Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Seriously considering a C63 over IS-F...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 04:23 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam8065
yes inquiring minds want to know?
inquiring minds indeed. what did you hear?
Old 06-26-08, 01:17 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My exhaust shop's owner, for example, has, had a CLS55 AMG, the car spent more time in the dealer repairing than in his garage, the dealer even ordered the wrong parts to put in the AMG... finally he had enough and Mercedes took the car back under Lemon Law. My co-worker owns another AMG, have had many electrical problem he regularly visiting the dealer... I can go on and on and on, seriously, have you ever heard about the reliability problems of the high end Mercedes? I am not saying the C63 AMG is going to have the similar problems but I would think twice before dish out $$ for an AMG. Again, Dave600hL didn't even give GT-R a chance after test drove it... so it is all about personal preference.
Old 06-26-08, 08:25 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by memasterac
My exhaust shop's owner, for example, has, had a CLS55 AMG, the car spent more time in the dealer repairing than in his garage, the dealer even ordered the wrong parts to put in the AMG... finally he had enough and Mercedes took the car back under Lemon Law. My co-worker owns another AMG, have had many electrical problem he regularly visiting the dealer... I can go on and on and on, seriously, have you ever heard about the reliability problems of the high end Mercedes? I am not saying the C63 AMG is going to have the similar problems but I would think twice before dish out $$ for an AMG. Again, Dave600hL didn't even give GT-R a chance after test drove it... so it is all about personal preference.
Mercedes has had problems across the board from 1998-2004, most of their cars from that time frame were total garbage they were selling on brand name alone. Their reliability from 2005 and beyond is absolutely fine. That being said if he gets himself the Merc he will obviously have warranty on his car for 50,000 and he can always extend his warranty if need be.
Old 06-26-08, 04:52 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by memasterac
I have heard the stories about benz up until a few years ago. My brother in law has owned benz exclusively with cars like the the S-class AMG, SL AMG and the CL AMG all bought new, And I have seen the problems he has had. But as someone has pointed out their quality over the last few years has really picked up and thats why I am considering this time around.

As I have said quite a few times the GTR is good for one thing only, speed. It is not a confortable car from the suspension to the seats, definately not a car that I want to drive to work in everyday. On top of that the quality is way below that of the benz and lexus. I may only 32 but I have had my fair share of unconfortable fast cars and I am realizing that there is more to a car these days.
Old 06-26-08, 10:58 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

C63.

although lexus is far more reliable and I know someone who has given a Benz back as a lemon, the sportiness and performance of the C63 is far superior to that of Lexus' first supersedan. AMG doesn't hire morons, they know their stuff. Lexus isn't full of airhead either, but they took a bolt on approach to a sedan and released it as a high power four door. I am sure that future IS-F's will resemble the C63 of today. Get the C63.
Old 06-27-08, 11:17 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't test drove a C63 (they're selling like hotcakes in the U.S. so dealers hardly have demos) but I've heard it's got a stiffer ride for daily driving compared to the M3 and IS-F. Also, I'm not sure how AMG keeps its value in Japan but it sure depreciates a lot in the U.S. especially compared to the M3. You can find 05/06 C55s here for around $25-$35k when it was a $60k brand new car just 2 or 3 years ago. The M3, on the other hand, a 2001 E46 M3 still goes for around $20k even though the E92 came out already.

The C63, however, is a faaast car and the exhaust note is orgasmic. I'm actually looking into that RS/M/AMG/F segment now but I really want a stick so I narrowed it down to the M3 coupe. So if the price difference means nothing to you and you want the best performer of the two, the C63 will be the better choice over the IS-F.
Old 06-27-08, 01:32 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adam8065
Mercedes has had problems across the board from 1998-2004, most of their cars from that time frame were total garbage they were selling on brand name alone. Their reliability from 2005 and beyond is absolutely fine.
I have to agree. My wife's '06 E350 was rock solid...no issues during the 2.5 years she drove it. And it was built very well, not one rattle...unlike my GS.

Aside from a brake TSB, my E63 has been absolutely perfect as well.

As much as I like Lexus and the IS-F, I would choose the C63. I love the C63's exterior styling and the exhaust note is just insane...much more aggressive than my E63. But I do prefer the IS-F's interior, namely the touchscreen nav system over the MB COMAND system.
Old 06-27-08, 01:36 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I have to agree. My wife's '06 E350 was rock solid...no issues during the 2.5 years she drove it. And it was built very well, not one rattle...unlike my GS.

Aside from a brake TSB, my E63 has been absolutely perfect as well.

As much as I like Lexus and the IS-F, I would choose the C63. I love the C63's exterior styling and the exhaust note is just insane...much more aggressive than my E63. But I do prefer the IS-F's interior, namely the touchscreen nav system over the MB COMAND system.
the C63 has the new command system just like the S class, so it has to better than the mb command system that you and I probably have!
Old 06-27-08, 02:48 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
As I have said quite a few times the GTR is good for one thing only, speed. It is not a confortable car from the suspension to the seats, definately not a car that I want to drive to work in everyday. On top of that the quality is way below that of the benz and lexus. I may only 32 but I have had my fair share of unconfortable fast cars and I am realizing that there is more to a car these days.
It is so true, as I said it's all about personal preference. I wish you the best with C63 AMG if you end up getting it. IMHO, the C63's aggressive exterior looks the best among the premium compact performance cars.