Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mini-Review.....2008 VW Passat 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 08:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

The 2.0T is available in a number of VW-Audi products. It's a real powerhouse for its size, and is one of the strongest fours I've driven, short of the 290-300 HP Subaru STI and Mitsubishi Evo. Why VW and Audi have the AWD marketing restrictions on it beats me.
sweet. I gotta try it out some day.

Oh? and probably less maintenance-heavy than the Evo/STi since it's not heavily boosted.
Old 07-30-08, 01:13 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not Consumer Reports. I consider them the best overall source.

However, that's not to say that the Passat is a piece of junk by any means. Far from it. Given the known weak points of electronics and wiring, it is, IMO, otherwise quite well-built. The interior hardware could be a little better...like GM cars, it is mostly plastic under that plush-looking interior finish, but it is hard to argue with that exterior. The body panels, sheet metal, trim, and hardware are all first-rate. The hood, doors, and trunk lid all shut with Rock-of-Gibraltar solidness (better than new Lexus products, I might add), and the "VW" logo trunk release is thick, real, chromed METAL.....not the usual El Cheapo plastic.

I also have a last generation Passat GLX (b5.5) and I am still astonished by the build quality. The interior is better detailed than some Mercedes models I've driven (E-class). The doors close with vault-like solidness. Doesn't compare to a Honda in any way. I would venture to say a Passat is better built than an Acura TL, materials wise. Slightly troubled by the new B6 Passat having a slightly downgraded interior, but its still better than other family sedans in it's class.

Btw, the new 2.0T feels MUCH quicker than the Audi 2.8 V6 in the last generation Passat. And I thought the 30v 2.8 had torque down low...the 2.0T brings it to a new level.
Old 07-30-08, 05:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
I also have a last generation Passat GLX (b5.5) and I am still astonished by the build quality. The interior is better detailed than some Mercedes models I've driven (E-class). The doors close with vault-like solidness. Doesn't compare to a Honda in any way. I would venture to say a Passat is better built than an Acura TL, materials wise. Slightly troubled by the new B6 Passat having a slightly downgraded interior, but its still better than other family sedans in it's class.

Btw, the new 2.0T feels MUCH quicker than the Audi 2.8 V6 in the last generation Passat. And I thought the 30v 2.8 had torque down low...the 2.0T brings it to a new level.

No arguments about the 2.0T. I fact, IMO, it is absurd that VW/Audi will not combine the DSG and AWD with it. The fact that they do so on the A4 (at least in the past), but not on other vehicles, proves that the hardware will fit.

El Cheapo interiors, for the most part, are becoming a standard fare of the cost/weight-cutting of some automakers. Each redesign and new-generation model seems to have lighter, thinner plastic inside and cheaper finishes.

Of course, there are some exceptions. The new subcompact Chevy Aveo, for instance, has luxury-car grade trim in its top-line versions, and the Subaru Impreza, while almost all hard-plastic inside, uses attractive, thick, and durable plastic....it feels as hard as metal.
Old 07-30-08, 09:38 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

to tell some of you the truth, i would rather have this over an is250, and with the new one that is SUPPOSED to come out that looks a lot like the cls merc, id jump all over it, i like where vw is and where it's going. Just curios but where is the passat made? along with most other vw's are they made here in the states?
Old 07-30-08, 04:25 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmd93
to tell some of you the truth, i would rather have this over an is250, and with the new one that is SUPPOSED to come out that looks a lot like the cls merc, id jump all over it, i like where vw is and where it's going. Just curios but where is the passat made? along with most other vw's are they made here in the states?
The Passat is made in Emden Germany. The GTIs, Tiguans and Rabbits are made in Wolfsburg. I am pretty sure the Touareg is built in Bratislava, Slovakia, alongside the Porsche Cayenne. The Jetta and New Bettle are assembled in Puebla Mexico.

With the strong Euro, VW is making close to nothing off of most of their German-imports, hence their new $1 billion plant in Tennessee.

Last edited by FKL; 07-30-08 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-30-08, 05:13 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Nice writeup, but I have a question.

Why is there a pic of the new VW CC interior in your thread? Sure, they share most major dash parts, but the steering wheel, gauges, climate controls (and door panels which aren't really visible) are all different.

CC interior:

Passat interior:
Old 07-30-08, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jwaters
Nice writeup, but I have a question.

Why is there a pic of the new VW CC interior in your thread? Sure, they share most major dash parts, but the steering wheel, gauges, climate controls (and door panels which aren't really visible) are all different.

CC interior:

Passat interior:
I don't have a digital camera, and don't know to up-load still photos. I have to go by the images that are already on the Internet. I try to match them as close as possible to my tested car, but sometimes they are slightly off....the EXACT image is not always available.
Old 07-30-08, 06:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

those seats remind me of those in older Ferraris and italian cars, maybe just me, but still looks nice
Old 07-31-08, 03:20 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmd93
those seats remind me of those in older Ferraris and italian cars, maybe just me, but still looks nice
They may look nice and feel nice to sit in, but they lack the lateral support of the old Passat seats.

Also, Volkswagen saw it keen to get rid of the nice little red LED lights that backlit the HVAC vent controls. Little things like that were cut. But hey, I'd rather have those standard LED tail lights on the B6 'ssat..