you of the 325/525 with 180hp that we had until very recent? Or even the current 328/528 with less power than a Camry?
Old 06-18-08, 05:41 PM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

At least it sounds like his high pressure fuel pump seems to have held out.

There is no way I'd keep a BMW past its warranty period and I'm not impressed by the free maintenance program thus far.
Old 06-18-08, 05:54 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darkdream
The 335i can withstand heat... the ones that do not are not equipped with intercoolers... which are the non sport optioned ones
All 335's are intercooled. Or, did you mean "oil cooled"?
Old 06-18-08, 05:55 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
All 335's are intercooled. Or, did you mean "oil cooled"?
ya my bad ...I guess I wasn't thinking then haha
Old 06-18-08, 05:59 PM
LexFather

Guys lets not make blanket statements. All BMWs are not unreliable. This is a dolt who went overboard on a leased 335.

When you submit engines to a higher PSI, they are more susceptible to damage.

Old 06-18-08, 07:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Guys lets not make blanket statements. Not all BMWs are unreliable. This is a dolt who went overboard on a leased 335.

When you submit engines to a higher PSI, they are more susceptible to damage.
Fixed...
Old 06-18-08, 09:51 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whlkev
maybe you didn't hear about the massive recalls on the rod bearings on the e46 m3 engine

it blew up a lot of engines too
Massive? No. It was 2001 and some 2002 models. One supplier produced faulty rod bearings. BMW replaced all affected engines.

Toyota's not had any engine recalls recently have they? Oh.... wait....
Old 06-18-08, 10:03 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUJBP
Massive? No. It was 2001 and some 2002 models. One supplier produced faulty rod bearings. BMW replaced all affected engines.

Toyota's not had any engine recalls recently have they? Oh.... wait....
48000 m3 recall, i guess that's not bad considering the recent recall in the millions for GM
Old 06-18-08, 10:10 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och
Ok, lets take a look at BMWs high output models.

1) Past gen M3 - perhaps the most unreliable BMW, ever. Engines were literally "blowing up", and BMW was forced to extend warranty to 100K... Only they would not honor the warranty if they found out you "raced the car". Yeah, like people buy these to take kids to the soccer practice. Not to mention that these engine consume oil, and require the owner to check the level and add oil on regular basis. And it requires synthetic.
2001 and some 2002 models. It was due to a supplier that didn't provide rod bearings that were up to BMW's specifications. They recalled and replaced all affected engines AND gave the 100k warranty. The engines have been bulletproof since that recall. "Most unreliable BMW, ever...", you said. Please. You either don't know all the facts or don't care enough to find out and just wanted throw some bombs because you're a hater.

Originally Posted by Och
2) Past gen M5 - notorious for engine carbon built up, which occurs as early as 20K, and spreads through the entire engine - combustion chambers, head, ports, and chokes the engine down. In fact, if it wasn't for these issues, and if it came with an automatic tranny, I would probably be driving one.
Carbon buildup was in vehicles in which the cars weren't driven hard very often. The solution is to take the car to redline a few times. The carbon burns off. Geez, that sounds horrible! Driving a performance car hard to keep it running well!

Originally Posted by Och
3) Current M5 - not much information about that, but people have been reporting engine compression loss.
Links to forums? I haven't seen this and don't believe it until I see it.

Originally Posted by Och
4) The current 335 - this thing is a joke. It overheated in pretty much every magazine review. The one that I was test driving on at a BMW event (kind of like taste of Lexus) last year overheated. I know BMW made a half assed attempt to resolve this issue by adding some additional cooler to some of the sport trim models, but most of them still overheat. I wonder if BMW even tested that POS at all before bringing it to the market.
Let me get this straight. BMW debuts an FI engine having not produced one in many years. (I can't recall off hand when BMW last produced a turbocharged engine but I'm thinking it is close to 30 years). Some overheat when driven very hard on tracks. They solve it with an additional oil cooler. What's the problem again? You calling the car a "POS" is yet more evidence that you are a BMW hater.

Originally Posted by Och
So yeah, I know BMW diehearts are going to attack me, trying to make excuses for BMW, but these problems are facts,.....
What is a "dieheart"?

I guess BMW is the only manufacturer who EVER has issues with their cars. The ones you cite were either taken care of quickly by BMW and in the larger scheme of things seem insignificant or didn't exist in the first place.

The tone of your post tells me you are a BMW hater and that's fine. This is a manufacturer specific forum and there are bound to be ignorant people. You can argue all you want but no manufacturer is immune to unforeseen issues. Think about how many Tacomas, Toyota is buying back right now or how many engines Toyota has replaced in the last few years under warranty due to common issues. BMW drivetrains are very durable and I'd have no qualms about owning an E46 M3 after the warranty has expired.

Quick Reply: another 335i blows its turbos