Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does BMW have something like onstar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 11:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I know BMW assist said they wouldn't give you the location until the report was filed, but would they at least kill the engine?
Well I thought about it, but then if the car is disabled while parked illegally, it will start collecting parking tickets or get towed to a police lot. And if he has weed in the car, then my parents will get in trouble because its their car. Either way you look at it, its just a crappy situation.
Old 07-02-08, 11:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Makes sense. Good luck man, it is a pretty F'd up situation.
Old 07-02-08, 11:32 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope he hasnt drove the car into a chop shop or anything like that just to get money...
is it possible to get BMW to display a message in the car?
saying return to parents or this incident will be reported to police
Old 07-02-08, 11:44 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well I thought about it, but then if the car is disabled while parked illegally, it will start collecting parking tickets or get towed to a police lot. And if he has weed in the car, then my parents will get in trouble because its their car. Either way you look at it, its just a crappy situation.
Sorry 1SICK but IMO you and Mom and Dad better sit down and decide exactly what has to happen so that you will call the police. Does he have to rob somebody or kill somebody DUI? He's out there right now driving the car around and you have every reason to believe that he has weed in the car. He could be having a talk with a cop at any time and when they do get to Mommy and Daddy the first question they are going to ask is why didn't you report this to them when he first "stole" the car? The longer this goes on the best advice is to get a criminal lawyer to help Mom and Dad answer those questions if the worst does happen.

Can't say I would want a police record either but in case no one has figured it out, buying this jerk a 2005 745 isn't solving his problems either. Not going to be any winners in this situation. Biggest question might end up being how many losers there are going to be. Sure wish I had better advice but I think you alread know this isn't heading in the right direction.

Last edited by RON430; 07-02-08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 12:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
Sorry 1SICK but IMO you and Mom and Dad better sit down and decide exactly what has to happen so that you will call the police. Does he have to rob somebody or kill somebody DUI? He's out there right now driving the car around and you have every reason to believe that he has weed in the car. He could be having a talk with a cop at any time and when they do get to Mommy and Daddy the first question they are going to ask is why didn't you report this to them when he first "stole" the car. The longer this goes on the best advice is to get a criminal lawyer to help Mom and Dad answer those questions if the worst does happen.

Can't say I would want a police record either but in case no one has figured it out, buying this jerk a 2005 745 isn't solving his problems either. Not going to be any winners in this situation. Biggest question might end up being how many losers there are going to be. Sure wish I had better advice but I think you alread know this isn't heading in the right direction.

Well I just left him a message on his phone that if I don't hear from him by tonight, I will personally report the car stolen. I implied that *I* will do that, not my parents. He knows they wont have the heart to do that, but I'm different. He defenately doesn't want to get arrested, he's too used to a luxury lifestyle, and he was once arrested and spent a night in jail... after which he threw out all the clothes he was wearing that day, lol. He didnt like it at all, and was fortunate to come out with no charges against him, so hopefully my threat will make him cooperate.
Old 07-02-08, 12:44 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well I just left him a message on his phone that if I don't hear from him by tonight, I will personally report the car stolen. I implied that *I* will do that, not my parents. He knows they wont have the heart to do that, but I'm different. He defenately doesn't want to get arrested, he's too used to a luxury lifestyle, and he was once arrested and spent a night in jail... after which he threw out all the clothes he was wearing that day, lol. He didnt like it at all, and was fortunate to come out with no charges against him, so hopefully my threat will make him cooperate.
I don't envy you being in that position. But to be clear, even over the internet you get relationships. I don't care very much for him, my main concern is for you, your Mom, and your Dad. Helping someone you care about work out their problems doesn't mean getting entangled in them yourself. Hopefully you will get a cop that understands how difficult this is for you.

Sometimes its a wonder any of us deals with modern life and without falling apart. The jury's still out on that one for me.

All my best.
Old 07-02-08, 03:55 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drugs and pot can make a good kid turn bad real quick. I've seen one of our church friends to down that road. Simple pot smoking then the next thing you know he is stealing cars to support his habit, then getting into different drugs, then 15 years later and going in and out of jail for car theft and other crimes he is now facing life in prison for murder. Don't let your brother get too out of control or he'll be ruined for life. That is why I despise drug use and users even pot.
Old 07-04-08, 08:33 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you heard from your brother yet?
Old 07-04-08, 08:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Nothing yet. Been driving around last night looking for his car, and just came back from doing the same this morning. Drove by all the addresses where his friends live, no cigar. We are probably going to report the car stolen today.
Old 07-04-08, 09:10 AM
LexFather

Hey man, best of luck too you.

Old 07-04-08, 09:27 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not trying to be funny but find out where his favorite place to eat and go and ask if they have seen him or stake out the parking lots of certain places he goes to relieve his munchies.......
Old 07-08-08, 12:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The kid finally came home last friday, and after much drama and getting into a fight with me, he appologized on saturday and said he's going to straighten out, and find a job and go back to college in fall. He's denied from using the car until he finds a job. It was his birthday on sunday, so me and him kind of made peace but still a bit tense. Hopefully he's gonna live up to his promises.
Old 07-08-08, 01:44 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, only happens to BMW owners. Good God!