Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

another 335i blows its turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 10:11 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
He admitted he raced the car. He modded it a lot and drove the snot out of it and it blew up. Big surprise.

But to do all this to a LEASED car is beyond stupid. Reading the thread it seems like he might have learned though from his $26K lesson, vowing not to mod the car again.
I don't get the whole "doing it on a lease was stupid" argument. Whether the car was leased, owned, borrowed, stolen... what ever it was, the results would have been the same: $26k down the drain.

It was "just" an ECU reflash on a leased car. So returning it back to stock would have been easy after the lease. Too late now though

Old 06-18-08, 10:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I am also one to support N/A.....not to mention over time, say with 100k or 150k on the odometer....
I'll gladly take the N/A from the IS 350 and be a tick slower BUT the 3 series steering is far superb.
Yeah, you're right. Only 144k on the odometer of my Supra (with the original turbos pushing 19psi) when we had a little fun on a deserted road coming back from the Dragon...imagine if they weren't so tired!
Old 06-18-08, 10:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
...BTW it wasn't exactly unheard of for 2JZ-GTEs to give up when the stock turbos boost were cranked up and the cars were driven hard. Was in common? No. But so far it has not been common for 335is to give out either... we're talking about one case here and possibly a handful of others that are known of in total.
It's impossible to blow the stock turbos on the 2JZ in a Supra if you leave the cats on and completely disable boost control. AMHIK. You won't make more than 19 psi though.

Even with a downpipe, it's really hard to kill the stock turbos unless you do something mean to them like spray nitrous.
Old 06-18-08, 10:20 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skater, As to the leasing issue:

First off, it is different because the new hardware/software BMW is running will know if you plug a piggyback on the ECU while leasing it. It was not a engine flash. This was a piggyback to the ECU. There is a difference. If they catch you doing that you are in conflict of your original lease agreement. They can force you to buy the car at that point or pay significant fees since it wasn't your car to mess with based on their paperwork. The lease agreements say the car is not to be altered at all like this. Case in point is how will they CPO a car that has been tracked the hell out of after 3 years with a ECU that is altered. If you don't know the difference than you don't read your lease agreements closely. BMW won't let you mess with the ECU at all anymore. They track fuel mapping, boost psi and air/fuel mixtures. Anything out of the ordinary and they can red flag your car. It has happened and it will happen. If you pay to play than you better be prepared to pay up.

As for the overheating. I have never had an issue with my car overheating when it was stock. Not a single issue and I drove it hard in Vegas Summer. The first year of any new car always has a few glitches. This is no different. This engine is outstanding though as a stock factory engine. If you have not driven a manual 335i than I suggest it. The hp and torque ratings may be close to a IS350 but driving it feels a lot different. You are comparing two different animals or apples and oranges. Lexus makes sporty luxury cars. BMW makes sports cars. They worry more about how it is to drive the car. Lexus worries more about what the inside looks like and how the navigation works. They both good cars. I have owned both so I know.

BTW, an NSX engine is a great engine but it costs a kidney or two to get the hp out of it. That car needed a bigger engine to start with in 2000.

Last edited by SilverBull; 06-18-08 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-18-08, 10:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUJBP
The tone of your post tells me you are a BMW hater and that's fine. This is a manufacturer specific forum and there are bound to be ignorant people. You can argue all you want but no manufacturer is immune to unforeseen issues. Think about how many Tacomas, Toyota is buying back right now or how many engines Toyota has replaced in the last few years under warranty due to common issues. BMW drivetrains are very durable and I'd have no qualms about owning an E46 M3 after the warranty has expired.
First of all, let me get something straight, I'm no Toyota (or any other brand) fan by any means, and I'll be the first one to criticize Toyota for any and all issues they have. As far as being a BMW hater, not really. I do like some of the past BMW models, including past gen M5 and 8 series to name a few, and I also think that past gen 7 and 5 series were beautifully designed vehicles. However the reliability of their high powered model was always terrible, at least initially. Maybe they fixed these issues in the following years, maybe they didn't,s its debatable, but the fact that they initially shipped with these problems tells you how poorly BMW engineers and tests these engines.
Old 06-18-08, 11:09 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och
... However the reliability of their high powered model was always terrible, at least initially. Maybe they fixed these issues in the following years, maybe they didn't,s its debatable, but the fact that they initially shipped with these problems tells you how poorly BMW engineers and tests these engines.

You can keep saying it, but that won't make it any more true. I've already been over each issue you cited and you failed to backup the statements about the current M5 V10 at all.

You're right though. BMW doesn't test their engines at all. BMW Motorsport isn't located at the Nurburgring and Sabine Schmidt doesn't drive M5s around the Nordschliefe 200 days a year.
Old 06-18-08, 11:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FSUJBP
You can keep saying it, but that won't make it any more true. I've already been over each issue you cited and you failed to backup the statements about the current M5 V10 at all.

You're right though. BMW doesn't test their engines at all. BMW Motorsport isn't located at the Nurburgring and Sabine Schmidt doesn't drive M5s around the Nordschliefe 200 days a year.
Yeah, you posted a poor excuse for each of the problem, and BMW's half assed attempt to resolve them.
Attached Thumbnails another 335i blows its turbos-carisscrewed.jpg  
Old 06-18-08, 11:17 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's impossible to blow the stock turbos on the 2JZ in a Supra if you leave the cats on and completely disable boost control. AMHIK. You won't make more than 19 psi though.

Even with a downpipe, it's really hard to kill the stock turbos unless you do something mean to them like spray nitrous.
supra 2jzgte engines were strong. ive seen some 2jzgtes running 2 full bars of boost around 28 psi or so on stock internals. I could be wrong but wasnt the supra block made of iron? i think that 335i was an anamoly or something else we dont know about happened.
Old 06-19-08, 09:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by skater
I don't get the whole "doing it on a lease was stupid" argument. Whether the car was leased, owned, borrowed, stolen... what ever it was, the results would have been the same: $26k down the drain.

It was "just" an ECU reflash on a leased car. So returning it back to stock would have been easy after the lease. Too late now though

it wouldve been a hell of a lot cheaper if he modded a car he was going to buy instead of leasing. If he had bought he could just total the car and not pay the 26k, just pay off the loan. Since he leased he has to pay off a that 15k loan, lease termination fees, and pay the 26k to fix the car
Old 06-19-08, 10:59 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure thats not from overboost or a BOV. I think something went inside and shredded the turbo.
Old 06-19-08, 11:08 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

*sigh*... another us vs them thread... *yawn*
Old 06-20-08, 05:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yeah, you're right. Only 144k on the odometer of my Supra (with the original turbos pushing 19psi) when we had a little fun on a deserted road coming back from the Dragon...imagine if they weren't so tired!
Dude, the Supra and 2JZ is an exception. Toyota OVERBUILT that engine, it is clear and obvious to us all, thus I won't include it in turbo arguments. In comparison the BMW 3.0 was a 3.0 engine that they added turbos to later in its life.

Old 06-20-08, 01:44 PM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitsubishi sold BMW the crappy turbos, so you'll go buy a Mazdaspeed vehicle
Old 06-20-08, 01:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Dude, the Supra and 2JZ is an exception. Toyota OVERBUILT that engine, it is clear and obvious to us all, thus I won't include it in turbo arguments. In comparison the BMW 3.0 was a 3.0 engine that they added turbos to later in its life.
Well, and this exactly why I said that BMW 3.0tt isnt well engineered, but rather overclocked. See, 2JZ wasn't overbuilt, it was engineered properly to handle twin turbos, as well as NSX engine was engineed to handle 8000rpms, unlike past gen M3's engine.
Old 06-21-08, 06:26 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

It's of no surprise that the 335 ended itself, we now live in a period where car manufactures are not building cars like the company's they started out as, car are built for profit and to achieve certain numbers only to better other makes, the supra was a heavy duty engine, the 335 can't compare to that, why anyone would lease a car and put a piggy back and anything else on it that is not backed by the manufacture is just odd, if you have 26k to replace the engine, turbos and piping you could have done some other stuff with that money, funny how the guy no longer wants the car, if I blow an engine up and spend 26k I'm driving the car

Cars are fast enough, speed don't prove a thing, I'm all for the handling, I want to hit triple digits on the bends not the straight aways

Quick Reply: another 335i blows its turbos