Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Linked to Human Trafficking and Sweatshop Abuses

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 09:51 AM
TruthTellr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it was either Exxon or Mobil that currently has plants or pipelines running through Myanmar(Burma). That's why we didn't bomb them despite the Junta govt. purposely letting tens of thousands more to die unnecessary after the hurricane subsided. Saddam wasn't even that bad to his own citizens. But we have no problem sending billions to Iraq and turning america into one of the most hated country in the world so Blackwater and other Bush/cheney affiliated companies can have exclusive contract rights.

Toyota/Honda/GM/Ford/BMW/AUDI/VW all make billions in China despite china having some of the worse human rights abuse. Since foreign journalist or journalists in general aren't allowed much access in China, wouldn't surprise me if VW and GM are slave driving their chinese employees as we speak. The National Labor Committee needs to take that 65page report and shove it up their hypocrite a$$ or Toyota's lawyers will gladly do it for them.

Last edited by TruthTellr; 06-20-08 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 09:53 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im sorry... different culture, different values, different morals, get it? we cant judge Japan with American ways of thinking... Writers of the article are clueless...
Old 06-20-08, 10:01 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Im sorry... different culture, different values, different morals, get it? we cant judge Japan with American ways of thinking... Writers of the article are clueless...
Did you even read the article?

Different culture, values, and morals? Those have nothing to do with overworking, underpaying, and blackmailing employees bud.

This isn't the American way of thinking. It's from a perspective as a citizen of mankind.

You sir, are clueless.
Old 06-20-08, 10:18 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

so will i be finding a dead worker in my trunk when i buy a toyota?
cool
lol jk

im only joking in my reply because i dont fully believe in everything i read without proof
and this allegation requires a lot of proof that i need to see before i make up my mind and comment on it
Old 06-20-08, 11:24 AM
TruthTellr
Rookie

Originally Posted by BrianGS430

This isn't the American way of thinking. It's from a perspective as a citizen of mankind.

You sir, are clueless.
Of course it's the american way of thinking, been that way ever since we nuked Japan twice. You're just too american to see. Don't you know that america is the the center of the universe and anyone who disagrees with our ways is branded a commie, terrorists or Ricer?
Old 06-20-08, 11:34 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll agree that this is horrific news, but it's reality when a country/region is becoming industrialized. We all know how it was in the US during the Industrial Revolution.

These abused workers are not idiots. They will eventually gain enough power to defend themselves against the big corporations.
Old 06-20-08, 11:44 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

If there is any truth to the report then regardless of who else carries on the practice it is still incongruous with Toyota's other image of Green responsibility and ethnic diversity. Kind of makes some of that seem hypocritical.
Old 06-20-08, 11:47 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you even read the article?

Different culture, values, and morals? Those have nothing to do with overworking, underpaying, and blackmailing employees bud.

You sir, are clueless.
*yawn*... maybe i am clueless, sorry but i see things from a different perspective.
Old 06-20-08, 11:53 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
*yawn*... maybe i am clueless, sorry but i see things from a different perspective.
I'm curious to know what perspective that is.
Old 06-20-08, 12:34 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
^^ Works for Wal-Mart
But i wonder what walmart is going to do once china's economy completely booms... people will demand higher wages to keep up
Old 06-20-08, 12:36 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

This is not a shock... there are many businesses that do similar things but many aren't large so chances are they will not makes the news
Old 06-20-08, 12:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 780 Likes on 546 Posts

Barring some economic miracle, there will always be third world countries. If China booms so much people want more wages, then businesses will look for cheap labor elsewhere.
Old 06-20-08, 01:05 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

tagged till i read the artical...
Old 06-20-08, 01:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting read.

I would like to hear Och and TRDFantasy's opinion of this article because the very reason they despise Hyundai so much, is now on Toyota.
If this is indeed true, then I will hate Toyota and will never buy any of their products again.
Old 06-20-08, 01:21 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
If this is indeed true, then I will hate Toyota and will never buy any of their products again.
like you've done with BMW and other German products?

It is wrong for ANY company to exploit labor in such ways, but with consumers demanding low prices for quality goods...costs have to be cut somewhere. As others have mentioned, the biggest cut can come from cutting labor costs, regardless whether they be man or machine...

Quick Reply: Toyota Linked to Human Trafficking and Sweatshop Abuses