Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2008 Vehicle Sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I was wondering, which, if any, of these low end vehicles like Civic, Fit, Yaris, Corolla, are manufactured in the U.S.?
Old 07-05-08, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
There has been a huge consumer shift from large vehicles to small vehicles in the US over the past few months, and although Honda and Toyota saw this coming and to an extent planned for this, demand has exceeded supply and believe me both automakers are working hard to adapt quickly.
Sure. As for a 'huge consumer shift' - well that's only in terms of people actually buying/leasing new vehicles. Tons of other people (much more) who might have bought something just aren't buying anything realizing that trading in one vehicle (and perhaps getting clobbered if it's an SUV for example) to pay full price for one that gets more mpg often has no economic benefit at all.
Old 07-05-08, 02:25 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I was wondering, which, if any, of these low end vehicles like Civic, Fit, Yaris, Corolla, are manufactured in the U.S.?
Civic and Corolla are, I think; but they are definitely made in Canada
Old 07-05-08, 07:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The Fit and Yaris are exclusively built in Japan (hence the top rated quality).

Civic and Corolla I believe each have plants in Japan, US, and Canada.
Old 07-10-08, 04:37 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

Read this guy's review of luxury car over the last 12 months. Very interesting research.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Do-You...-Ground-32199/
Old 07-10-08, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rg_gibson
Read this guy's review of luxury car over the last 12 months. Very interesting research.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Do-You...-Ground-32199/
Very interesting data. Thing is, while Germany truly has a big 3 in BMW/Benz/Audi, Japan has a big one and 2 other guys. America has a big one as lIncoln is a joke. I mean Lexus is sold worldwide, Infiniti is barely and Acura is not (10 cars in China does not count).

Its just hard to truly compare when the brands are luxury badged but so different in sales and success.

Also it totally does not mention SALES TACTICS The Germans are much much more aggresive as Infiniti with lease rates and getting ANYONE in a car. Audi, Lexus and others actually sell to customers based on merit, not a cheap monthly payment.

He questions volvo as a luxury brand, but why Acura then? Makes no sense.

Then OF COURSE BMW/Lexus/Benz sales will be down, the past 4 years have been the BEST SALES YEARS of their lives. EVENTUALLY you will decline.

I can appreciate the effort but he needed to do a lot more digging. We all know you can make statistics say anything you want.