Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The weight of today's cars !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 01:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
On the brighter side, not all models are gaining weight. The Porsche Cayenne just dropped 400lbs, and the 2011 Shelby dropped 100lbs
Good examples, although the Cayenne was very overweight to begin with.
Old 09-17-10, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
I've also noticed the DRIVERS TOO have packed on alot more weight

Yep, constant pizza, ice cream, burgers, and fries at fast-food outlets pays its price.

I'm somewhat overweight myself, but not excessively so.
Old 09-17-10, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
3600 pounds on my IS350, it's okay with me.
The upcoming IS350AWD (which, BTW, is on my review-list), because of the extra hardware, will probably weigh more than that.
Old 09-17-10, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
On the brighter side, not all models are gaining weight. The Porsche Cayenne just dropped 400lbs, and the 2011 Shelby dropped 100lbs
One thing, of course, that helps the Shelby in the weight department is that it tosses the simple but heavy live-rear-axle assembly of lesser Mustangs for a lighter/more sophisticated IRS (independent rear suspension)....Ford's apparant reasoning being that the live-axle is heavy but durable and more resistant to damage and wear from constant burnouts and drop-clutch launches. Shelby drivers are presumed, having spent a lot more for their cars, to be a little more mature and caring of their cars than the typical Friday night drag-race crowd. Of course, that doesn't necessarily explain just why the Shelby dropped 100 lbs. from just last year, since last year also had an IRS....other factors also seem to be at work
Old 09-18-10, 10:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The upcoming IS350AWD (which, BTW, is on my review-list), because of the extra hardware, will probably weigh more than that.
Not probably, but certainly will weigh more. It will weigh over 100 pounds more, just like the comparable 2 IS250 AT versions.
Old 09-18-10, 10:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, constant pizza, ice cream, burgers, and fries at fast-food outlets pays its price.

I'm somewhat overweight myself, but not excessively so.
Yes, I see fat people all the time, some make the car lean a bit.
Old 09-18-10, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not probably, but certainly will weigh more. It will weigh over 100 pounds more, just like the comparable 2 IS250 AT versions.
That's if they don't make weight-compensation by decontenting it in other areas. But I agree with you...that is not likely. Few people want to pay more money for less car.
Old 09-18-10, 01:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing, of course, that helps the Shelby in the weight department is that it tosses the simple but heavy live-rear-axle assembly of lesser Mustangs for a lighter/more sophisticated IRS (independent rear suspension)....Ford's apparant reasoning being that the live-axle is heavy but durable and more resistant to damage and wear from constant burnouts and drop-clutch launches. Shelby drivers are presumed, having spent a lot more for their cars, to be a little more mature and caring of their cars than the typical Friday night drag-race crowd. Of course, that doesn't necessarily explain just why the Shelby dropped 100 lbs. from just last year, since last year also had an IRS....other factors also seem to be at work
Mike, that is not necessarily the case. Often enough a car actually gains weight by switching to IRS from solid axle. Don't forget, with IRS you still keep the differential and two half axles, which weight about as much as solid axle, but you gain control arms, trailing arms, and other components.
Old 09-18-10, 01:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With so many heavy cars on the road, you don't necessarily want to be in a light car. From the sheer safety standpoint, and heavier car will usually win in an accident.
Old 09-18-10, 02:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That's if they don't make weight-compensation by decontenting it in other areas. But I agree with you...that is not likely. Few people want to pay more money for less car.
Not going to happen, it's that short and simple.
Old 09-18-10, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, that is not necessarily the case. Often enough a car actually gains weight by switching to IRS from solid axle. Don't forget, with IRS you still keep the differential and two half axles, which weight about as much as solid axle, but you gain control arms, trailing arms, and other components.
Maybe....it depends on the individual design. But usually, the live-axle housing contains the heaviest, thickest, strongest metal.
Old 09-18-10, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good examples, although the Cayenne was very overweight to begin with.

With the power, though, that the Cayenne Turbo puts out, it can afford to have a little pork.
Old 09-18-10, 08:10 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
I've also noticed the DRIVERS TOO have packed on alot more weight
Exactly, forget the cars, people need to step up...and down, then up, then down. Lose the fat rolls folks
Old 09-18-10, 09:13 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

even with the exercising and proper dieting, it's not easy for some people. i myself work out constantly, but am nowhere near my ideal weight. different cultures and genes produce different types of people. some may be heavier, but not necessarily fat. the same goes the opposite direction where i've seen skinny people who are diabetic and unhealthy and have high cholesterol and blood pressure. it just depends on the person. but in regards to cars packing on more weight, cars are getting heavier partially due to people becoming more and more overweight, as the case in america today.
Old 09-18-10, 09:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
but in regards to cars packing on more weight, cars are getting heavier partially due to people becoming more and more overweight, as the case in america today.

I'm not sure I can agree. Back in the 1960s and early 70's, we had 20-ft-long, 5000-lb+ Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Imperials...this at a time when Americans, by and large, were younger and slimmer than they are now. Those two-and-a-half-ton (car) behemoths are long gone.......and, among regular mass-production passenger cars, with the possible exceptons of Maybach, Bentley and Rolls-Royce (which are not mass-produced), nothing in that weight class exists today outside of larger SUVs. To get really heavy vehicles today, you have to move outside of the regular passenger-car class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-20-10 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: The weight of today's cars !!