Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Debating between 05 TSX and 04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 03:43 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Debating between 05 TSX and 04 LS430

Apples and oranges.. two very different cars, but I've narrowed it down to these two.

I'm looking at a 2004 LS430 with about 48K miles, priced around $24K.

Also a 2005 TSX 6spd manual with 42K miles priced around $18K. Neither has nav (which is a plus for me, eventually I'll do a full audio build).

My 94 LS400 was totaled about a month ago, and I need a car. I LOVE the LS430.. the interior is just amazing. The combo of wood and leather is just perfect in this car, I'd even say I like the 430 interior better than the new LS460 interior.

My biggest concern is gas prices. What originally attracted me to the TSX is the size, great gas mileage, and the fun of driving a manual.

The TSX seems like the smarter choice. It gets better mileage, is smaller, but still a 4d and can seat 4-5 people (5 might be uncomfortable), and has a decent trunk. I was looking at a Civic earlier to be ultra-economical, but I really htink I'll miss things like leather seats, power seats, HIDs, etc. The TSX is kind of a compromise there, where I can still get a somewhat efficient car, but still enjoy SOME luxury, and get plenty of sportiness. Honda/Acura has great resale value, so even if I keep this car for 3 years, I think I can still get $10K back when I sell it.

With the LS430, the cost is a little higher, and the cost of gas will be pretty huge. I'm worried about driving such a large car. I'm also worried this car will have absolutely no resale value in 2-3 years when gas hits $7 a gallon.

I'm 23 and I live in downtown Seattle right now, I commute about 30 miles a day, with a decent amount of traffic. I'm also concerned that in 2 years I'll go to business school, and I may not need a car then, but this is up in the air as it depends on where I go to school.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Suneet; 06-23-08 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-23-08, 04:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

life is short, endulge and buy the ls. youll have plenty of time to regret decisions when you are dead
Old 06-23-08, 04:22 PM
LexFather

No brainer, LS. It doesn't even get that terrible gas mileage.

2005 Acura TSX

2004 Lexus LS 430

Use Your Gas Prices & Annual Miles

Switch to Metric units

2005 Acura TSX

2004 Lexus LS 430
Compare Side-by-Side

Estimated New EPA MPG

MPG ratings for 1985-2007 models have been revised More information.
TSX
Premium Gasoline
City

Combined

Hwy

LS 430

Premium Gasoline
City

Combined

Hwy

If you drive in the city, the TSX with an engine 1/2 the size gets a whopping 3 whole MPG more than the V-8 LS.

Its a shame a car as big as the LS only gets 4MPG less COMBINED than the TSX.

Your thoughts on resale are valid but the LS will simply have higher resale than the TSX as the MSRP was over double new.

Now this is no way to say the TSX is a bad car, its the exact opposite. Its a great lil car and everything you mentioned is on point.

However, I cannot give up my V-8 for a 4 MPG difference with a 4 cylinder. No way.

Old 06-23-08, 04:27 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for what its worth...

My wife drives and 07 TSX and I drive an 07 IS350 and I am getting better MPG then her??? We both drive the expressway so if you are looking for good MPG from the TSX I have been disappointed in that aspect of the car. Its a nice reliable car but the fact is my V6 is pushing better #'s then the Inline 4!

Get the LS IMO...
Old 06-23-08, 08:52 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The LS could have significantly higher insurance premiums.. might be something to consider as well. I'm leaning towards lighter/smaller vehicles lately. Got a great offer on my MDX, and I don't need it anymore (Went from a 60 mile round trip commute every day down to taking the bus downtown Seattle). Now I"m thinking of just picking up something like the new Toyota Matrix, 0% financing, etc.

So out of your 2 i'd lean toward the TSX.
Old 06-23-08, 09:21 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TSX does seem like the sensible option, but one thing you didn't address is how you felt driving the LS400. That's a boat, too, so if you got used to maneuvering and parking it then the LS430 shouldn't be too much of an adjustment. In fact, you may find that you got really used to all that space and the TSX makes you feel claustrophobic.

Couldn't you get a brand-new TSX (especially any leftover 08's at fire sale prices) for just a little more than the price of that LS? Maybe that would tip the scale...
Old 06-23-08, 09:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Two totally different types of cars. TSX is a entry level sports/lux sedan where a LS is a big soft riding lux sedan. 24K for a 04LS430 with under 50K miles seems really low, I might be a little suspicious of it being that low but if everything checks out that sounds like a fantastic deal.

TSX is sporty and much more of a drivers car, it is smaller, lighter, fun to drive, offers more feedback, nimbler, gets much better gas mileage and will be less expensive to own. TSX has a much younger youthful image. If you are getting the 6 speed manual it is one of the slickest shifting gearboxes available.

LS is a much larger softer luxury car that has more luxury features and a ride geared much more toward cruising and comfort and is not sporty in the least and will get much worse gas mileage then the TSX but you do get a torquey v8 and a much bigger car then the TSX. LS are generally owned by much older people.

Since your only 23 a LS seems like an odd car to own and drive at your age. I doubt you need all that extra room nor would prefer its soft cushy ride over something sporty and nimble. When I was 23 I would have preferred a sporty/lux sedan like a TSX over a LS but now that I am older and I take several long trips a year where I load up my car with many things I might prefer the extra room of the LS over something fairly small. The LS for your age would most likely cost much more to insure since it is a large expensive rwd v8 sedan compared to a 4 cylinder TSX. With gas prices today I would also lean much more to the TSX which will get much better fuel economy. Unless you really need all the extra room or feel its important to tell people you own a Lexus LS I would go with the TSX. 23 is just too young for a big car like a LS which is aimed at much older drivers who want a soft cushy comfortable ride and big proportions. Being younger you are more likely to expose the car to abuse and get into accidents and it will be easier on your wallet to repair a TSX. If you want a Lexus then I would look to a used IS300 but being that it is sporty and rwd it may be a good deal more expensive to insure then a TSX.
Old 06-23-08, 09:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lets put it this way, when I sold my old 94 GS300, I test drove the TSX and it didnt impress me... The GS was faster, more comfortable, quieter, etc. Now, your previous car is a first gen LS400, which is defenately a step up compared to a first gen GS, so TSX should be even less impressive to you. I'd say just get the LS430, its a much much superior car to the TSX, not even a comparison.

And if your concern is fuel mileage, I suggest going on youtube and watching top gear season 11, episode 1. I know these guys are silly but they made a good point - its not what you drive, but how you drive. They drove a Toyota Prius around the track as fast as they could, and had a new BMW M3 follow the Prius right on its tail. And guess what, M3 got a better mileage. With a 4 banged, you're most likely to drive it harder, especially coming from your previous car being a V8, so you might get a poor fuel mileage regardless.
Old 06-24-08, 09:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
eventually I'll do a full audio build ...

My biggest concern is gas prices. ...
Consistency check: fail...

The two cars are so profoundly different, you have to figure out what you really want to DRIVE every day. The cushy, floaty, quiet, larger, library of a car. Or the stiffer, sporty, smaller, entry lux car.
Old 06-24-08, 10:13 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If fuel price is at all a concern don't get the V8. My GS430 was quite
thirsty and did much worse than the EPA rating in the city.
Old 06-24-08, 10:17 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why even bother, get the LS, you won't regret.
I am biased though.
Old 06-24-08, 10:29 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

for me i would look at these points. Do you more city or highway driving? Is space limited? Whats your priority, comfort or sport?

Personally if i had the money i would get the LS. If you can afford it completely(including timing belts and stuff) then i would just get the comfy LS. LS resale value has dipped dramatically the past two years though...

Just get the LS if you have the money. A TSX is really just a slick accord.
Old 06-24-08, 10:49 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest you widen your search to other cars...

IMO, as a 23 yr old the LS doesn't really have the driving dynamics you'd want but the TSX is a bit disappointing for 18K (I think there are better buys for 18K)

Also unless you are going to keep the car forever, you'll get hurt on resale values with a big v8 sedan

Examples
1) 2006 bmw 325i with stick (19-20K or less) - new body style, engine, should still be under warranty
2) Mazda 3 - pocket the money, get a stick
3) VW GTI - just for fun
Old 06-24-08, 12:13 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

upon further review of FUELECONOMY.GOV

for the TSX, 18 owners reported an average of 27.43 MPG (from years 2005-2007)

for the 2004 LS430, 5 people averaged 18.1 MPG (05, 06 only had 1 person reporting MPG)
Old 06-24-08, 12:24 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has a '04 TSX and I have a '99 LS. I'm in his car all the time and while it seems like a fun car, I'd much rather be in an LS while commuting. The TSX has a tight suspension and you'll feel everything, especially if you drive through a city vs driving on an interstate.

The LS will also be much quieter and obviously not as buzzy as the TSX. With an engine like that, you'd have to drive it like you hate it to get it moving... and while it's a 4 banger, your mileage won't be that great. You'll only get the good mileage if you baby it.

Driving both with a soft foot - the TSX will be pathetically slow compared with the LS.

I get over 20mpg in my LS commuting 20 miles each way in stop & go traffic - I don't really have to mash the throttle to get it going, and I think that helps. Although I do have to say I certainly don't drive like an old lady - I floor it quite often and am not afraid to open it up.

Of course cost of ownership is more than gas mileage - like mentioned before insurance premiums is a big factor. Both cars are pretty reliable, but when something does go wrong, I bet the LS will cost more to repair - or even maintain for that matter.

Good luck.......

Quick Reply: Debating between 05 TSX and 04 LS430