Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The weight of today's cars !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 07:27 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The weight of today's cars !!

I've noticed that a lot of our compact and midsize sedans have gained a lot of weight over the past 10 to 15 years, I honestly think that automakers should stop focusing on hp and instead work hard on cutting down weight on cars.

What are you thoughts guys ??
Old 07-02-08, 07:33 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

A lot of the weight is from additional convenience and safety features so I don't necessarily mind the weight.
Old 07-02-08, 07:57 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I concur the weight is both a problem but a result of modern safety features. However, some automakers have gotten out of control. MB stands out in my mind. They keep getting heavier, then they add more power via bigger engines, which adds more weight so that increase the power output which decreasese fuel economy. The SL600 weighs almost 4500 lbs! Compare that to the 3200 lb. Corvette.

My Legacy weighs 3100 lbs. Pretty good for a midsize sedan that has AWD. But the new ones weigh between 3300 and 3400 lbs and the 6 cylinders weigh 3500. I think there is room to reduce weight however alluminum costing more doesn't help. Audi's new weight saving frame technology is supposedly going to reduce the weight of the Q7 but 600 lbs. Thats pretty good.

Here's where I was very surprised. We all rag on Ford for producing crappy cars and doing poor design jobs. However, the Fusion/Milan weigh 3100 lbs in 4 cylinder form and 3300 lbs with the V6. Thats relatively light for a vehicle that size by todays standards. Camry is 150 lbs heavier.

In a nutshell I think that there is room for improvement.
Old 07-02-08, 10:08 AM
timer00
Pole Position

I remember when my 93 camry XLE V6 weighed just over 3200 lbs.
Old 07-02-08, 11:48 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Very little you can, or probably should, do about jettisoning safety equipment. But the biggest part of this discussion is what do you think should be at least made optional to give you the choice? Can't find a luxury/sport sedan without power windows, power seats, power adjust mirrors, and sunroof. Now I may still order those regardless but as much as I like the sunroof, I never use it. All the motors in the seat? I tend to set it at one place and leave it there. I'm not saying that everyone would have the same desires but you just don't have much choice today.
Old 07-02-08, 12:01 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I concur the weight is both a problem but a result of modern safety features. The SL600 weighs almost 4500 lbs! Compare that to the 3200 lb. Corvette.

In a nutshell I think that there is room for improvement.
Yeah but the SL is about 10 million times safer than anything GM can make, let alone a Corvette.
Old 07-02-08, 12:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

SL has a folding hardtop and needs a lot of chassis strengthening as a result
Old 07-02-08, 12:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Very little you can, or probably should, do about jettisoning safety equipment. But the biggest part of this discussion is what do you think should be at least made optional to give you the choice? Can't find a luxury/sport sedan without power windows, power seats, power adjust mirrors, and sunroof. Now I may still order those regardless but as much as I like the sunroof, I never use it. All the motors in the seat? I tend to set it at one place and leave it there. I'm not saying that everyone would have the same desires but you just don't have much choice today.
Talking about motors in the seats, when I was replacing the seats in my LS, do you know what these weight? They got to be well over 100lbs, backbreaking weight! And this is a 94, with basic adjustments. I can only imagine how much a seat out of a new LS weights.
Old 07-02-08, 01:23 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Talking about motors in the seats, when I was replacing the seats in my LS, do you know what these weight? They got to be well over 100lbs, backbreaking weight! And this is a 94, with basic adjustments. I can only imagine how much a seat out of a new LS weights.
Among other things, I do development in photonics and I was flabbergasted when I started reading about car makers putting fiber networks in the cars to cut down on the wiring weight. I don't mind at all if someone decides they want to have the weight from these options but let's be honest, on a lot of models you just have no choice. I know the tendency to look down our noses at manual adjust steering wheels for example but do you really need the weight of the motors, wiring, and electrical system capacity to adjust your steering wheel?

Getting better mileage is going to be hard to do if cars stay this porky and from an admittedly purely selfish reason, it is a lot easier to get good handling on a light car than some beached whale. If I have to give some convenience up, I at least want to get the handling enthusiasm. But then, I'm pretty selfish that way.
Old 07-02-08, 01:37 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with everyone. Added safety features and creature comforts have added a bunch of weight.

If you want a lightweight car, look into a Lotus Elise or Exige (2000 lbs.).
Old 07-02-08, 07:20 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I agree with everyone. Added safety features and creature comforts have added a bunch of weight.

If you want a lightweight car, look into a Lotus Elise or Exige (2000 lbs.).
And notice how expensive that Lotus is. It costs a lot more to make cars lighter, both the engineering and materials. And that is the bottom line.
Old 07-02-08, 07:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
Among other things, I do development in photonics and I was flabbergasted when I started reading about car makers putting fiber networks in the cars to cut down on the wiring weight. I don't mind at all if someone decides they want to have the weight from these options but let's be honest, on a lot of models you just have no choice. I know the tendency to look down our noses at manual adjust steering wheels for example but do you really need the weight of the motors, wiring, and electrical system capacity to adjust your steering wheel?

Getting better mileage is going to be hard to do if cars stay this porky and from an admittedly purely selfish reason, it is a lot easier to get good handling on a light car than some beached whale. If I have to give some convenience up, I at least want to get the handling enthusiasm. But then, I'm pretty selfish that way.
Well, manual steering wheel would be fine, less weight and its not that difficult to adjust it on your own afterall. However I'm not sure if its possible to have a manual telescopic steering wheel.

But motorized side view mirrors and seats are a must. I hated the manual seats and mirrors in my Honda, and I will never ever get a car without automatic memory seats and mirrors.
Old 07-02-08, 07:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
And notice how expensive that Lotus is. It costs a lot more to make cars lighter, both the engineering and materials. And that is the bottom line.
Not necessarily. If Lotus was made mass production, it could be made cheaper than a Corolla.
Old 07-02-08, 08:28 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes more equipment = more weight but I'm think there should be just as much development into making engines and transmissions light as there is going to making them more fuel efficient.

Our old 02 Camry XLE weighed 1,500kg. Not bad with 6 airbags, power front seats, power moonroof etc. It was a 4 cylinder. The V6 added a bit more (30kgs I think). That said, Toyota cut down on the aluminium use in the new Camry and it shows. The base Camry CE weighs slightly above 1,500kg even with the 6 airbags (standard for 2007) and no power seats or power moonroof.
Old 07-02-08, 09:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All those extra airbags and electronic safety equipment add a lot of weight. I packed up a drivers airbag and a passengers side air bag from my old SC400 and it is pretty heavy for just those two parts. Imagine having side airbags, side airbag curtains, knee airbags, rear airbags, roof airbags. I would estimate that is over 100 lbs right there alone.

Quick Reply: The weight of today's cars !!