Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?
Yes
5.08%
No
94.92%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 09:31 AM
Normandy7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?

Just curious to see what other people do. If you do tip, how much do give?
Old 06-20-08, 09:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

valet attendant? for what? the dealership is not big enough to have customers parking?
Old 06-20-08, 09:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

When you bring it in for service, you have to valet park right? I dont tip them, but I often wonder about that. Does anyone else tip them, if so, how much?
Old 06-20-08, 10:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I have never needed to valet park my car at any Lexus dealerships, you can usually find some space near the service department entrance, or you just park it in front of their doors (none have valet attendents anyway).
After you give them the key, one of the service workers (they are not valet attendents) there will drive them back to where they service the cars soon anyway.
Old 06-20-08, 10:50 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never seen one unless you're talking about the guy that takes my car from the service garage back to where the mechanics are. I don't consider a mechanic's garage to be the same thing as a parking spot while I go to the movies. If that's how their dealership operates then that's fine but it's not any convenience to me... it's just how they move cars around.
Old 06-20-08, 11:13 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

of course not, there are times when you tip graciously and there are times when you just don't need to.
Old 06-20-08, 11:15 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whlkev
there are times when you tip graciously
Oh yeah~~~

Old 06-20-08, 11:19 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i always wondered about that. for example jim falk lexus in beverly hills has a valet, though i think thats due to lack of parking.
Old 06-20-08, 11:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
i always wondered about that. for example jim falk lexus in beverly hills has a valet, though i think thats due to lack of parking.
i didn't pay. i almost wanted to leave when i knew i had to leave my key with them

going for service appointments, i don't call that valet parking.... that's me
Old 06-20-08, 12:23 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

hmmm... at our Portland dealership there isn't a valet as such. we drive directly into a reception bay, there are 4 of them 3 cars deep, a "lot boy" comes over, verifies the appt., captures the mileage and walks us over to one of 8 desks where they write up the order, we sign the estimate and then either pickup a loaner, wait in the waiting area or depart. When we pick up the car, we go to the same desk we checked in at, pay the man our $$, pick up our keys and chocolates. The car is waiting right outside the door.

So, no valet.
Old 06-20-08, 12:39 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

When you get your car serviced, those aren't valet guys..they're more like car retrievers..so no need to tip.

it's like if you bring it to a tire shop and get your tires changed, they have to drive the car for you and retrieve it for you.
Old 06-20-08, 12:47 PM
Armand
Driver

LONGO has the valet. I don't tip because most of what the valet does is for the benefit of the service dept. not for me -- fill out the form (mileage etc), prep the car for service (paper floor mat, plastic over seats), then drives the car around back to the service staging area. None of the above being for my benefit, its for the svc dept's benefit....I don't even get my door opened for me or helped with briefcase/bags.

My last visit (2 days ago) I forgot to mention "NO WASH" (they place a no wash cone on top of your car), they had already driven the car to the service staging area. I asked the valet if he would take a cone with him on his next trip back and place the "no wash" cone on the car. His reply, ask your service advisor to note it on the computer. LOL so no I don't tip those guys.
Old 06-20-08, 03:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I never heard of a valet at the dealership I guess it truly is different from dealer to dealer. When I took my car in for service, you just drive your car right into the service acceptance lanes, then a service attendant meets you, takes your name and does the usual visual inspection and mileage reading, then since you typically have to already have a service appointment directs you to wait for the next available service writer. From there, they take your car and park it in their service waiting lot. I don't call that being a valet. I used to do the same thing when I worked at a dealership out of High School. I'd be pissed if they are now considered tip eligible valet parkers. I could have made a killing back then
Old 06-20-08, 03:37 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tip?
get outta here. don't encourage it.
Old 06-20-08, 03:46 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
tip?
get outta here. don't encourage it.
are you serious?

When I got my car "retrieved" and/or washed, I tipped them at least 2-3 bucks.. if not, I gave them some soda. (i came from a hot place) And it was very much appreciated!

Now that I work for a BMW dealership and see how little these guys get paid...that little tip that you give them seriously is appreciated!

Quick Reply: Do you tip the Valet Attendant at the Lexus Dealership?