Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Audi Is Going to Beat Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 11:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
So Audi sells cars on Merit and people buy BMW's and Mercedes because of the Badge?

In my opinion Audi's "super cars" are way overpriced compared to the competition..look at the price of a new M3 or C63 compared to a Rs4 and both the BMW and Mercedes kill the car in performance and are both roughly $4,000- $8000 less fully loaded! (I can't believe a fully loaded Rs4 is $78,000) The R6 is a joke compared to the Bmw550 and Benz550. Performance wise it is only 0.3 seconds quicker while starting at $12,000 more for the base model

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?...1&_x=1#/page2/

Also, If I was spending over $100,000 on a car and the choice was between the S550 or the S8, I would definitely take the Benz in a heartbeat! And there is a reason that I have only seen two total Audi S8's in Southern California while I see maybe 15-25 S550's each and everyday.

So Audi has a long to go to compare with BMW and Mercedes Benz's
Of course Mercedes and BMW sell much more cars in America based on badge then Audi. Many Audi cars like the A4, A6, A8, are very comparable and offer the same options to competing and more expensive BMW and Mercedes models yet the Audi's sell poorly compared to them. More expensive BMW and Mercedes models are not offering anything much over Audi counterparts aside from the BMW being more driver oriented for them to outsell them so much so yes the badge means alot. I am not saying all BMW and Merc buyers buy on badge and they do make some nice cars but most of the people buying them are paying and buying for the badge and not the actual car. They would not even consider buying a lesser priced less prestigious brand or car because they want that Mercedes or BMW badge.

I do agree the high performance Audi RS models are way overpriced and that is another reason they don't sell well but they only make up a small portion of Audi models and sales. The R8 costs is a bit more then I think it should, I thought and was hoping it would be priced in the high 80's or low 90's but it is still a fantastic car.

The reason you have seen few S8 or A8 for that matter is Audi does not really have the badge and image to sell those fantastic cars in high numbers even though the A8 is much less then the S class. I feel the A8 was superior then the last S class and the main reason the S class so much better was mainly because of the Mercedes name and not because the last more expensive S class was such a nicer car. The S class just has such a highly respected name and history that they will continue to sell in high numbers even though they command a near 100K price tag.