Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Audi Is Going to Beat Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 04:44 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi isn't going ANYWHERE until they get better weight distribution and rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive on lower models. Having the engine sit in FRONT of the front axle is pure engineering laziness.

The R8 goes a long way to accomplishing this goal but the RS4 argument is bunk. Who cares if you have 1/300 cars when it isn't as good as the other car they cite in the article, the M3.
Old 06-26-08, 06:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Sadly in this day, having money to bribe people does make you somebody.
I don't think it makes you a "somebody" or "someone". It makes you a douchbag and a tool or someone shady with more money then sense. I have a very low opinion of people who use money to bribe people or get something done their way and they do not impress me at all even if they get a materialistic thing before someone else or are one of the few people who have it because they threw a bunch of money at something or kissed a lot of a**.

I remember a guy at a party who was the biggest corporate tool I ever met was bragging about his brand new blue E46 M3 that he got and saying how he paid a $5500 markup to get it and how he is one of only 3 people in Wilmington who has one now. He is the super annoying guy who is always repeating douchbag slogans like "you gotta pay to play" or "you gotta work hard to play hard". I said do you really think that is impressing anybody except for maybe a few shallow gold digging girls that are only impressed by status and material things and would actually be impressed by some idiot who pays thousands of dollars over MSRP just to brag about his car to others. He shut up quick especially after everyone joined me and was laughing at him and saying how much of a tool he was and could not believe he actually paid thousands over MSRP when you should not even pay MSRP when you buy a car and if you did it just means you got screwed over when you paid MSRP or even worse a markup. He just gave his money to someone else because unfortunately the car salesman knows there are idiots who will gladly pay markups on cars and actually brag about it like they are "big shots" or "somebody" for doing so and wasting their money and making someone else a bunch of money and it makes everyone else have to pay higher prices for cars, especially sports cars. It is ashame that nice cars are so often bought and driven by some of the biggest douchbags and it ruins the image, look at many of the drivers of Porsche 911's and you will see my point. The thing was the guy did not even make that much money and a new M3 was way out of his price range, I heard he got fired a few months later for dishonest business practices and trying to steal from the company and he had to get rid of the M3 because he could not pay for it.

One of the things I kind of like about Audi is that it is a upmarket German make that has some very nice cars yet is generally not blindly bought in America just because of the badge or so called "prestige" but mainly bought on the merits of the cars unlike many who buy way overpriced BMW's and Mercedes in droves just because of the badge and not because of the actual car and what it offers. I really hope Audi does not get rid of the R8 and continues updating that excellent car.
Old 06-26-08, 06:44 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think it makes you a "somebody" or "someone". It makes you a douchbag and a tool or someone shady with more money then sense. I have a very low opinion of people who use money to bribe people or get something done their way and they do not impress me at all even if they get a materialistic thing before someone else or are one of the few people who have it because they threw a bunch of money at something or kissed a lot of a**.

I remember a guy at a party who was the biggest corporate tool I ever met was bragging about his brand new blue E46 M3 that he got and saying how he paid a $5500 markup to get it and how he is one of only 3 people in Wilmington who has one now. He is the super annoying guy who is always repeating douchbag slogans like "you gotta pay to play" or "you gotta work hard to play hard". I said do you really think that is impressing anybody except for maybe a few shallow gold digging girls that are only impressed by status and material things and would actually be impressed by some idiot who pays thousands of dollars over MSRP just to brag about his car to others. He shut up quick especially after everyone joined me and was laughing at him and saying how much of a tool he was and could not believe he actually paid thousands over MSRP when you should not even pay MSRP when you buy a car and if you did it just means you got screwed over when you paid MSRP or even worse a markup. He just gave his money to someone else because unfortunately the car salesman knows there are idiots who will gladly pay markups on cars and actually brag about it like they are "big shots" or "somebody" for doing so and wasting their money and making someone else a bunch of money and it makes everyone else have to pay higher prices for cars, especially sports cars. It is ashame that nice cars are so often bought and driven by some of the biggest douchbags and it ruins the image, look at many of the drivers of Porsche 911's and you will see my point. The thing was the guy did not even make that much money and a new M3 was way out of his price range, I heard he got fired a few months later for dishonest business practices and trying to steal from the company and he had to get rid of the M3 because he could not pay for it.

One of the things I kind of like about Audi is that it is a upmarket German make that has some very nice cars yet is generally not blindly bought in America just because of the badge or so called "prestige" but mainly bought on the merits of the cars unlike many who buy way overpriced BMW's and Mercedes in droves just because of the badge and not because of the actual car and what it offers. I really hope Audi does not get rid of the R8 and continues updating that excellent car.
What I meant was that most people can be bought out. It doesn't really make you "somebody" in my book that takes more than just flashing cash but most people have a price.
Old 06-26-08, 07:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One other note on Audis, although I know that not everyone may share this view: IMO they need to dump the awful MMI system and go back to more conventional dash controls.
I had a loaded Q7 loaner for 7 days and it took all of 2 days to get used to it; I thought it was crap initially, but ended up liking it.

ps - only reason I accepted the Q7 (versus the A4) as a loaner was I got a free tank of gas out it.
Old 06-26-08, 08:20 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

One of the things I kind of like about Audi is that it is a upmarket German make that has some very nice cars yet is generally not blindly bought in America just because of the badge or so called "prestige" but mainly bought on the merits of the cars unlike many who buy way overpriced BMW's and Mercedes in droves just because of the badge and not because of the actual car and what it offers.
Nicely said...

One of the things I kind of like about [Acura] is that it is an upmarket [Japanese] make that has some very nice cars yet is generally not blindly bought in America just because of the badge or so called "prestige" but mainly bought on the merits of the cars unlike many who buy way overpriced [Lexuses and Infinitis] in droves just because of the badge and not because of the actual car and what it offers.
Old 06-26-08, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I had a loaded Q7 loaner for 7 days and it took all of 2 days to get used to it; I thought it was crap initially, but ended up liking it.

ps - only reason I accepted the Q7 (versus the A4) as a loaner was I got a free tank of gas out it.
Q7 as a loaner? That's a lot of vehicle.

If you can adjust to MMIs and I-Drives, fine. More power to you. I've driven a number of new BMW's and Audis (note my reviews)..... but haven't found an MMI or I-Drive yet I could stand.
Old 06-26-08, 08:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I-drive is just terrible.
Old 06-26-08, 09:08 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

Audis aren't exactly cheap to buy so I'm not sure where you're getting "overpriced" when compared to Mercedes and especially BMW.
Old 06-27-08, 01:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FSUJBP
Audis aren't exactly cheap to buy so I'm not sure where you're getting "overpriced" when compared to Mercedes and especially BMW.
This is correct. For the most part Audis are much cheaper than BMW or BENZ, especially with base MSRP.

Audi's thing is they rarely succumb to bargain basement lease rates that the others do, mainly BMW. It also doesn't help their managment team is utterly CLUELESS and their dealers are just awful to deal with and hell, be in.

I love Audi's lineup and I do love the fact not every tom, **** and jane has one. I fully expect Porsche to fix that and I predicted they will sell more than Infiniti here in upcoming years.

Originally Posted by Iceman
Nicely said...

One of the things I kind of like about [Acura] is that it is an upmarket [Japanese] make that has some very nice cars yet is generally not blindly bought in America just because of the badge or so called "prestige" but mainly bought on the merits of the cars unlike many who buy way overpriced [Lexuses and Infinitis] in droves just because of the badge and not because of the actual car and what it offers.
Dude, Acuras are bought by tons of blinded people but clearly not b/c of prestige but for value. I think Infiniti has the toughest fight getting buyers, thus their Kia low lease rates. I won't challenged people buy Lexus b/c of the badge only, clearly some do. However, we cannot fault Lexus/Acura/BMW etc for people buying a badge "just because". Clearly people are confident enough to trust the brand for whatever reason.

Audi is clearly bought b/c of its merits, they I think barely broke 100k cars for the first time here last year. The brand is just fantastic inside and out and they drive well.

Old 06-27-08, 03:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Audi's thing is they rarely succumb to bargain basement lease rates that the others do, mainly BMW.
$299/mo lease sign & drive right now on the outgoing A4 ("special edition"...xenon, premium pkg, leather etc)

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Q7 as a loaner? That's a lot of vehicle.

If you can adjust to MMIs and I-Drives, fine. More power to you. I've driven a number of new BMW's and Audis (note my reviews)..... but haven't found an MMI or I-Drive yet I could stand.
$60+k MSRP - sticker was in the glove box....yep I guess nobody is buying them so they use them as loaners....and nobody wants to drive them as loaners...gas hogs...I don't understand why people LIKE to drive these huge boats.

as far as the MMI - a test drive is not good enough.....it does takes some getting used to which is not good to have to learn something in a moving vehicle, but as sort of a techno nerd I thought everything it did was pretty awesome and very intuitive (I never had to read the manual -- there wasn't one anyway!).

Last edited by bagwell; 06-27-08 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 05:34 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree with the spouting off, but if you have the cash to burn then why not. Unfortunately or on the other spectrum the wolrd revolves around money.
Old 06-27-08, 09:19 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So Audi sells cars on Merit and people buy BMW's and Mercedes because of the Badge?

In my opinion Audi's "super cars" are way overpriced compared to the competition..look at the price of a new M3 or C63 compared to a Rs4 and both the BMW and Mercedes kill the car in performance and are both roughly $4,000- $8000 less fully loaded! (I can't believe a fully loaded Rs4 is $78,000) The R6 is a joke compared to the Bmw550 and Benz550. Performance wise it is only 0.3 seconds quicker while starting at $12,000 more for the base model

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?...1&_x=1#/page2/

And here is a nice comparison between the Audi RS6 vs the C63 Wagon..the C63 had roughly the same performance but compare the costs of each car the Benz would cost you $82,899 while the Audi would cost you $122,331 and it isn't even quicker!

Also, If I was spending over $100,000 on a car and the choice was between the S550 or the S8, I would definitely take the Benz in a heartbeat! And there is a reason that I have only seen two total Audi S8's in Southern California while I see maybe 15-25 S550's each and everyday.

So Audi has a long to go to compare with BMW and Mercedes Benz's

Last edited by MrBruin09; 06-27-08 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 10:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I don't agree with the spouting off, but if you have the cash to burn then why not. Unfortunately or on the other spectrum the wolrd revolves around money.
Even if you have alot of money you should still be smart with it. Just because you have alot of money does not automatically mean you should have this money is no object attitude and just waste it and give it to a bunch of people ripping you off because you can. There are alot of people especially celebrities and sports figures who had a bunch of money yet did not have a clue how to budget themselves and had that same attitude that I have it so why no flaunt and paid huge markups or or really expensive cars, houses, boats, jewelry, because they could and threw ridiculously expensive parties, left giant tips to impress everyone, had super expensive vacations, and guess what they got in over their head because they were not smart with their money and wasted it and now they have nothing and have to spend the rest of their life paying off things they don't even own anymore. There is nothing more pathetic then someone who has made and come into millions of dollars yet wastes it because they think they can and don't budget themselves and end up losing it all.

Even if I had millions of dollars or had a very high paying job I still would not waste it and just give it to other greedy people through paying markups on cars, boats, paying way over market value on houses, etc. I will own nice things but I am not going to pay more then I should and I will still try to find the best deal on them even if I may have the means to pay full price or a markup. It is not being cheap, it is being smart and sensible with your money.
Old 06-27-08, 10:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
Nicely said...

I agree, I like Acuras too because they make fantastic cars and because they are not overpriced and offer alot of car for the money and sell more on the actual car and much less to just badge and prestige buyers. I am not saying I don't like cars from other luxury makes but I feel many of them are way overpriced because they now people will pay extra for the badge and name instead of the actual car.

I don't really think people buy Infiniti cars based on badge or prestige as the Infiniti name really has never commanded high premiums or much respect and Infinitis never really sold well until the last few years from mainly an entry level car the G35 and the FX SUV. Acura has alwasy sold well and generally has always had a much higher image and better badge then poor selling Infinitis, even though Infiniti always had powerful rwd v8 sedans they sold horribly, worse then pretty much any car in its class but the recent M has sold pretty well for them but that is based on the actual car, price, and positive reviews then badge. Although some people do buy Lexus cars based on badge and prestige instead of the actual car and more so then Acuras and Infinitis it is nowhere near the amount who pay much more for more expensive and much more unreliable BMW and Mercedes just to have the badge. Lexus buyers still choose Lexus cars mainly based on reliability, lower price then European competition, the actual car and what it offers, dealership experience, ratings, then for badge or prestige.
Old 06-27-08, 11:07 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even if you have alot of money you should still be smart with it. Just because you have alot of money does not automatically mean you should have this money is no object attitude and just waste it and give it to a bunch of people ripping you off because you can. There are alot of people especially celebrities and sports figures who had a bunch of money yet did not have a clue how to budget themselves and had that same attitude that I have it so why no flaunt and paid huge markups or or really expensive cars, houses, boats, jewelry, because they could and threw ridiculously expensive parties, left giant tips to impress everyone, had super expensive vacations, and guess what they got in over their head because they were not smart with their money and wasted it and now they have nothing and have to spend the rest of their life paying off things they don't even own anymore. There is nothing more pathetic then someone who has made and come into millions of dollars yet wastes it because they think they can and don't budget themselves and end up losing it all.

Even if I had millions of dollars or had a very high paying job I still would not waste it and just give it to other greedy people through paying markups on cars, boats, paying way over market value on houses, etc. I will own nice things but I am not going to pay more then I should and I will still try to find the best deal on them even if I may have the means to pay full price or a markup. It is not being cheap, it is being smart and sensible with your money.
I agree completely! I would rather just wait 6 months or even 1 year later and get the same car instead of being the first person on the block and paying a premium for it!

Quick Reply: Why Audi Is Going to Beat Mercedes