Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?
Yes
5.08%
No
94.92%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 02:56 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I only tip those positions in the industry that are generally tip based income. We all know what they are. I don't think it is a bad idea for people to tip anyone they wish to tip if that is the type of person you are. I don't think it should become standard practice to tip everyone that works for low pay. Heck, I work for low pay myself according to my own standards. I'm overworked and underpaid. Why shouldn't people tip me for doing my job? Too me, it doesn't matter if the pay is low or not. I once worked in those types of low paying positions as car dealerships. I did that not to make a living but to gain work experience and move to a higher paying job.

I don't tip people for doing their job. I tip people because I appreciate the service they gave me. There is a difference there for me at least.

This brings up another pet peeve of mine. What's up with those tip jars at places like Starbucks and other cashiers? I would tip the person if they took my order and brought my cup to the table where I'm seated, but otherwise your just taking the freakin order and doing your job. Pretty soon you'll start to see tip containers and McDonald's and Gas Stations and even at the cashier at the supermarket. It is out of control I tell ya. Heck, knowing how hard my friends used to work when at McDonalds long ago I'd probably feel better tipping them than the cashier at Starbucks.
Originally Posted by Xotic sC
The only reason any "TIP" exists is a reward for service that is over and beyond (exceeds your expectations) what a typical "service" should be.
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Tipping practices are different for different countries too.
In some countries, like Singapore for example, they don't expect tips at all, including waiters. They supposedly get paid enough from their salaries, unlike in N.America, where it's public knowledge that waiters get paid the miniumum wage(or close to), & that they rely on tips to make a decent living.
These guys are right on the $.
Old 06-27-08, 05:28 PM
BRADSGS4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
These guys are right on the $.
We have people that will tip them. I see it and get asked if it should be done. I always say yes to the customer because my guys will run there *** of if needed. I think if a person asks me then they have no problem with me saying yes. We have up to 8 on at one time of the day. They move 150 cars out of the service lane and then bring them back down for pickup. That doesn't count the crazy amount of loaner cars that get moved and all them have to walk to the wash bay and bring them up after there done.
Old 06-27-08, 05:58 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Tip them for what??? So they can scrape the underside of my exhaust when they plow right up the driveway?
Old 06-27-08, 08:19 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I just left the dealership a few hours ago after picking my car up from service and when they brought it around, I started to reach into my pocket and thought to myself, that this wasn't a restaurant, they had recieved the benefit of my car already being there and that additional customer service is part of the package, not supplementary...so I took my hand back out, smiled, grabbed the key and threw the guy the peace sign and said thanks. Done deal!
Old 06-27-08, 09:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Few years back I tried to visit Lexus of Oxnard only to be met with valet parking for anything, can't park anywhere else other than down the street. I only needed some parts. I left never to return. Figure, I would have to remove my Ipod, V1, money from the center console, etc... Just not worth the trouble. Valets are fine in some instances but usually they are not around long enough for me to even see them yet alone tip them. Each dealership is different.