Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Debating between 05 TSX and 04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-08, 01:13 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason I love the LS is because I learned to drive in my 94 LS400..

I had some minor suspension mods: struts/springs, CA bushings, sway bar bushings, etc. It was a great blend of comfort and luxury. I also had a full blown audio setup, remote start, custom leather interior, custom paint job, etc, basically a lot of mods that made it the perfect luxury cruiser. With my sound system I spent hours and hours tuning and fabricating, sound deadening, to get one of the best SQ setups I could build. I absolutely loved driving home and just listening to great music.

That's why I want an LS430, I'm excited about how great of a platform it is for creating another great highway cruiser, and a great platform for a new and better audio setup. I also just love how luxurious the interior is.

If I bought a TSX, I wouldn't do an audio build, unless after a year the car really grew on me. The reason I'm considering a TSX is because this is a chance to try "something different". None of my friends understand my fascination and love for the LS (and similar large luxury cars), and think I should try getting a sporty car. Also, if I ever decide to own some of my other dream cars, I'll need to learn to drive a manual well anyways, right?

I'm pretty much on the fence on this one. The points people make about gas costs are valid, so I'll make that less a factor in my decision. I need to call my insurance company and figure out what the costs to insure are going to be, and I'm sure that will help in my decision..

In regards to other cars: I think the cost of ownership of BMWs are high, and when buying used, I'd much rather stick with the Japanese..
Old 06-24-08, 02:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, consider this.... look how much money you're saving compared to the new price of the vehicles you're considering. A brand new TSX was 28K, and dealers let them out for 26K, brand new. So for 18K, you're saving measly 8K. With LS430, its price was what, between 55-60K? So you're saving 30-35K. Whoohoo, tough choice, lol.
Old 06-24-08, 02:48 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Also, consider this.... look how much money you're saving compared to the new price of the vehicles you're considering. A brand new TSX was 28K, and dealers let them out for 26K, brand new. So for 18K, you're saving measly 8K. With LS430, its price was what, between 55-60K? So you're saving 30-35K. Whoohoo, tough choice, lol.
That just tells me the lexus depreciates more. Who cares what he's saving, its what he's actually spending.

Why invest more in a car that a) depreciates horribly b) has worse mileage c) not as fun to drive d) you may not even keep if you go to grad school.

The TSX is a more practical choice for you, period.
Old 06-24-08, 03:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by leedogg
That just tells me the lexus depreciates more. Who cares what he's saving, its what he's actually spending.

Why invest more in a car that a) depreciates horribly b) has worse mileage c) not as fun to drive d) you may not even keep if you go to grad school.

The TSX is a more practical choice for you, period.
Thats not quite correct.

a) The LS does not depreciate horribly, but all luxury cars lose value tremendously during the first 3-4 years. From this point on, both LS and TSX will depreciate at roughly the same rate 2-3k a year.

b) Mileage depends on your driving style.

c) LS is much much much more fun to drive than a poseur four banger. I'm sorry, but a V8 with 325lb/tq + RWD + adjustable air suspension just makes a fwd fourbanger laughable.

d) You can sell the LS four years later for 15K and buy two TSX
Old 06-24-08, 03:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having driven both cars, I can definitely relate to the differences...these are very different vehicles. One is FWD, the other RWD...In general, I like the feel of a RWD car better. Moreover, from the ease of the parking brake on the LS vs, the armrest lever on the TSX, to the interior comfort, stereo etc. It's no comparison. The TSX is good for its class however.

The LS 430 is of course bigger, but its overall length (196.7") is exactly the same is you beloved, much-missed original LS 400. The wheelbase is longer however, at 115.2" vs. 110.8" -- and of course there are the modding possibilities.

Yes, the TSX is more of a 'practical' decision but in that range have you considered the IS with RWD, another Lexus, or another luxury car? Or at the 4-cyl. range, or the V6 range...?

Also, to compare...the 1993 LS 400 was rated then at 19/23; the 2004 LS 430 was rated at 18/25, so fuel economy should be about the same as your previous ride. I think in the end it depends on head, heart, and coming to the best choice there. From my realist perspective, the LS 430 has the heart, yet if I was fine with the LS 400, then the LS 430 should keep that going and more (amenities in particular). If I was looking to save cash, and have less need to take other people around, I would consider an entry-level car like the TSX.

But at that price range, I would even consider looking into an ES 330, which contained many LS features and a rich interior, plus has similar room to the original LS 400. One issue is the lack of RWD though, which is why I originally suggested the IS and of course remain partial to the LS in each generation.

Last edited by encore888; 06-24-08 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-24-08, 04:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If gas mileage and fun to drive is a major concern, get the TSX. The gas mileage will be a lot better for the same type of driving in the TSX. My LS in mostly city driving was getting as low as 12/13 MPG. I could get up to 22 MPG on the highway/freeway, with a general combined of about 16-18MPG on average. My brother in law's 05 manual TSX is getting mid 20 MPG range on average.
Old 06-24-08, 05:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thats not quite correct.

a) The LS does not depreciate horribly, but all luxury cars lose value tremendously during the first 3-4 years. From this point on, both LS and TSX will depreciate at roughly the same rate 2-3k a year.

b) Mileage depends on your driving style.

c) LS is much much much more fun to drive than a poseur four banger. I'm sorry, but a V8 with 325lb/tq + RWD + adjustable air suspension just makes a fwd fourbanger laughable.

d) You can sell the LS four years later for 15K and buy two TSX
a) Big v8 luxury cars and SUVs are depreciating pretty bad and will continue to do so in the future, more fuel efficient smaller engined cars will hold their value much better until gas prices go down.

b) Mileage may depend on driving style but anyway you cut it a 4 cylinder smallish TSX is going to get much better mileage then a big heavy 8 cylinder car. If he is going to be driving each car the same way the TSX will get much better gas mileage so what it your point? It is not like he has said if he gets the TSX he is only going to beat it and go as fast as he can everywhere he goes and will just be very easy on the throttle if he gets the LS. Since you are saying the LS is fun to drive because of all the power then that is even more to attribute to it getting poor gas mileage.

c) Have you driven a 6 speed TSX? I can't see possibly how you can feel the cushy LS430 is more fun to drive then a sporty TSX. The LS430 is a fantastic automobile but it is certainly not fun to drive unless you like smooth cruising in a straight line. I have never read a review or come away feeling a LS430 was fun to drive, it is extremely comfortable and smooth but not fun where every review I have read about the TSX talks about how sporty it is and how fun it is to drive and I personally thought it was fun to drive when I drove it. Mashing the pedal on a big luxury car v8 in a straight line is not really what I call fun to drive but it is nice to have all the power for cruising. The TSX may have a 4 cylinder but it is a excellent fairly large 2.4l four cylinder that has 205hp, it is not like it is some weezy 1.8l 120hp 4 banger. If you want to argue the LS is the better choice then argue its real merits that it is much bigger with much more room, is softer, cushier, has more luxury features, and has more power and acceleration not that it is funner to drive or sportier then a highly tuned small sports luxury sedan that has always been highly praised for its handling, nimbleness, and being fun to drive.
Old 06-24-08, 06:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
a) Big v8 luxury cars and SUVs are depreciating pretty bad and will continue to do so in the future, more fuel efficient smaller engined cars will hold their value much better until gas prices go down.
It wont lose value much past 25K that it costs now. It will depreciate slowly from this point.

b) Mileage may depend on driving style but anyway you cut it a 4 cylinder smallish TSX is going to get much better mileage then a big heavy 8 cylinder car. If he is going to be driving each car the same way the TSX will get much better gas mileage so what it your point? It is not like he has said if he gets the TSX he is only going to beat it and go as fast as he can everywhere he goes and will just be very easy on the throttle if he gets the LS. Since you are saying the LS is fun to drive because of all the power then that is even more to attribute to it getting poor gas mileage.
Well, but he's coming from a V8, and switching to a 4 cylinder he's likely to mash on it, after being used to a torquish V8. Plus TSX is just inheretanly dog slow, so it has to be mashed to be driven agressively, while LS430 just goes and the slightest touch of the throttle. Look, both of my LS400 and GS430 get comparable mileage to my old Honda Civic on the highway, it is especially true of GS430 which can do 30mpg on straight up highway driving at 80mph. My Civic used to do roughtly 30 mpg on the highway, while driving way slower than 80, it just couln't sustain 80 without feeling like its falling apart. And the TSX is much heavier than a civic, so real world mileage between LS430 and TSX might be closer than you think.

c) Have you driven a 6 speed TSX? I can't see possibly how you can feel the cushy LS430 is more fun to drive then a sporty TSX. The LS430 is a fantastic automobile but it is certainly not fun to drive unless you like smooth cruising in a straight line. I have never read a review or come away feeling a LS430 was fun to drive, it is extremely comfortable and smooth but not fun where every review I have read about the TSX talks about how sporty it is and how fun it is to drive and I personally thought it was fun to drive when I drove it. Mashing the pedal on a big luxury car v8 in a straight line is not really what I call fun to drive but it is nice to have all the power for cruising. The TSX may have a 4 cylinder but it is a excellent fairly large 2.4l four cylinder that has 205hp, it is not like it is some weezy 1.8l 120hp 4 banger. If you want to argue the LS is the better choice then argue its real merits that it is much bigger with much more room, is softer, cushier, has more luxury features, and has more power and acceleration not that it is funner to drive or sportier then a highly tuned small sports luxury sedan that has always been highly praised for its handling, nimbleness, and being fun to drive.
Well, the TSX that I drove was a 5 speed auto, and I though it was pathetic, and at that time I was comparing it to a tired 1994 GS300 that I had. The ride was horrible, acceleration was pathetic, interior room leaved much to be desired, although build quality was great and beige interior with light wood accents was gorgeous. I came to the dealer with all the intentions to buy the TSX, because my wife crashed the GS300 and it just wasnt the same after repairs, and I completely changed my mind after I test drove it. The old GS300 simply did everything better.

As far as being or not being fun to drive, the worst thing that you can do is base your opinion on that based on magazine reviews. Any modern V8 RWD sedan, besides perhaps Lincoln Town cars, is hella fun to drive. Dont forget, TSX isnt a highly tuned sports sedan, its your basic slow FWD four banger with low profile tires, loud exaust and stiffer spring/shock rates to make it feel sporty. I bet most people will find LS430 way more fun to drive, and especially for the OP, since he's coming from a first gen LS400, the LS430 will be like super improved, perfected car that he loved and owned for a few years.
Old 06-24-08, 07:21 PM
PlatanoTLS
Lead Lap

When I used to get the TSX as a loaner I couldnt wait to give that car back. If they are the same price as you say with the LS you get more bang for the buck.
Old 06-24-08, 07:32 PM
soakgame
Lead Lap

get the LS kid.. no contest
Old 06-24-08, 08:54 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading your posts it seems as if you want to own another LS. IMO, if you are going to buy a TSX just buy something even cheaper. The TSX is your "smart" choice, but if you want to make a good financial choice just buy something extremely cheap just to get around. Doing that you'll be able to save on gas money and the overall expense of the car. How about an Integra with a manual?

If you are going to spend over $15K, just get the LS 430 cause it's a nicer car than the TSX, imo. Also add in the fact that you are interested in putting in a stereo system. You can combine your hobby expenses with your automotive expenses.

Oh by the way are you paying for this all up front or are you financing the car? That alone should sway your choice.
Old 06-24-08, 11:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Suneet, we've already discussed this a decent bit

my main point was, and is:
will the decreased gas consumption save you the amount of money over say 2 years that you would hope compared to driving the LS430 daily? im reminded of the situation when the prius came out, the premium over the base economical camry was so much that the statistic was that you'd have to drive something like 100,000 miles before you started saving any money on gas. obviously, the LS is thirstier, but you are getting a LOT more car for your money dollar to dollar...
Old 06-24-08, 11:37 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Seattle = Rain = FWD = TSX... Plus it's easier to park!
Old 06-24-08, 11:40 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to finance the car. I've got 6K in my hand right now, and the rest I will need to finance. Depending on the rate, I can pay it off aggressively (less than 2 years), but if I get a good rate, I see no point in paying it off in less than 3 years.

I graduated from college about a year ago and I'm trying to save up as much as I can, which is why I originally started considering a civic, but I just don't think I'd be happy with it. That and the 06-07 Civics were still looking like they'd cost near 12-13K, so I figured a TSX would be a good compromise..
Old 06-24-08, 11:46 PM
LexFather

You're grown now. Get the LS.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-24-08 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Debating between 05 TSX and 04 LS430