Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?
Yes
5.08%
No
94.92%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 04:00 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I don't simply because it's already included in the dealership's fantastic hourly rates for service.
Old 06-20-08, 04:44 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by babyGS3
are you serious?

When I got my car "retrieved" and/or washed, I tipped them at least 2-3 bucks.. if not, I gave them some soda. (i came from a hot place) And it was very much appreciated!

Now that I work for a BMW dealership and see how little these guys get paid...that little tip that you give them seriously is appreciated!

Good for you They do not get paid much and its a nice thing to do! But I take my wifes car to the Acura dealer and its almost always the same guy there. He is so nice and I can see the appreciation from this older guy. I dont take the Lexus in for this stuff so I am not to sure what they do here locally.
Old 06-20-08, 07:18 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I only tip those positions in the industry that are generally tip based income. We all know what they are. I don't think it is a bad idea for people to tip anyone they wish to tip if that is the type of person you are. I don't think it should become standard practice to tip everyone that works for low pay. Heck, I work for low pay myself according to my own standards. I'm overworked and underpaid. Why shouldn't people tip me for doing my job? Too me, it doesn't matter if the pay is low or not. I once worked in those types of low paying positions as car dealerships. I did that not to make a living but to gain work experience and move to a higher paying job.

I don't tip people for doing their job. I tip people because I appreciate the service they gave me. There is a difference there for me at least.

This brings up another pet peeve of mine. What's up with those tip jars at places like Starbucks and other cashiers? I would tip the person if they took my order and brought my cup to the table where I'm seated, but otherwise your just taking the freakin order and doing your job. Pretty soon you'll start to see tip containers and McDonald's and Gas Stations and even at the cashier at the supermarket. It is out of control I tell ya. Heck, knowing how hard my friends used to work when at McDonalds long ago I'd probably feel better tipping them than the cashier at Starbucks.
Old 06-20-08, 08:23 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

it depends, whether or not the kid is wearing the uniform, or has a popped up collar and wears a hollister shirt, haha, kids at our dealer do
Old 06-20-08, 08:42 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not with gas prices reaching $5.00 a gallon son. Anyways, I couldn't even if I wanted to. I've never even heard of that until now.
Old 06-20-08, 10:07 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Normandy7
Just curious to see what other people do. If you do tip, how much do give?
Good question for those that take their cars to the Lexus dealer for free car washes. I have only been in for a single car wash. I did notice that the valets seem to pause momentarily (as in willing to accept a tip) when they return your key to you in the waiting area.
Old 06-20-08, 10:36 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Havent seen a valet at a stealership before- but if i did it would depend on what he was doing- theres always exceptions
Old 06-20-08, 10:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The only reason any "TIP" exists is a reward for service that is over and beyond (exceeds your expectations) what a typical "service" should be.
Old 06-21-08, 07:17 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with previous post. These employees are called "porters" here in SoCal
Old 06-22-08, 08:10 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
The only reason any "TIP" exists is a reward for service that is over and beyond (exceeds your expectations) what a typical "service" should be.
if that's the case, most of the waiters i see shouldn't get any tips at all.

i'll keep that in mind next time, and tip less.
Old 06-22-08, 08:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Tipping practices are different for different countries too.
In some countries, like Singapore for example, they don't expect tips at all, including waiters. They supposedly get paid enough from their salaries, unlike in N.America, where it's public knowledge that waiters get paid the miniumum wage(or close to), & that they rely on tips to make a decent living.
Old 06-22-08, 12:52 PM
soakgame
Lead Lap

there is no valet at the dealership i go to
Old 06-22-08, 07:46 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to agree with anyone who said that tipping is optional. I used to work at a Toyota dealer and occasionally had shuttle duty (fun driving around and sometimes talking with cool customers). Once in awhile a customer will tip, but I would usually decline it since I would tell them that the service is part of what they pay so it isn't anything extra that they have to pay for. Of course, if they insisted I'd take the tip, I'd have lunch money

But for the Lexus dealer, service is more scrutinized than at a Toyota dealer, so tipping isn't something that's expected; but of course, if you receive extraordinary care, giving them a dollar is the least you can do.
Old 06-23-08, 06:56 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
there are times when you tip graciously.
Oh yes.

I havent tipped the guy before, I figure he just moves the service vehicles around, not exactly a Valet.
Old 06-23-08, 08:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So we have one tipper so far, I dont feel so bad now for not tipping those guys

Quick Reply: Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?