Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai makes Lexus GS spinout of control

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 11:29 AM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Its not out yet.... I love my lexus, but lets not hate on Hyundai. They have and will get alot better.. Just like lexus back in 89.
I would have to say that the difference here is that in '89 Lexus was introduced and was the best initially. Hyundai is getting better, but playing catch-up in the car market always leaves you a step behind.
Old 07-03-08, 12:33 PM
LexFather

If you read any of the mag articles about the Genesis, Lexus is mentioned in each one. Some really go in depth of how Lexus changed the game and this car is trying to do the same.

A lot of kudos to Lexus!! I like the Genesis!

Old 07-03-08, 12:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if anything, laugh on the fact that those 4 luxury cars, they are mb, bmw, lexus, and infiniti. where's acura?

haha. everyone knows the acura is not on the same tier. and infiniti barely qualifies.

a throwback to SAT analogies-

honda:acura
ford:mercury
Old 07-03-08, 12:44 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
I totally agree with you on that Hyundai became the top well known car brand in the world. But, I would leave out luxury for now. They are just not there yet.
Hyundai is a nice affordable consumer brand.

But, I think it's about time Hyundai should bring luxury line under a new name. Like Toyota did with Lexus...
Hyundai does need a luxury line and I can't see the Hyundai name going with Luxury.

You have to give props to Hyundai for there marketing they have done a great job in that area.
Old 07-03-08, 01:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

The question in hand is:

Will the Genesis sell if brand image is somewhat detrimental when it comes to buying a luxury car?

Sure, you can get it for $10k less than a Lexus/Infiniti, or $20k less than the Bimmer/Benz. But the thing is people can do the same thing with a V8 American car such as Lincoln/Cadillac, and they still don't sell as well. If they don't sell because of brand perception or prestige, Hyundai has a lot to lose with the Genesis.
Old 07-03-08, 01:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The question in hand is:

Will the Genesis sell if brand image is somewhat detrimental when it comes to buying a luxury car?

Sure, you can get it for $10k less than a Lexus/Infiniti, or $20k less than the Bimmer/Benz. But the thing is people can do the same thing with a V8 American car such as Lincoln/Cadillac, and they still don't sell as well. If they don't sell because of brand perception or prestige, Hyundai has a lot to lose with the Genesis.
Well that may or may not be true. Lincoln and Caddilacs do not sell because until recent their interiors were vomit inducing at best.
Old 07-03-08, 03:13 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

the Gen has a Lexicon audio system?!
Old 07-03-08, 03:22 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

one thing it be nice to know the mpg for the V8 and how much CO2 it emits. Plus is it SULEV?
Old 07-03-08, 03:44 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink My Guess

if anything, laugh on the fact that those 4 luxury cars, they are mb, bmw, lexus, and infiniti. where's acura?
Acura does not have an 8 cylinder RWD sedan so they had no equivalent to use ....
Old 07-03-08, 04:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
the Gen has a Lexicon audio system?!
yes they say so.

but that doesn't mean it's the exact lexicon used in a RR.

it could just be an entry level lexicon.
Old 07-03-08, 05:25 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yes they say so.

but that doesn't mean it's the exact lexicon used in a RR.

it could just be an entry level lexicon.
i bet the entry level can run circles around a bose system found in mercedes and what not
Old 07-03-08, 05:44 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

I so thought at the end of the ad that it was going to say " At hyundai, we build cars for people that have less" because they said about the other four makes that they build cars for people who have more.

They should have used an refreshen model of the M. silver Ms looks so plain in that design

The Mercedes SHOT off way ahead of the other cars when they took off away from the people.
Old 07-03-08, 06:27 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice car for the price of 30K. Hyundai need to set up another brand for their luxury cars line up just like Toyota,Nissan or Honda did almost 20 years ago. The name Hyundai still remind me of the Excel from the 90's even know their quality are much better now. If they come up with their own dealer network,their own luxury brand and better customer service than Lexus,MB or BMW, then they are in the good position in 10 years from now.
Old 07-03-08, 07:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

back in 1989, a company made a car that most said was "following" the s class, but only better and priced a lot lower. a lot of people say that company won't be able to hang with bmw or mb, which were the sign of luxury and prestige

19 years later, that company has evolved and become one of the top well known luxury car brands in the world, and they are still improving. want to guess that brand?

i can't say if the genesis will be a success yet, but i can tell you they are moving in the right direction with a great goal. those of you laughing coz' it's a hyundai, you are just like the bmw and mb owners back in 1989. i used to say the same about hyundai couple years back, but i am giving them a lot more respect now.

Post of the day...

Now if Hyundai can produce two videos where the Genesis has the same grill that would be interesting...
Old 07-03-08, 07:13 PM
LexFather

back in 1989, a company made a car that most said was "following" the s class, but only better and priced a lot lower. a lot of people say that company won't be able to hang with bmw or mb, which were the sign of luxury and prestige

19 years later, that company has evolved and become one of the top well known luxury car brands in the world, and they are still improving. want to guess that brand?

i can't say if the genesis will be a success yet, but i can tell you they are moving in the right direction with a great goal. those of you laughing coz' it's a hyundai, you are just like the bmw and mb owners back in 1989. i used to say the same about hyundai couple years back, but i am giving them a lot more respect now.

x3 Great post Henry

Acura is ghey. Hyundai has a superior car than their entire brand. Genesis>Acura.

And this is just the first model. They will only get better!

Quick Reply: Hyundai makes Lexus GS spinout of control