Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2008 Vehicle Sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 05:16 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bimmer pulled the big discount off the 7 in NoCal for the month of June and you could see the results. Well it's back for July. $8K off is easy to get and if you want an S550 you will get at least $10K off. Haven't looked at what Lexus is doing on the LS but the A8 isn't trying to play in this league. Have to see what it does to July sales. Whatever your favorite combination of factors are to describe the downturn, it is hard to see it changing soon.
Old 07-03-08, 06:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
TRD
As pointed out, sedan/coupe sales can be combined -because they have the same name on the car. The Accord is called an Accord on both the Coupe and Sedan - same with Civic.

Toyota uses completely different names and then says they are the same car - this is where we have issues. Also as pointed out the Solara and Camry are very different. I don't even think the engines are the same.
Thank you. This is my main issue with Toyota combining sales of cars that don't share names/badges. The Matrix should say "Corolla Matrix" on it's hatch if it is to be counted as a Corolla sale.

When it comes to the Yaris, at least they are both called "Yaris" so it is ultimately OK to combine sales. However, I just think they should also show individual sales of both the sedan and liftback.
Old 07-03-08, 07:18 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
Only because the Solara V6 hasn't been updated yet

Kinda like how the BMW 3 Series before coupe and sedan were still counted together when the the old 3 coupe was counted with the new 3 sedan
They still had the same name...... I'll give you the Camry Coupe sales - just call the thing a Camry on the tail end....
Old 07-03-08, 10:03 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by doug_999
They still had the same name...... I'll give you the Camry Coupe sales - just call the thing a Camry on the tail end....
Cost cutting, saving money on that little bits of plastic
Old 07-04-08, 11:54 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Default A limited inventory of small cars hurt Toyota

Finally, we have some explanation and insight into Toyota's inventory levels for June (underlined sections added for emphasis):

http://uk.reuters.com/article/motori...dChannel=10171

By Poornima Gupta

DETROIT (Reuters) - The surge in popularity for small cars and fuel-efficient hybrids has left Toyota facing an unusual problem: deepening shortages of popular models such as the Prius hybrid.

A limited inventory of small cars hurt Toyota, which reported a 11.5 percent drop in U.S. sales in June.

In stark contrast, Japanese rival Honda Motor Co reported a 13.8 percent sales rise on record demand for its Fit subcompact car and Civic sedan.

Toyota executives said a dwindling inventory of vehicles, such as the Prius, Yaris and Corolla, had forced the automaker to scramble to try to keep up with demand in June, a month when industry-wide U.S. auto sales dropped almost 9 percent.

Sales of Toyota's Prius, the top-selling hybrid in the U.S. market, fell 26 percent as dealers ran short of inventory and customers faced a six-month waiting list. Toyota said it would only partly be able to satisfy the backlog of demand from its dedicated Prius factory in Japan this year.

Hybrids command about a $5,000 price premium compared with equivalent vehicles without the expensive battery.

"It is very doubtful that there is going to be a lot of recovery this year to be able to satisfy consumer demand and that is very unfortunate," said Jim Lentz, Toyota's head of North American sales, referring to the Prius.

Toyota had a one-day supply of the Prius hybrid and a 2-1/2 day supply of its hybrid Camry sedan at the end of June.

Inventory of other popular Toyota cars also ran low in June. Dealer supply of Corolla sedans was down to a 15-day supply, while Yaris had a 7-day supply at the end of June, the automaker said.

Toyota said it expected inventories of Yaris and Corolla to increase in August and was working to add capacity at its hybrid battery manufacturing plant in Japan.

The current generation Prius uses nickel-metal hydride batteries made by Panasonic EV, a joint venture between the automaker and Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co Ltd.

Toyota, which put the world's first hybrid car on the road in 1997, has a goal of reaching global annual sales of 1 million hybrid vehicles soon after 2010 -- more than double last year's sales tally.

Toyota's Lentz said the production constraint made it hard to forecast how large the market for the hybrid model could be in the United States, the Japanese automaker's largest market.

"We don't know what the top end on Prius is," Lentz said.

So there you have it.

Most of us obviously know of course about the supply problems for the Prius, but a ONE DAY supply I believe is unheard-of for a 5-year old model. That means literally that you will almost never see an actual Prius at a Toyota dealer because they'll be gone from the dealer the same day they arrive. Makes sense as I personally haven't actually seen a Prius at any local Toyota dealers for months.

The sales drop for the Yaris is fully explained. A 7-day supply means that there is more demand for the Yaris currently than Toyota can handle. Also interesting that Corolla supply is that low. Production of the Corolla is currently running at full steam, and it appears that Corolla supply will only get lower. Good to hear that Yaris and Corolla inventories should increase next month.

As for the Prius, not much can be done until next year since at this point production is battery-limited.

Anyone criticizing the value of a Prius (or other hybrids) over the long-term looks awfully silly now. Resale values for hybrids, especially the Prius and Camry hybrid, are going to be quite high for months and likely years to come.
Old 07-04-08, 12:42 PM
xioix
Racer

I expected better from Toyota, the way they set up their plants, they can build multiple cars on the same line, the Corolla, and Yaris shouldn't have supply issues
Old 07-04-08, 12:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I expected better from Toyota, the way they set up their plants, they can build multiple cars on the same line, the Corolla, and Yaris shouldn't have supply issues
Uhh, I hope you DO know that Yaris demand worldwide is huge, and in many areas of the world Yaris sales were already supply-constrained. Toyota has been adding more production capacity in existing plants for the Yaris, but worldwide demand has exceeded that. As for the Corolla, just a few months ago they completed the model changeover for the 2009 model and only recently has production been at high levels. Corolla inventory levels are decent so far. Finally, production cannot be changed instantaneously, especially when factories are already running at capacity (which is the case for factories around the world that make the Corolla and Yaris). Inventory levels for both vehicles will be up by next month. It's a suitably quick response. To build a new factory would take years, not months. Toyota is increasing production at existing plants and using it's flexible manufacturing abilities to full extent.
Old 07-04-08, 01:58 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I guess all we can hope for is that one day little Toyota will finally have the resources necessary to meet their demand. Then we won't have to explain all their sales misses by supply constraint. Oh when can they move to the big time and become a real grownup car company?
Old 07-04-08, 03:12 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Uhh, I hope you DO know that Yaris demand worldwide is huge, and in many areas of the world Yaris sales were already supply-constrained....
True. Some people may also be unaware that the Yaris is Europe's best selling Toyota model (ever since it's introduction). Yes, above Corolla and Camry equivalent.

I'll most likely be buying a Yaris this weekend or by next. I've searched about 10 Toyota dealers within a 50 mile radius from me and they all average 0-3 Yaris in stock. Most of them being the less desirable colors and trims. I'm having to look at used ones because of the lack of inventory.

And if you want a Honda Fit, you are more likely to find a Ford Model T in mint condition. I honestly don't know how the Fit moved 10,000 units in June when there are none to be found. They probably would've moved 20,000 if they had dealers fully stocked with Fit's.
Old 07-04-08, 03:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of seeing all the most wanted cars constantly hard to find and all the vehicles nobody wants continuing to be built and crowding dealer lots.

I guess the market has been shifting faster than manufacturing can adjust. Too bad.

Somehow though, if big SUV's were in hot demand, automakers would find a way to keep them in full supply. Funny how that seems to work. Hmm, wonder if it has something to do with there huge profit margin??
Old 07-04-08, 04:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Somehow though, if big SUV's were in hot demand, automakers would find a way to keep them in full supply. Funny how that seems to work. Hmm, wonder if it has something to do with there huge profit margin??
So are you thinking Toyota keeps their low margin cars like Yaris supply constrained because they hope to upsell consumers in the showroom to more expensive and profitable models?
Old 07-04-08, 04:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Finally, we have some explanation and insight into Toyota's inventory levels for June (underlined sections added for emphasis):

So there you have it.

Most of us obviously know of course about the supply problems for the Prius, but a ONE DAY supply I believe is unheard-of for a 5-year old model. That means literally that you will almost never see an actual Prius at a Toyota dealer because they'll be gone from the dealer the same day they arrive. Makes sense as I personally haven't actually seen a Prius at any local Toyota dealers for months.

The sales drop for the Yaris is fully explained. A 7-day supply means that there is more demand for the Yaris currently than Toyota can handle. Also interesting that Corolla supply is that low. Production of the Corolla is currently running at full steam, and it appears that Corolla supply will only get lower. Good to hear that Yaris and Corolla inventories should increase next month.

As for the Prius, not much can be done until next year since at this point production is battery-limited.

Anyone criticizing the value of a Prius (or other hybrids) over the long-term looks awfully silly now. Resale values for hybrids, especially the Prius and Camry hybrid, are going to be quite high for months and likely years to come.
Uhh, I hope you DO know that Yaris demand worldwide is huge, and in many areas of the world Yaris sales were already supply-constrained. Toyota has been adding more production capacity in existing plants for the Yaris, but worldwide demand has exceeded that. As for the Corolla, just a few months ago they completed the model changeover for the 2009 model and only recently has production been at high levels. Corolla inventory levels are decent so far. Finally, production cannot be changed instantaneously, especially when factories are already running at capacity (which is the case for factories around the world that make the Corolla and Yaris). Inventory levels for both vehicles will be up by next month. It's a suitably quick response. To build a new factory would take years, not months. Toyota is increasing production at existing plants and using it's flexible manufacturing abilities to full extent.
So let me ask - do you believe Toyota has done NOTHING wrong in planning to meet demand? Somehow Honda is keeping up with surging demand.
Old 07-04-08, 05:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So are you thinking Toyota keeps their low margin cars like Yaris supply constrained because they hope to upsell consumers in the showroom to more expensive and profitable models?
This is absolutely what goes on in showrooms especially to ignorant consumers. I have read in many other forums about many people going into a dealer knowing they were going to buy a Yaris, for example, and all the salespeople wanted to do is recommend the Corolla and in some cases a Camry to them. The smart buyers argued back saying they wanted a Yaris for good reason. And why not, the dealer/salesman make more for each upsell they achieve never mind the automaker.

So let me ask - do you believe Toyota has done NOTHING wrong in planning to meet demand? Somehow Honda is keeping up with surging demand.
When it comes to the Fit, Honda has NOT been able to meet demand. Go take a look at your local Honda dealer for a Fit. I'm betting good money you won't find one. And if so, 1 or 2 less desirable colors. On the other hand, you'll see crap loads of Civics and Accords.

Honda has, however, announced significant increases in production numbers for the new 2009 Fit.
Old 07-04-08, 06:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Is there really a question in there for you know who?
Old 07-04-08, 08:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I don't believe that. Toyota likely has done mistakes, because Toyota is run by humans after all. My point is whatever the situation may be, Toyota is well-suited to adapt to changing market conditions, along with Honda (to an extent).

And as mentioned by JLSC4, Honda is having trouble meeting demand for the Fit. Supply for the Civic is also quite low, and Honda aims to increase Civic production in the coming months. Fit inventories aren't scheduled to increase for a few months as well. Meanwhile, Yaris and Corolla inventories should increase by next month.

There has been a huge consumer shift from large vehicles to small vehicles in the US over the past few months, and although Honda and Toyota saw this coming and to an extent planned for this, demand has exceeded supply and believe me both automakers are working hard to adapt quickly.

Quick Reply: June 2008 Vehicle Sales