Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is the 545/550 resale so...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 12:40 AM
LexFather

Lightbulb Why is the 545/550 resale so...

Has anyone checked these babies out at Autotrader? I can't believe the prices, very affordable!! There are tons in the mid 20k-35k range!! 2006 550s are priced in the same range as GS 430s and their MSRP was at least 8k higher.

What am I missing here?

I saw a couple 5 sports tonight with the "M" sport kit and I have to say the car is growing on me (again, I'm on and off with it). I also like the fact not every ***-hat in Atlanta has one on some crap rims.

Doug, where are you?

Old 06-27-08, 12:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

didn't i say mb and bmw have unrealistic residuals?
Old 06-27-08, 12:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
didn't i say mb and bmw have unrealistic residuals?
I dont' understand it......I just know it makes a used V-8 5 very attractive Suddenly I like Aunt Edna's glasses!!!

Old 06-27-08, 01:00 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always heard and thought the E60s were rated pretty poorly overall (in many different aspects) so perhaps that has something to do with it? You are right though, the low resale values are something I've noticed a lot in the past when looking at them just for the hell of it.

Last edited by 92 SC400; 06-27-08 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 01:04 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I am looking for a 550 or E55 AMG and noticed those prices as well. But, some of those are scams. The usual ,"I am located overseas with my unit and the car is here but we can arrange the money to be sent to an escrow.........". Scum!

Seen a few 545s around here for under 20k. Not bad though they are not really quick. The 550 would be better suited to my needs though I am leaning towards the AMG.

Seems many cars have dropped in value as people hold onto their money for further down turns in the economy.
Old 06-27-08, 01:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I am looking for a 550 or E55 AMG and noticed those prices as well. But, some of those are scams. The usual ,"I am located overseas with my unit and the car is here but we can arrange the money to be sent to an escrow.........". Scum!

Seen a few 545s around here for under 20k. Not bad though they are not really quick. The 550 would be better suited to my needs though I am leaning towards the AMG.

Seems many cars have dropped in value as people hold onto their money for further down turns in the economy.

My issue is if I EVER got a BMW, well the stereotype of BMW owners are douches will raise 10 fold.....

Time for a spin......

Old 06-27-08, 01:12 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure about that. I already get plenty of $%^&* from corworkers, innocent angry bystanders, some family,etc because I drive not one but 2 Lexus's as I am so often reminded of from others though I rarely think of it. Seems others are more interested in what we drive than we are.

Give that 545/550 a spin. Just stay away from the I-Drive. The 550 is a beast. The 545 has similar driving dynamics just noticeably slower. But for under 20k these days the 545 is pretty appealing.
Old 06-27-08, 08:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

With gas prices and aggressive new car leases and financing, I'm not surprised used car prices are down. I think a lot of consumers are in 'hunker down' mode.

Car sales are going to SUCK this year.
Old 06-27-08, 08:12 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5 series has a very unique feel to driving it compared to the GS in my experience... it just feels very very vault-like and everything just feels so 'connected'.

With that said I suspect the reason the 5 series sees a steeper drop in resale value is that as they approach the end of the manufacturer warranty and maintenance period, people become weary of the potential ownership costs of them. I know I would never consider owning one outside of warranty. But I know you can get a certified 5 from the dealer with 100k mile warranty and maintenance... not sure about pricing though.
Old 06-27-08, 05:05 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coincidence? I went to a BMW dealership yesterday to take a 550 for a spin. Turns out it wasnt going to be ready for another day since they just took it in on trade. The 545 was being driven by a sales guy so no drivey for me BUT what I can say is that when I first drove the 545 while test driving range rovers it was HELLA FUN!!! I cannot wait to see how the 550 feel. I believe its a good 30+ hp. The sales guy did tell me that since the trend is to stay away from 8cyl dealers are pricing aggressively.

I'm looking for a nice blue this time with sport and winter package. Although.....I did see a nice white 335 with gunmetal wheels and it looked hot. I meant to come on the forum and post with opinions on which vehicle to get 550 (less expensive and more tq) or 335 (tt but small and pricier).
Old 06-27-08, 05:07 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
not sure about pricing though.
The warranty is not bumper to bumper like it is up to 50k or 3yrs but you can extend it for 2100 on the 5 series. Definitely worth it is you ask me.
Old 06-27-08, 05:13 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bc they have a poor side crash rating and people don't want to die.
Old 06-27-08, 05:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Because they are slow an ugly. I drove a 550 at BMW even in NY, and I didnt know it was a 550... I though it was a 530 it was so laggy. When I got out and looked at the badge, I was like, ouch, wtf lol?
Old 06-27-08, 05:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And yeah, speak of the throttle by wire delay... Its real bad in the 550 off the line. But once it gets going, its transmission shifts so quickly, its amazing, however it does make for a jerky ride. I'd rather have GS450h over anything else.
Old 06-27-08, 05:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

First off, my condolences to 5 owners if this is really true and I haven't done enough investigation to really know. But I am definitely of the opinion that mileage is going to affect everything. I know the fanboys in study hall are pumping their fists over the next press release on some 700hp grocery getter but I just don't get the enjoyment out feeding that habit at $5+ to the gallon. I'm not begging a dealer for a Prius either but I want to get 24mpg minimum in my next car.

I also think the bimmer design is growing on me, but slowly. OT - Anyone else starting to think the XF is looking old already or is it just me? And I am not quite an i-drive hater but I'm not an i-drive, or Command or MMI, lover either. I want to be wrong but I remember posting after the Crown Prince Bangle Bungles were hitting that I thought that this generation might turn into some of the least desirable bimmers in a long time. Still hope I am wrong about that but I don't blame anyone right now for waiting for the next gen styling, and i-Drive 2.0 either.

Quick Reply: Why is the 545/550 resale so...