Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Talk me out of this 03 Cobra ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08 | 07:40 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Default Talk me out of this 03 Cobra ...

One of my buddies who is into domestic muscle cars found me a 03 Cobra for a really good deal. I have been trying to sell my car for awhile but between working alot and leaving town most weekends it has not sold.

So lets talk pro's:
6sp manual
4.6 v8 supercharged
modded to 550 hp
only 15k out of my pocket

Con's:
Gas mileage worse than a SC400 (owch)
Crappy Mustang Interior
Insurance 4x more expensive than SC4

What do you guys think?
Old 06-26-08 | 07:56 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Sounds sweet but going from a Lexus to a Ford, I think it will be hard for you to get used to not having the reliability. I don't know a lot about Mustangs, but we currently own 5 Ford trucks and SUVs. The motor I wouldn't worry about the engine because the 4.6 is a very stout motor, as long as the mods don't comprise the engine's life. But from my experience with our Ford trucks, most problems have been electrical bugs. Sounds like a fun car, I wouldn't mind buying one but I would not give up my Lexus for it. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 06-26-08 | 08:30 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Are you seriously considering driving a modified Mustang as your daily driver? Not saying that it isn't feasible, but imo I think that it wouldn't be a good idea. I'm guessing you're young. (<25 years)

You can only guess what happens when someone sees a young guy in a fast car. They starting revving and next thing you know you're doing 110 in a 45. Basically the car is a magnetic for people who want to have a street race.

Besides that point, there's gas mileage, potential reliability issues with a modified car, and high insurance premiums to consider.

BUT if it's something that you really want then buy it. You can always sell it if you don't like it. Have you driven it?
Old 06-26-08 | 09:45 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

get it!!! those are awesome!! you can be cruisin in a daily driving monster my friend.. those are just sweet!!!
Old 06-26-08 | 10:16 PM
sleeper408

modded to 550hp huh? I wouldn't buy a modded Cobra simply because there is a pretty good chance the owner abused it. I hope it won't be your DD because you will hate the MPG it gets. You'll probably get 13/14 MPG mixed at best at the power levels it's making. I had an 01' Cobra with a few mods and 4.10 gears and the best I could ever get was around 17 MPG. I tried to stay off the gas since it was my daily driver and wanted to save gas. Then I thought to myself, why the hell did I buy this car to drive like a grandma?? So I sold the Cobra, got the GS and I never looked back.

You can do some research here: www.svtperformance.com and read up on "Terminators" aka 03' and 04' Cobras.
Old 06-27-08 | 07:01 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replys. You guys are not doing a good job convince me not to buy it. I am 23 years old so yeah there is a possibility I will not keep it under the speed limit but I do have some self control. As for the electrical and other misc stuff going bad, I am thinking I will probably only own it for like 3 years. I have never kept a car longer than that so I doubt thats gonna change anytime soon. Mpg at 14 average.... it might be another 20 or 30 dollars per month more but I am thinking you cant make that kind of power and expect good gas mileage. You gotta pay to play so to speak ... sleeper408, I imagine you bought your cobra because it was fun to drive? how do you cope with the fact that your lexus might be quick but its not really fast. I not had a sports car for almost 4 years and its killing me ... btw, thanks for the link
Old 06-27-08 | 07:12 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

O man If I were you I'd ****** the car up in a heartbeat ... I just got raped by one of those last Friday at the track, that car is a beast !! As for daily driver, get a shnitty little Civic or something and keep the Cobra for the weekends ... Or if you don't mind daily driving the Cobra, GO FOR IT !!
Old 06-27-08 | 07:57 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Default You asked for it!

One word:

Gas prices
Old 06-27-08 | 08:16 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
One word:

Gas prices
My 430 is almost getting as bad gas mielage as the Cobra, I'm averaging 14 -15 mpg in the city and that's driving conservatively ... So to the OP, if you don't pick up a Cobra, get a GS430

Cobra=More HP, Tighter Suspension, No reliability
GS430=Enough HP to satisfy the need for speed, Soft cushy ride, Great Reliability
Old 06-27-08 | 09:45 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Talk you out of it? Easy.... no matter how much horsepower it has, it's still a Ford, and it WILL become a rattletrap.

It's already been said - but dayum.... that interior sux big time.
Old 06-27-08 | 10:15 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Ever drove one of those mustangs? The shifter is in an extremely awkward position. Those cars have to be some of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever driven; the seats are atrocious. The gauges are super tiny and hard to read and the interior looks like absolute crap and rattles like bolts and nuts you toss in a Folgers can.

Needless to say, I would never consider one as a daily driver, only a track car; and there's a LOT of cars I'd choose over it.
Old 06-27-08 | 10:42 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

i say do it !! those cars are bad ****** !!! just imagine sriving doun the road at 50 or 60 and punching the throttle listen to that supercharger whine while the rear getting sideways !! man i love that car
Old 06-27-08 | 11:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

a buddy had an 03 Cobra...wasn't impressed...here's my take....

1.exterior styling is total blah compared to the new gen
2.as stated above....interior sucks
3.stripped base Mustangs can be bought for nothing...I'd rather get a used vette which is leaps and bounds ahead of any mustang + a LOT better MPG.
Old 06-27-08 | 11:41 AM
Lux
Driver School Candidate

Go for it! If you are a car enthusiast you'll apprishiate the "mechanical" connection between car and the driver. Even new Mustangs (2005 +) all "computerized", soft and heavy.
Old 06-27-08 | 02:25 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
Thanks for the replys. Mpg at 14 average.... it might be another 20 or 30 dollars per month more but I am thinking you cant make that kind of power and expect good gas mileage. You gotta pay to play so to speak ... sleeper408, I imagine you bought your cobra because it was fun to drive? how do you cope with the fact that your lexus might be quick but its not really fast.
If you buy the Cobra as a DD... I guarantee you the first month you will fill up at least 3 days a week because you will always be at WOT. I only averaged 16/17 MPG after I calmed down with my lead foot. Oh yeah... my car had many squeaks (bushings) and rattles (interior) and I had a leaking rear diff. and tranny. The car seemed to burn a bit of oil too. Some other quibbles are with the independent rear suspension.... WHEEL HOP is frustrating and a potential problem. Maybe Cobra owners have to bail out of launches because of wheel hop. You could possibly ruin your IRS. Many high HP Cobras actually switch to the GT's solid rear axle for drag racing. Because of the IRS, the exhaust is very low. It goes under the axle instead of over like the v6/GT Mustang. I always bottomed out everywhere I went. I had some many scrapes and dents on my full stainless steel exhaust. I packed 3 others in my car one time and dented my exhaust very bad on a large freeway. It actually cracked it. Also, anyone taller than 5'6" will have an uncomfortable time in the Cobra. The seat belts lose it retraction function and gets easily twisted. There is always a loud power steering noise when turning. You can adjust the seats forward/backward via power. But you have to recline it manually. Just little stuff about the car started to get to me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the car, but the upkeep required to keep it as a DD was too much for me.

Since I made the switch over to the GS, I've been very happy. I decided when I sold the Cobra that my speeding days were over. Here in the Bay Area, traffic gets worse and worse every year. There was no room to "play" in my Cobra anymore. Now I just cruise in my GS400. It's not as fast and I do miss the manual transmission sometimes, but when I hit bumper-to-bumper traffic, I am so glad I can sit back and just relax. The car is so comfortable even in 45 minutes of traffic it makes it bearable. I used to have a very stiff Stage 2 clutch in the Cobra (stock is kind of stiff too). I'm older now (25) and the GS is perfect for my everyday needs. It's stylish, luxurious, comfortable, decent MPG (24 mixed), and has ample power (300hp/300tq). I shuttle my nephews around a lot now and can't imagine doing that comfortably in the Cobra. Plus they love the rear vents for A/C. Especially if a Camaro SS pulls up next to me and revs at me. The unwanted attention (call outs) would just flat out annoy me now. So in my particular case, that is why I am very happy with the GS (Except the steering wheel vibration).

The ultimate decision is yours though.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of this 03 Cobra ...