Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Prius vs Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 11:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Corollas can be had for $15k OTD. Lots of haggling room.

Prius, because of the hype, is typically sold at MSRP. OTD price is near $25k.

there WAS a $3350 fed govt tax credit thru late 2006 on the Prius...my brother in Colorado got some crazy amount of credit on his state tax as well.

Last edited by bagwell; 07-02-08 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-01-08, 11:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
My experience is that the cars get much better mileage on the highway than in stop and go driving, contrary to what they wrote. I usually get 38-42 on the highway and 32-34 in stop and go with my Camry Hybrid.
As long as you stay at a reasonable speed on the hwy....

While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph.

You can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.30 per gallon for gas.

Old 07-01-08, 12:01 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
The Prius likely costs more b/c (1) it's the fuel economy leader and thus commands a higher markup, and (2) it has more goodies. When both are fully loaded, the Prius has a few extra gadgets not available on the Camry Hybrid: HID headlights, rearview backup camera, fog lights, rear wiper, digital speedometer, coolant heat reservoir (keeps antifreeze hot between trips), and bladder (in gas tank - collapses as fuel is consumed, eliminating free space into which gasoline can evaporate, reducing outgassing when refueling). On the other hand, the Camry Hybrid has a driver's seat with lumbar support (Prius seat is back-hostile on long drives), a moonroof, dual-zone climate ctl, etc. Personally, I'd prefer the Prius due to the high-tech interior (digital speedo in center of dash, joystick shifter, etc.), better fuel economy, and practical hatchback. However, the camry is going to be more comfortable, quieter, and safer in a crash due to higher mass and greater width.
well someone knows his stuff
Old 07-01-08, 12:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

The Camry Hybrid is gonna appeal to more people (and this thread shows) just because it's more mainstream, looks like a normal car and doesn't give up much mpg for a significant gain in performance and luxury.
Old 07-01-08, 04:09 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A comparison I didn't read... I'd rather have a root canal instead of buying either.
Amen to that. In fact, I wouldn't be caught dead in a "Pious."

Of course, I'm not the type to drive 55mph in the fast lane, so I doubt
that I would be allowed to buy one anyway.
Old 07-01-08, 06:57 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A comparison I didn't read... I'd rather have a root canal instead of buying either.

thanks for sharing that info - you really contributed a lot to the thread
Old 07-01-08, 07:17 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how hard to would it be to take the same system from the Camry hybrid, put it in the ES except couple it to the 2.5L V6 instead of the 2.4L?
Old 07-01-08, 07:44 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I'd rather have the Camry. I've heard you can hit 60 MPH in under 8 seconds and that gentle driving can get you 44 hwy MPGs.
I have an '08 Camry Hybrid, and it won't get to 60mph in 8s, nor would you ever come close to a 44MPG unless you continually drive downhill all the time And yes I considered a Prius but alas the car is not for me... It just doesn't appeal to me. So a Camry Hybrid is a no-brainer. Its roomy, very comfy, drives like ... well.... a Camry, and its got a cool factor.... Check out pics of mine below.

Can a Prius look this good?

Or this?

Old 07-01-08, 10:43 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
So how hard to would it be to take the same system from the Camry hybrid, put it in the ES except couple it to the 2.5L V6 instead of the 2.4L?
one word: Image

Originally Posted by bluestar
I have an '08 Camry Hybrid, and it won't get to 60mph in 8s, nor would you ever come close to a 44MPG unless you continually drive downhill all the time And yes I considered a Prius but alas the car is not for me... It just doesn't appeal to me. So a Camry Hybrid is a no-brainer. Its roomy, very comfy, drives like ... well.... a Camry, and its got a cool factor.... Check out pics of mine below.

Can a Prius look this good?

Or this?

See there's your problem. 18" rims won't net you 44mpg . j/k. Nice mods btw!
Old 07-02-08, 10:34 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bluestar
I have an '08 Camry Hybrid, and it won't get to 60mph in 8s, nor would you ever come close to a 44MPG unless you continually drive downhill all the time
My Camry Hybrid's trip computer read 42.9mpg after a 300+ mile trip from West Los Angeles to San Jose. The speed limit most of the way is 70mph, and the only time I was under the speed limit was when other cars were in my way. I'd say that's pretty close to 44MPG
Old 08-01-08, 01:48 PM
outolunch
Driver School Candidate

Default ROSTRA backup camera for Toyota and Lexus

I found a neat high quality backup camera for the Camry and Lexus cars with a OEM NAV system. If anybody wants info, email me at cruisin@live.com