Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

License Plates in Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 06:33 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default License Plates in Pictures

Another weird observation I have to ask about...

I notice that a lot (possibly a majority) of people distort or block out their license plates when posting pictures.

Why is that? I mean what is the particular danger? It seems like since anyone who sees you driving can take down your plate number, it's hardly a private kind of thing. And it just seems like if license plate info was routinely used for nefarious purposes, whatever that danger is would be far greater from people who get the tag number from seeing the car personally/locally than those seeing it on the Internet.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-26-08, 06:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A license plate number and a friend who is a cop can get your address and give it to some nut out there.
There's plenty of weirdos out there and some post on forums too.
Less info about yourself,the better.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-26-08 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 06:59 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A license plate number and a friend who is a cop can get your address to some nut out there.
Well, I guess I can't deny the logic that (a) plate numbers CAN be used, so (b) less opportunity to see the number means (c) lower chance of the threat of that use.

It's just if I try to imagine that I'm a crook and what I might do with some random plate number off of a forum, I can't see the benefit to getting the number online (which might be thousands of miles away) versus doing whatever I'm doing locally.

I guess scams and cheats evolve so well that the average non-criminal person doesn't necessarily see the forest right away.
Old 06-26-08, 07:04 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A license plate number and a friend who is a cop can get your address and give it to some nut out there.
you dont have to be a cop to do this. i forget the site, hell i believe you can even go to your local dmv for a fee and find out all the info related to a certain plate.
Old 06-26-08, 07:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
you dont have to be a cop to do this. i forget the site, hell i believe you can even go to your local dmv for a fee and find out all the info related to a certain plate.
Interesting.

I've posted my cars online with and with my plates exposed a few times.
I try not to but sometimes I do.
I still believe the less info about yourself on a public forum,the better off you may be.
Old 06-26-08, 07:47 AM
drpepper
Instructor

DL info (with name, city and state) is available online

Put your own name in and see.
Old 06-26-08, 07:50 AM
Sash
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drpepper

lmao
Old 06-26-08, 08:42 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL at the stupid link, oldie but goodie,

I am 100% convinced that my old car was broken into x3 and with everything stolen was the result of my postings of my car/mods online when I was living in La Jolla

There will be posts like "where do you all hide your wheel locks?" "where can we put all the electronics" "I've seen your car before, where do you live"

innocent posts like that results in our blunt replies telling the potential thieves of our cars, my car was stripped clean without a single wires cut, they knew exactly where everything was.

posting your car pic with a license plate is extremely dangerous, I can go down to DMV and get all your personal info from it.
Old 06-26-08, 09:30 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

If anyone wants my address they can have it, it is a PO box in SC. I had a PO box in NY since 1985 and the first thing I did when I moved to SC was get a SC PO box. You still can be tracked down but a PO box makes it a lot harder and more trouble than most crooks are willing to bother with. They do not cost much but are worth their weight in gold if you are worried about security
Old 06-26-08, 12:51 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep you can do that at local DMV.
Old 06-26-08, 08:15 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

So? A crook can do whatever they want if they put their mind to it. Am I making their job easier by putting my license plate number on a (let's face it) obscure website? Not a chance.

The other argument I've heard here is that people don't want to post their plate number along with their list of mods because suddenly there will be this nationwide rush to "jack" their ride. Get a life. No one wants your 22" spinners, CAI/headers/exhaust that add 200hp, limo tint, clear corner, "Brembro" brake obscenity of a car. It's LDS expanded from those who can see you in person (who laugh at your pathetic attempts to compensate for lack of something) to a slightly wider internet audience.
Old 06-26-08, 09:19 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have known several members who have had their cars either broken into or stolen thru license plate tracking. Let's face it, we are proud of our cars and the mods that we put into them. By posting the plates as well as a location city, you are pretty much advertising that your car is NOT the AVERAGE LEXUS. Sometimes, the cars are stolen for parts to re-sell on ebay, craigslist, etc. Sometimes, the thief just wants to ride around in a "hot" car and show off all of the stuff that "HIS" car has. Honestly, if a thief wants to get it, they will. Most people block their plates in an effort to minimize the potential of "advertisement".
Old 06-26-08, 10:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

cant they get your plate number while behind you in traffic ?
Old 06-26-08, 11:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
I have known several members who have had their cars either broken into or stolen thru license plate tracking. Let's face it, we are proud of our cars and the mods that we put into them. By posting the plates as well as a location city, you are pretty much advertising that your car is NOT the AVERAGE LEXUS. Sometimes, the cars are stolen for parts to re-sell on ebay, craigslist, etc. Sometimes, the thief just wants to ride around in a "hot" car and show off all of the stuff that "HIS" car has. Honestly, if a thief wants to get it, they will. Most people block their plates in an effort to minimize the potential of "advertisement".
True, but when people advertise their mod list esp. on their signatures and such here on CL...you're doing the exact same thing if not more, sadly.
Old 06-26-08, 11:33 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drpepper

How does it know I'm 120lbs!? Now I'm scared.

I didn't really care about my plate as I don't have much mods anyways, and if they want your car, you can't really stop them.

Quick Reply: License Plates in Pictures