Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Porsche 911 Turns Fast Times on the 'Ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by vcheng
As a matter of fact: Yes, to both. I have a 400-hp LS2 Corvette with a six speed manual, and I have driven the 505-hp Z06 version that comes only with a stick shift as well.

I agree that your point about banging through the gears very fast is valid for a quarter mile run, and for an impromptu redlight to red light grand prix, but on a road course, or even a spirited drive across a mountain road, I'd still enjoy the stick more.
Good post. I guess to be honest it's probably just my limited driving skills that give me a different opinion. If I'm in a car that powerful I don't have enough time to think about shifting gears!

The Miata of course is a delightfully balanced car, and perhaps would any of these more powerful cars a run for the money on a very tight course where flickability would be more important.
Yeah, autocross, maybe, although not without mods. As an aside, I once saw a Caterham 7 go through an autocross course flat out and the driver didn't brake ONCE. It was mind-boggling.
Old 06-19-08, 08:46 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

next thing you know, Bob Lutz'll drive the Volt around the ring claiming it the fastest electric car on the ring.
Old 06-20-08, 05:14 AM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bitkahuna: Colin Chapman had the right idea about light vehicles. If I remember correctly, the Caterham 7 is based on one of his designs, and is a blast to drive even with "only" 200 bhp or so from a light 4 cylinder engine. The new Lotus Exige is a devil on the track, as is a properly set up Miata. Of course, the most critical component in any car, on the road, off it, or on a race course, is surely the "nut behind the wheel"!

Coco-bun: Well, that may soon be possible. The new Tesla roadster, once sorted out fully, should do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, and batteries may yet provide enought juice to power through the entire 'ring at a blistering pace. When one considers that electric motors make their maximum torque at ZERO rpm, launching like a bat out of hell is easy! Of course, the Volt will still be made by GM, and serviced by Chevy dealers, and as a Corvette owner, both of those things can have their downsides.

PS: I do own Lexus as well, so I hope to continue to qualify to be a member of these fora.

Last edited by vcheng; 06-20-08 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 05:46 AM
LexFather

I'd buy the stick to argue with people on the internetz and to be a purist.
I'd buy the DSG to actually drive the car around and to keep me happy.

Old 06-20-08, 06:39 AM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I'd buy the stick to argue with people on the internetz and to be a purist.
I'd buy the DSG to actually drive the car around and to keep me happy.

Great post! As long as one knows what makes one happy........go for it!