Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai makes Lexus GS spinout of control

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 08:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol yeah it seems like genesis has 1857567 different kind of grilles

true that there is a difference between the genesis and ls400, but that's the brand. both started out with economy car (hyundai vs toyota). toyota decided to start a brand, but hyundai decides to be more conservative (imho)

oh and about acura? sorry, i was being sarcastic. yup, it's a direct insult on honda/acura, but come on, they ask for it
Old 07-03-08, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

About Hyundai needing a separate brand... the Toyota approach of creating Lexus was awesome, but also extremely expensive so I doubt Hyundai will do this, but they have another option - since they already have Kia, which is pretty much where Hyundai was 5 years ago, that kind of leaves Hundai free to drift upmarket, which is basically what they're doing. In 5 years, Hyundai, as 1SICKGOAT says, will likely outdo Acura in range.
Old 07-03-08, 10:38 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think both commercials make complete sense unlike others i have seen.
Pay less for more basically.
Hyuandai is not going to come close to the level of luxury bmw, lexus and others have achieved anytime soon but there sure is a possiblity.
Although i have to admite, the name hyuandai does not flow too well with luxury. The Genesis in my opinion is a really nice car for all its worth but the name hyuandai already places a stigma on its luxury image.
What hyuandai needs to do is sugarcoat what seems to be their luxury line by doing wht Toyota and honda do.
creating another superior breed under the small one.
Toyota has Lexus, Honda has Acura, Nissan has Infiniti.
The Hyuandai Genesis just needs some sugarcoating and i believe the general public perception of it will change positively.
Old 07-04-08, 04:03 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
one thing it be nice to know the mpg for the V8 and how much CO2 it emits. Plus is it SULEV?
V8 mpg = 17/25
Old 07-04-08, 08:33 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

The rear of the genesis always reminds me of infiniti ~2001 Infiniti I30 when I look at it. Sure its a great bargain at $30k but for that kind of money I'd rather buy a used Lexus GS.
Old 07-04-08, 08:34 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carguy101
V8 mpg = 17/25
just slightly better then the GS460
Old 07-04-08, 08:42 AM
LexFather

I mean honestly, lets look at the Genesis coupe here. Really its on par with the 1st gen G35, period. Interior actually seems to be better. Both RWD, both good V-6s, both with brembos optional. Both look good.

Infiniti basically touched up the interior this next time around, kept the exterior familiar.

So imagine the next Genesis coupe.
Look at Acura, bland CL, FWD, V-6, discontinued. No one really wanted it.

Hyundai is for real.

Let me remind everyone Toyota has no coupe at this level and Toyota offers the Avalon for the price of the Genesis (or a loaded Camry). Yes an IS coupe is coming, I've been waiting longer for that than free lap dances at Club Nikkis.

Old 07-04-08, 09:10 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

1SICKGOAT, I gotta agree with you on this. If there is one manufacturer who completely fails to please enthusiasts, it's gotta be Toyota.
Old 07-04-08, 08:25 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sedan looks pretty good, but that coupe looks bad. It's a blend
between a G37 and a Tiburon.

As for the commercial, comparing your product to others can be a two
edged sword. It's bound to turnoff potential customers because they
are ridiculing people's favorite brands...
Old 07-04-08, 11:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Its not out yet.... I love my lexus, but lets not hate on Hyundai. They have and will get alot better.. Just like lexus back in 89.
I agree 100%. when lexus first came out they used to make fun of it, call it a fake benz,etc. Hyundai will get better, and the deisgn will become more distinctive.
Old 07-05-08, 01:40 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am surprise I dont see more Hyundai Genesis on the street, they look so good on paper.
Hertz, Enterprise, Avis/Budget, and National will stock up on them.
Old 07-05-08, 02:09 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

I like the Genesis.

But Hyundai REALLY needs to change their strategy. Not only are most of their ads/commercials very cheesy & histerical, they are also portraying themselves as an inferior brand in terms of class, name, and image. Everyone knows they are inferior to BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Infiniti in terms of status & class. But do they really want to reinforce that perception?

I guess you can say its a gamble. People will either see it as an inferior brand, or as a better bargain.

I have always said that if Hyundai was smart about their introduction into the Luxury market, they would need to stray away from the name "Hyundai" and create a "new" company identity for their seperate luxury division. That's like Ford trying to get into the luxury division under the same badge & name [Ford]

Old 07-05-08, 02:15 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i don't like those other videos. seem stupid. so you have more horsepower, and more space. woopy.
another thing i noted was how bland and dated the M35 looked.
I thought the BMW 5 & Infiniti M45 looked the most striking. But that's always subjective.

Since im more biased toward luxury sports vehicles, the Lexus GS & MB E looked the most bland, with the MB looking the most dated. Not really a bad thing if you're more into luxury & refinement as opposed to a sportier look.

Old 07-05-08, 04:53 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
back in 1989, a company made a car that most said was "following" the s class, but only better and priced a lot lower. a lot of people say that company won't be able to hang with bmw or mb, which were the sign of luxury and prestige

19 years later, that company has evolved and become one of the top well known luxury car brands in the world, and they are still improving. want to guess that brand?

i can't say if the genesis will be a success yet, but i can tell you they are moving in the right direction with a great goal. those of you laughing coz' it's a hyundai, you are just like the bmw and mb owners back in 1989. i used to say the same about hyundai couple years back, but i am giving them a lot more respect now.

if anything, laugh on the fact that those 4 luxury cars, they are mb, bmw, lexus, and infiniti. where's acura?
One big difference, the Japanese have much better attention to detail. Quality service is what makes this place go around. No one has the ability to improve on the unimprovable like the Japanese.
Old 07-05-08, 05:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I mean honestly, lets look at the Genesis coupe here. Really its on par with the 1st gen G35, period. Interior actually seems to be better. Both RWD, both good V-6s, both with brembos optional. Both look good.

Infiniti basically touched up the interior this next time around, kept the exterior familiar.

So imagine the next Genesis coupe.
Look at Acura, bland CL, FWD, V-6, discontinued. No one really wanted it.

Hyundai is for real.

Let me remind everyone Toyota has no coupe at this level and Toyota offers the Avalon for the price of the Genesis (or a loaded Camry). Yes an IS coupe is coming, I've been waiting longer for that than free lap dances at Club Nikkis.
I have actually been looking into the RWD Hyundai coupes... basically same engine as the EVO X... gotta make ya think...

Quick Reply: Hyundai makes Lexus GS spinout of control