Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Linked to Human Trafficking and Sweatshop Abuses

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 05:12 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, lets not care, lets not try and do anythiing about it. Great attitude.
not everyone can be like rambo and free the Burmese people. only one person can....rambo.
Old 06-20-08, 05:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
not everyone can be like rambo and free the Burmese people. only one person can....rambo.
No no no, you forgot Chuck Norris! I bet Chuck Norris could kick Rambos ***, thats why Rambo is hiding in Vietnam
Old 06-20-08, 07:42 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

so not to buy any product from countries that's done bad things? so no Germany, Japanese, Chinese's cover ups of things.

But hey, I'm Chinese, I have a Lexus, my brother have a BMW...

I guess I didn't cared as much because none of my family/relatives are involved into the chaos. Also IMO, what's done is done, you can't do anything about it, it's not like you shall kill off the Japanese because Japanese people did bad things before, but that's a different generation.

Just like if you did bad things, your son shall be punished? I don't think so, and if you treat the next generation thinking they'll be the same as last generation, they will BECOME how their predecessor was.

Just voicing how I think, I just don't like how one punished shall be looked down again.
Old 06-20-08, 07:57 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bwaaaaa..... what a joke. You think they could have made up any more crap? What is this crap about dieing from overwork? People who write this stuff just rely on peoples ability to think the worst of another country. I garrentee you toyota would be out of business if they did even one of the things that was stated. What a joke....
Old 06-20-08, 08:12 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Bwaaaaa..... what a joke. You think they could have made up any more crap? What is this crap about dieing from overwork? People who write this stuff just rely on peoples ability to think the worst of another country. I garrentee you toyota would be out of business if they did even one of the things that was stated. What a joke....
I don't believe the writer of the article is the one saying the guy died from over work, but it was the Japanese courts that awarded money to the spouse that ruled it as such. Blame the Japan courts for that one of you don't believe it, but that one is on the record books.

Also, I don't think any company would be out of business for doing such things as I believe many if not most of the largest business around the world are probably guilty of similar practices to some degree. That is just how it is in the world we live in today. It is wrong, but the majority of people don't care as long as they get the products they desire.
Old 06-20-08, 08:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Also, the majority of the people are not aware of what's happening in the world. For all we know, 90% of the household items we use could have been made by 'slaves'.
Old 06-20-08, 08:37 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

All I can say is that I hope it becomes better for those that are exposed to such conditions. I say the answer is education. Even if their parents have to work this way, their children can lead better lives with an education.

We can sit here and try to do what we can for them, but honestly it is in their hands. With education they can pull themselves out of poverty and injustice.
Old 06-20-08, 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
But i wonder what walmart is going to do once china's economy completely booms... people will demand higher wages to keep up
There will be new low cost producers. I predict Africa next.
Old 06-20-08, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Och, if you look hard enough, you'll find a reason not to buy anything from anywhere.
Old 06-20-08, 08:55 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
One thing that I still dont get, how did Hitler get all these German people to follow him, and do what they did? I mean I understand (but I do no condone it in any way) when undeducated, desperate people in thrid world countries commit masacres, but Germany was economically strong with some of the most intellegent and educated people... How did they all came to become a bunch of murdering psychos? Of course you have greed and Hitlers promise of easy profit are tempting, but would it make reasonable people become murderers? Do you think Americans could ever do it? For instance if an American leader said, lets kill all the arabs and take their for free? I'm sure a lot of rednecks would support the idea, but I doubt any would actually grab the guns and go for it.
Not all German citizens sided with Hitler and ***** and many opposed him, there was organized resistance of German citizens against Hitler and ***** but they did not have the firepower to be all that effective. German citizens had no choice but to follow Hitler and the *****. If they actively opposed it they were simply rounded up and killed. ***** did not just kill Jews but German citizens who helped and sympathized with Jews, they also killed or imprisoned Germans who did not support the **** party or German citizens they did not trust. Their were also many German citizens who risked their lives by helping and hiding their Jewish friends and neighbors from the ***** and secretly fed intelligence of German military forces to the Allied army's. If all these German citizens were so for ***** and Hitler then there would have been mass resistance when American and other Allies populated their countries after WWII. Germans wanted Americans and American bases in their country so another Hitler and **** party would never rise up again and cause them to get in another horrible war. Germany and Japan did commit atrocities during WWII and the Germany and Japanese military killed and tortured Russian soldiers and citizens as well as Americans but that does not mean they are the same people today as they were over 60 years ago and it is right to hold a grudge. Most Germans are absolutely ashamed of Hitler and the **** party.

I can understand why your grandfather would be angry at Germany at the time and have some resentment but at the same time he should understand that hating an entire group of people based on what some members did in the past is wrong and is counterproductive and not all Germans supported ***** and were forced to comply at that time. My grandfather was in the US Navy and fought in WWII and held alot of resentment against the Japanese because he lost many good friends during the attack on Pearl Harbor and would get angry at people buying Japanese goods but now he no longer really holds that resentment because he knows it is wrong to blame the Japanese today for what the Japanese did over 60 years ago and he now does buy and own Japanese good and does not give me or my cousins grief for owning Japanese cars.
Old 06-20-08, 08:57 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Im sorry... different culture, different values, different morals, get it? we cant judge Japan with American ways of thinking... Writers of the article are clueless...
Does that mean I can decapitate babies in Darfur? I mean, it is a different country and we can't judge what someone might do in Darfur with our American ways of thinking.
Old 06-20-08, 09:18 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Pretty much every german company used slave labor during WW2, including BMW, MB, and whatever Audi was called during that time. Dr. Porsche himself was a famous ****, he was a personal friend of Hitler, and was arrested as war criminal when the war was over.
There are so many problems with your post, I've chosen to address several of the glaring falsehoods individually.

Ferdinand Porsche along with Ferry Porsche and Anton Piech were indeed arrested after WWII but were released. The French were pressuring them to come to France and produce vehicles for them.

http://www.autohistory.org/feature_6.html

Originally Posted by Och
As far as whom they used, I dont know, probably everyone besides the Jews. They usually killed all the Jews, usually by burning them alive in ovens, and used everyone else for slave labor and such. 20,000,000 of my people killed by ***** in WW2.
Jews killed in concentration camps during WWII were most often killed in gas chambers or shot. They were NOT burned alive in ovens. Obviously it doesn't make the deed any less horrific but your statement is factually wrong.

Originally Posted by Och
And yeah, BMW never built planes for the *****... They tried, but failed, lol. So much for German engineering.
Try again. BMW was founded in 1913 as an airplane manufacturer.

Specifically during WWII BMW did the following:

Originally Posted by theautobahn.com
World War II
BMW motorcycles, specifically the BMW R 12 and the BMW R 75 combination were used extensively by the Reconnaissance formations of German panzer and motorised divisions of the Heer, Waffen SS and Luftwaffe.

BMW was also a major supplier of engines to the Luftwaffe and of engines and vehicles, especially motorcycles, to the Wehrmacht. Planes used the aero-engines included the 801, one of the most powerful available. Over 30,000 were manufactured up to 1945. BMW also researched jet engines, producing the BMW 003, and rocket-based weapons. BMW has admitted to using between 25,000 and 30,000 slave labourers during this period, consisting of both inmates of infamous concentration camps such as Dachau and prisoners of war.

The BMW works were heavily bombed towards the end of the war. Of its sites, those in eastern Germany (Eisenach-Dürrerhof, Wandlitz-Basdorf and Zühlsdorf) were seized by the Soviets. The factory in Munich was largely destroyed.
Your assertion that they attempted to make planes for the ***** and failed in doing so is factually wrong. They made engines for other airplane manufacturers during WWII and produced other weapons of war but didn't "fail at making airplanes" as you assert.

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/mak...story&make=BMW

In summary, basically nothing that you said in your post was true. It's always good to have at least some truth in the posts when commenting on a forum.
Old 06-20-08, 09:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FSUJBP
There are so many problems with your post, I've chosen to address several of the glaring falsehoods individually.

Ferdinand Porsche along with Ferry Porsche and Anton Piech were indeed arrested after WWII but were released. The French were pressuring them to come to France and produce vehicles for them.

http://www.autohistory.org/feature_6.html
Yeah, they were released after spending like 2 years in prison, but the fact that they were arrested remains. If they were arrested by the Russians, they would've been killed, but you know how soft the French are.

Jews killed in concentration camps during WWII were most often killed in gas chambers or shot. They were NOT burned alive in ovens. Obviously it doesn't make the deed any less horrific but your statement is factually wrong.
Ok, but a lot of Jews were actually burned alive in ovens, I read a lot about that. A lot of **** concentration camps had crematories where people, mostly Jews were burned alive. Another practice that ***** used during the war, when they would occupy a village, they would rob it of food, etc, then lock everyone in one house, pour gasoline over it, and set it on fire... and shoot anyone that would try to escape. Very sick crap. There are actually several that are not too far from the city where I grew up, that were preserved the way they are for memorials.... with just chimneys and foundations left standing up of the houses where people used to live.

And even if most were killed in gas chambers, whats the difference? My point wasnt about how they were killed, but that they were killed, period, while other people were used for slave labor.

Try again. BMW was founded in 1913 as an airplane manufacturer.

Specifically during WWII BMW did the following:

Your assertion that they attempted to make planes for the ***** and failed in doing so is factually wrong. They made engines for other airplane manufacturers during WWII and produced other weapons of war but didn't "fail at making airplanes" as you assert.
Actually they werent founded as an airplane manufacturer, but as airplane ENGINE manufacturer. Yet during WW2 they tried buiding planes, and failed.

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/mak...story&make=BMW

In summary, basically nothing that you said in your post was true. It's always good to have at least some truth in the posts when commenting on a forum.
[/QUOTE]

Then prove it otherwise.

Last edited by Och; 06-20-08 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-20-08, 09:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Straight out of Wikipedia:

In November 1945 after the war, Porsche was asked to continue the design of the Volkswagen in France and to move the factory equipment there as part of war reparations. Differences within the French government and objections from the French automotive industry put a halt to this project before it had even begun. On 15 December 1945, French authorities arrested Porsche, Anton Piëch, and Ferry Porsche as war criminals. While Ferry was set free soon, Ferdinand and Anton were held in a Dijon prison for 20 months without trial.
Old 06-20-08, 09:40 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Och, if you look hard enough, you'll find a reason not to buy anything from anywhere.

ding ding ding.

as cynical and disappointing as this statement is..

it's so true.

Quick Reply: Toyota Linked to Human Trafficking and Sweatshop Abuses