Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini-Review.....2008 VW Passat 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Very good review Mike, glad you are feeling better. This is a car that many people "sleep" on, like the Legacy.
Thanks. And like the Legacy GT's turbo 4, the 2.0T Passat definitely gets out of its own way. Like I told Nextourer, it is one of the most potent fours I've driven short of the STI and Evo.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-08 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-03-08, 06:22 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reliability is one of the main reason i didnt settle for a passat too

hows Passat nowadays in terms of reliability?
and how does the 2.0T do in gas mileage?
Old 07-03-08, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Did VW just win some awards list for quality?
Old 07-03-08, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Did VW just win some awards list for quality?
Not Consumer Reports. I consider them the best overall source.

However, that's not to say that the Passat is a piece of junk by any means. Far from it. Given the known weak points of electronics and wiring, it is, IMO, otherwise quite well-built. The interior hardware could be a little better...like GM cars, it is mostly plastic under that plush-looking interior finish, but it is hard to argue with that exterior. The body panels, sheet metal, trim, and hardware are all first-rate. The hood, doors, and trunk lid all shut with Rock-of-Gibraltar solidness (better than new Lexus products, I might add), and the "VW" logo trunk release is thick, real, chromed METAL.....not the usual El Cheapo plastic.
Old 07-03-08, 10:33 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was seriously considering the Passat Wagon - Turbo(base) model. It's a really well built car and I was quite impressed with the interior. The engine is certainly a gem. One great thing about the Passat Wagon was its rated MPG. 31 Highway! Not bad.

The thing about the Passat is they are a great value if you want a base model, but options can quickly bring a $25K into the $35-39K territory really quickly.

I've decided to wait for the Jetta Sportwagon TDI. They have demo cars the the dealerships now and I'm planning to down to one this weekend to try it out.
Old 07-04-08, 05:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van

The thing about the Passat is they are a great value if you want a base model, but options can quickly bring a $25K into the $35-39K territory really quickly.
You generally won't pay that much for 2.0T models, unless you get ALL of the options, accesories, and packages on the Lux model. The heavily loaded Lux I drove ran between 32 and 33K. The 35-40K models are generally V6 and AWD models.

(I've already criticized the VW-Audi decision not to offer AWD with the 2.0).

I've decided to wait for the Jetta Sportwagon TDI. They have demo cars the the dealerships now and I'm planning to down to one this weekend to try it out.
If you are willing to wait (apparantly, you are), you may be able to get a TDI Passat diesel wagon (Passats also come in wagon versions). Check with VW on the latest plans. That's another VW marketing error....IMO, they should have had the Passat TDI diesel here by now.
Old 07-04-08, 03:02 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Great review mmarshall, of a great car.

You say "with the always-questionable VW electronics and relability" - is that based on Consumer Reports ratings?

I know MANY people with VWs who have ZERO problems. Of course just anecdotal but I would not hesitate to own a VW.

And you're right, that 2.0T is a jewel.
Yep, my wife and I have owned two Audis for a total of eleven years and neither ever went back to the dealer for anything other than routine service. Can't come even close to saying that for our Lexus.

Another fine review from MM.
Old 07-04-08, 07:57 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Great Review mmarshall, I think you'll find that given time VW's enormous strides in electronics reliability (compared to the 90's) will start to have an affect on its ratings in CR and the stigma of unreliable electronics will generally go away. If my current Audi's are anything to go by then VW certainly has improved its electronics enormously. I really do think that the bad old days for VW are over.
Old 07-05-08, 12:02 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are willing to wait (apparantly, you are), you may be able to get a TDI Passat diesel wagon (Passats also come in wagon versions). Check with VW on the latest plans. That's another VW marketing error....IMO, they should have had the Passat TDI diesel here by now.
I didn't know that. You're right, VW has goofed big time in not bringing TDI cars here earlier. Car enthusiasts like myself would prefer the driving dynamics of a turbo diesel over a hybrid and the fuel costs seem comparable.
Old 07-05-08, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaydunn
Yep, my wife and I have owned two Audis for a total of eleven years and neither ever went back to the dealer for anything other than routine service. Can't come even close to saying that for our Lexus.
Good. I'm glad that was the case with you and your wife. But, for many (too many) VW-Audi products, repairing defective electronics and wiring IS routine service.

Another fine review from MM.
Thanks. Sorry that, with my then-bad elbow, it couldn't have been longer and more comprehensive....I had to cut it short. That will not be the case with the Acura TL Type-S review coming up.
Old 07-05-08, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't know that. You're right, VW has goofed big time in not bringing TDI cars here earlier. Car enthusiasts like myself would prefer the driving dynamics of a turbo diesel over a hybrid and the fuel costs seem comparable.

VW has been waiting for the new low-sulfur (and expensive) diesel fuel to become established in the U.S before committing more of their new high-tech diesel models here.
Old 07-05-08, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck
Great Review mmarshall,
Thanks.

I think you'll find that given time VW's enormous strides in electronics reliability (compared to the 90's) will start to have an affect on its ratings in CR and the stigma of unreliable electronics will generally go away. If my current Audi's are anything to go by then VW certainly has improved its electronics enormously. I really do think that the bad old days for VW are over.
Yes and no. Improvement or not, the service people at my VW-Subaru shop still tell me that the new VW's still have electronics and wiring problems. Seems like every other VW I see on the road is a one-eyed Cyclops with a headlight out, even on fairly new vehicles.
Old 07-05-08, 09:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Car enthusiasts like myself would prefer the driving dynamics of a turbo diesel over a hybrid and the fuel costs seem comparable.
I'm not sure about that. The cost of low-sulfur diesel fuel, in the U.S., has gotten completely out of hand, for a number of reasons. It is over $5 a gallon in some places, although, admittedly, you get better mileage with it than either regular or premium gasoline.
Old 07-05-08, 09:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice!! Always liked the Passat line. One of my favorite cars in this class. Comfortable with a nice sporty edge to it. The 2.0T engine is awesome. Would love to see this combined with the 4Motion and Quattro systems in the future.
Old 07-06-08, 03:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
The 2.0T engine is awesome. Would love to see this combined with the 4Motion and Quattro systems in the future.

..............and, of course, the superb DSG gearbox, which VW currently does not offer on the Passat at all. Once again, I don't know why . Audi does offer the DSG with the 2.0T on the A3 (I reviewed it a while back), but not the Quattro.

Because of the somewhat weak low-RPM torque curve of the Acura TL Type-S 3.5L V6, the automatic 2.0T turbo Passat I reviewed actually felt a little stronger at low RPM's than the 6-speed manual Type-S I reviewed yesterday....quite remarkable, IMO, considering the two cars were roughly the same size and weight..

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-06-08 at 03:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Mini-Review.....2008 VW Passat 2.0T