Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Debating between 05 TSX and 04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 01:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Suneet, I would advise against a manual. Its fun to drive around for the first few days, and its very cool on the internet, but in real life you'll get fed up with it after you spend a few hours in traffic. Also, a car with a manual is difficult to sell, because noone knows how to drive one. But if anything you should be able to get yourself a killer deal on a used car with a manual tranny, because sellers are usually desperate to sell them.
Old 06-25-08, 01:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

As far as RSX or Integra, these are cheaper, but they can become a money pit if you decide to start modifying them. And its hard to resist with all the crap available for them. I should know, I had god knows how much money dumped into my old Civic, probably at least 10K, if not more. With LS, theres nothing much to modify, so it saves you money
10K into your old civic No wonder it was not getting that great of gas mileage and close to your LS/GS A stock civic without high hp upgrades, heavy bodykits, bigger rims, or heavy soundsystems will get very good gas mileage and much better mileage then big v8 rwd lux cars. Once you add a bunch of weight and add a bunch of power you kill the gas mileage the car was originally tuned for.

Well LS's don't have much performance upgrades unless you want to buy some very expensive parts but a lot of people spend a good deal on soundsystems, rims, lowering it/body kits, paintjobs, and don't get me started on what I have heard some people spend on their GSs, I have had to hold back several times after looking at how nice some of them look modified and trying to squeeze out some more engine performance and sharpen up the floaty handling.
Old 06-25-08, 01:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Unless you are doing super high speed driving mainly on a track you don't need a hardcore sports car to enjoy and have fun with especially on public roads, you will never be able to exploit anywhere near the handling limits of a proper sports car on public roads especially in America but you can enjoy a curvy road in a sporty tight handling coupe or sedan like a TSX or 3 series. The TSX has plenty of grip and much more confidence inspiring then a floaty LS or my GS that leans way to much when I corner.
Don't base your opinion of the LS430 handling based on 2GS handling.... Lexus screwed this one up. My LS400 is far more confidence inspiring than my GS430, and my old GS300 was also much much better than my GS430. If you search through 2GS forum, you'll find some info, basically Lexus put a lose steering rack on the 2GS, and there's jack you can do about it. My only real complaint with the car, really, love everything else about it.

The fwd TSX will also be a much better and safer car in the wet Seattle climate and tires will last much longer on the less powerful car saving him money. In a area that gets a fair amount of snow there is no contest the TSX will be the safer better choice then a big rwd v8 lux car. The TSX is also smaller and has a tighter turning radius then a LS.
That depends more on the tires. My LS400 with allseason tires does better in rain and snow than my old Civic did with summer performance tires.

Either way you cut it the TSX is able to be quicker then the older 94LS even if you have to rev it higher and get a better launch and in your situation going from being used to v8 torque to the auto 4 cylinder, of course it will feel much slower but that does not mean it is "dog slow" compared to most cars out there, you still should have tried the 6 speed.
Dude, I'm not gonna start arguing or magazine racing, I'm just telling you what I felt with my *** when test driving a TSX. It was dog slow. It just doesnt pull at all until 4500 rpms. And if it is able to be faster than an older LS400, in order to achieve it you will have to drive it in such fashion that it will burn more gas than a V12, lol.
Old 06-25-08, 01:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

10K into your old civic No wonder it was not getting that great of gas mileage and close to your LS/GS A stock civic without high hp upgrades, heavy bodykits, bigger rims, or heavy soundsystems will get very good gas mileage and much better mileage then big v8 rwd lux cars. Once you add a bunch of weight and add a bunch of power you kill the gas mileage the car was originally tuned for.
Nah, I actually didnt have any exterior mods, besides a set of 15" rims. Most other mods were interior - corbeau seats, leather door panels, nice component audio system, not a heavy one at all, with a very small infinity basslink sub, some other minor stuff, and suspension - alsmost complete ITR suspension swap, less LSD, some other stuff, I dont even remember what anymore.

And Civics dont get that great of a mileage on a highway. Like I said, when you're doing 80 that four cylinder is working hard to keep up burning a lot of fuel, and any faster than that, and it becomes a guzzler. So yeah, if a 1.6 Civic averages roughly 30mpg on a highway and so does a V8 GS430, then GS430 is actually more economical because its twice as heavy, and if you put that engine into civics body, it would get closer to 40mpg, lol. Just go on a Honda board, and you will see how many Civic owner are not getting mileage they expect out of their cars.

Well LS's don't have much performance upgrades unless you want to buy some very expensive parts but a lot of people spend a good deal on soundsystems, rims, lowering it/body kits, paintjobs, and don't get me started on what I have heard some people spend on their GSs, I have had to hold back several times after looking at how nice some of them look modified and trying to squeeze out some more engine performance and sharpen up the floaty handling.
Thats why I dont bother with mods. Just get LS430 ultra edition, and you dont need to touch a thing, its already perfect, lol. The damn thing even has a fridge!
Old 06-25-08, 01:40 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So what do you think of this guy? High mileage. The add says it has the UL but the pictures look like it doesn't, so I'll have to investigate.

I bet I can bargain this guy down to 18-19.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/727008406.html
Old 06-25-08, 01:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Suneet
So what do you think of this guy? High mileage. The add says it has the UL but the pictures look like it doesn't, so I'll have to investigate.

Not a bad deal at all, if it really has the UL package, and clean history.
Old 06-25-08, 02:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If it checks out then spending 18K sounds much better then spending 24K especially when you were going to spend the same amount on a TSX but I am sure if you look hard enough you will find some TSX a good deal lower then 18K especially ones with higher mileage, both are very reliable cars so getting one with a little higher mileage should not mean all that much especially compared to say a German or American car. I still can't believe how low some of these 04 LS430's are especially one with the UL package (I think that is like a 10K option)and I would be a very suspicious why it is that low, I doubt gas prices are going to get them that low but maybe the market is much smaller then I thought for a LS430 a couple years old, that is horrible depreciation. 18K or 19K for one with NAV and UL package is very tempting and I may have change my position a little on the higher cost of ownership as that is a hell of alot of car for that money. Still I think in your position you would be better off spending 15K or lower but if you can get them down to 18 or 19 which I kind of doubt then that looks to be a smoking deal if it checks out.
Old 06-25-08, 03:09 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do us a favor and ask Jane from Acura of Seattle to see if they know what the former owner traded it in for. I will be extremely amused if its a TSX
Old 06-25-08, 04:09 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

That's a modern luxury Suneet, not UL.
I know some owners may be clueless or idiots but there are people who just outright lie
I confronted one (over the phone) and he knew about it...didn't bother to change his description.

When you approach the 100k mark, it's going to cost you around $1000 to do that major service, something to consider.

Edit: Didn't notice it's from an acura dealer before, so now they're misinforming the public since they are AWARE that a UL exists

Last edited by GS3Tek; 06-25-08 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 04:17 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I know some owners may be clueless or idiots but there are people who just outright lie
I confronted one (over the phone) and he knew about it...didn't bother to change his description.

When you approach the 100k mark, it's going to cost you around $1000 to do that major service, something to consider.

Edit: Didn't notice it's from an acura dealer before, so now they're misinforming the public since they are AWARE that a UL exists

What does the modern lux package give? I understood the ML package was as good as standard, almost every LS430 had it, except the ULs and the CLs, and a few "base" models that somehow made it here..
Old 06-25-08, 04:25 PM
GS3Tek

What does the modern lux package give? I understood the ML package was as good as standard, almost every LS430 had it, except the ULs and the CLs, and a few "base" models that somehow made it here..
Head on over the LS430 forum.
Here you go, scroll down to #26:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=331134&page=2
Old 06-25-08, 04:33 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

Use that as a bargaining point to drive the price down
Old 06-25-08, 04:36 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by leedogg
Use that as a bargaining point to drive the price down
Good point.

Actually, I might have to take it back since the front bumper may/may not show the dynamic laser cruise.
So it could be the custom luxury, still not the UL.
Old 06-25-08, 04:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Honestly, if I was buying LS430, I'd opt for UL.... Although its quite a bit more expensive, but it has everything, lol.

Did they make a long wheel base version of LS430 outside of USA? Thats the only thing that disappoints me about LS430, its so small in the back compared to my parent S500. I'm 6'4" and in the back seat of the S500 with no problems at all, theres excessive space.
Old 06-25-08, 11:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Honestly, if I was buying LS430, I'd opt for UL.... Although its quite a bit more expensive, but it has everything, lol.

Did they make a long wheel base version of LS430 outside of USA? Thats the only thing that disappoints me about LS430, its so small in the back compared to my parent S500. I'm 6'4" and in the back seat of the S500 with no problems at all, theres excessive space.
I've sat and ridden in Dave's Ultra LS 430 with the massage/power rear seats and I have room for days. I am 6 foot 5.

Lexus made a very spacious car though it kept nearly identical length to the first gen LS!!!