Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM raises prices 3.5% for 2009 models, launches 0% for 72 months sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 09:09 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 756 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
The car industry needs a reset on prices. Do the car manufacturers really think a higher price with a discount is an easier sell than a much lower price? Wouldn't I react more favorably to a car priced at 28K instead of 35K?
To be honest I think it is easier to sell it with the discounts. If you're talking to someone and they say "I got it for 5k off MSRP" then it makes it sound like they got a better deal than if they said "I got it for MSRP"

They managed to "save" 5k rather than just pay what the manufacturer wanted.
Old 06-28-08, 10:40 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Financing at zero interest is losing money and big time which partially explains why GMAC has been a money loser for some time now. You are borrowing money to lend to consumers at a zero payback. It cost them to borrow money just the same as everyone else.
Old 06-28-08, 12:31 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Financing at zero interest is losing money and big time which partially explains why GMAC has been a money loser for some time now. You are borrowing money to lend to consumers at a zero payback. It cost them to borrow money just the same as everyone else.
GM pays GMAC the interest for you - either up front in a lump sum or over time... not sure which.

It's really just another way of packaging a rebate. All works out the same in the end, though 0% for 72 months equals a pretty huge rebate.
Old 06-28-08, 12:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
GM pays GMAC the interest for you - either up front in a lump sum or over time... not sure which.

It's really just another way of packaging a rebate. All works out the same in the end, though 0% for 72 months equals a pretty huge rebate.
I would like to see a reference from an outside source on that but it does make sense considering GM no longer has a majority interest in GMAC and the investment group would not take the hit for GM. Why go down with a dead whale?

Last edited by Pearlpower; 06-28-08 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 12:57 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I would like to see a reference from an outside source on that before I would believe it.
I've seen it mentioned a few times before but have no idea where to begin looking to provide you with a link.

You don't need to see an outside reference if you just think about it for a second.

GM only owns a minority share of GMAC... the majority is held by Cerberus CM. Cerberus is not in the business of charity work for GM, thus they're not about to eat a bunch of 0% finance deals.

Ask Toyota if they get their batteries for free from Panasonic EV. Even if they eventually buy out the remainder of PEV standard business models would dictate that unless PEV is absorbed into Toyota corporate's infrastructure and no longer acts like an independent company, then it would continue to bill Toyota corp for its services so that it could show its own realistic profit and loss, regardless of the vertical integration.
Old 06-28-08, 03:36 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Losing money does not equate to making as much money. If their profit margin is > cost of rebate/financing they aren't losing money. They aren't making as much as they would like but they aren't losing.

Originally Posted by Threxx

Exactly, except it isn't really that big. Even at $30K financing @ 7% it's only $2100. Compared to money offered on the hood or in the trunk it is not huge.

Originally Posted by Allen K
To be honest I think it is easier to sell it with the discounts. If you're talking to someone and they say "I got it for 5k off MSRP" then it makes it sound like they got a better deal than if they said "I got it for MSRP"

They managed to "save" 5k rather than just pay what the manufacturer wanted.
You might be right but I'd rather say I spent 28000 vs. 35000 but with a 6K rebate! If so my faith my fellow man continues to decline.
Old 06-28-08, 03:48 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Exactly, except it isn't really that big. Even at $30K financing @ 7% it's only $2100. Compared to money offered on the hood or in the trunk it is not huge.
That's only for the first year. Granted the balance is reduced by 1/6th per year so year 2 will equate to less rebate, and so on but believe me on a 30k dollar car it's a lot more than $2100... even though their cost of lending is much lower than 7%.
Old 06-28-08, 03:54 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i want an escalade now
Old 06-28-08, 04:15 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

its simply robbing peter to pay paul....to stimulate business.

the manufacture rebate from GM is given to GMAC.

So wether GMAC is buying down the rate to offer 0% they still get GM rebate money.

And all 0% deals arent money losers either. Beacause the monthly payment is relativley lower on that specific unit due to 0%, it allows the customer to take advantage of all products and services F&I has to offer, thus, making profit.
Old 06-28-08, 05:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

My new Dell was 0% for 12 mos so I went for it. Made the decision easier.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-28-08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 06:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
My new Dell was 0% for 112 mos so I went for it. Made the decision easier.
Damn dude

Old 06-28-08, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Damn dude
Hehe, yeah, $12/mo. for 112 months.
Old 06-29-08, 12:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Hehe, yeah, $12/mo. for 112 months.
HAHAHAHA, you caught it

Well Escalade sales will rise again its the official car of Atlanta with the 300C