Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai makes Lexus GS spinout of control

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 07:36 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the genesis coupe has very RSX-like proportions.

anyway, the sedan could do very well in a poor economic situation like the one we are in now.
Old 07-05-08, 07:43 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

There is a lot of snobs driving Lexus cars that look down their noses on Hyundai. I deeply despise people like that. I drive a GS450h, but I would be among first people to test drive the Genesis when it comes out. It sounds really good on paper, especially considering the price, and the early reviews in the US automotive press are generally positive.

I don't know how successful the car is going to be without an introduction under a different brand with separate dealerships, but I hope it puts pressure on makers like Lexus, Infiniti and BMW to offer better value.
Old 07-05-08, 11:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

As some Lexus owners look down on Hyundai, some BMW/Mercedes owners look down on Lexus.
Old 07-05-08, 11:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
One big difference, the Japanese have much better attention to detail. Quality service is what makes this place go around. No one has the ability to improve on the unimprovable like the Japanese.
that is probably the case in japan, but here in the US, to be honest, i think the lexus services overall have been declining a bit -- one of the few things i hope lexus can improve back to their old level
Old 07-06-08, 12:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by skater
I like the Genesis.

But Hyundai REALLY needs to change their strategy. Not only are most of their ads/commercials very cheesy & histerical, they are also portraying themselves as an inferior brand in terms of class, name, and image. Everyone knows they are inferior to BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Infiniti in terms of status & class. But do they really want to reinforce that perception?

I guess you can say its a gamble. People will either see it as an inferior brand, or as a better bargain.

I have always said that if Hyundai was smart about their introduction into the Luxury market, they would need to stray away from the name "Hyundai" and create a "new" company identity for their seperate luxury division. That's like Ford trying to get into the luxury division under the same badge & name [Ford]

You cannot group INfiniti with the 3 major brands you listed, it should not be included as their status/class perception in America is not that high. You can put Lincoln/Caddy/Acura arguably above INifniti but not with BMW/LExus/Benz. There is a CLEAR line in America here.

People (the average consumer) will have a much harder time taking the Genesis serious against the BMW/Benz/Lexus cars in comparison with brands that the average consumer knows little about or doesn't care much about.

So many people continue to say "it needs a luxury brand" but we have/are seeing many luxury brands STRUGGLE with class/status perception as well as sales. A luxury badge does not guarantee success. Just look at Saab, Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, Lincoln today and in the past. They still struggle as a BRAND even with some very good vehicles in the lineup.

Now on the internet, we are better informed for the most part (or some people act like they do ) which means we will take the Genesis more serious and give it a fair shot.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
As some Lexus owners look down on Hyundai, some BMW/Mercedes owners look down on Lexus.
Yeah I read that post and was like "wut" . There are snobs with all brands. There are HYUNDAI snobs, looking down on Kia

Most people revere a badge and for anyone to even argue its silly to think like that clearly missed their marketing class.

Old 07-06-08, 05:46 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that is probably the case in japan, but here in the US, to be honest, i think the lexus services overall have been declining a bit -- one of the few things i hope lexus can improve back to their old level
I don't know what the service is like over there so I won't comment, but going back to the general Japanese thinking of excellence and quality control, this is by far the best in the world, which most importantly reflects in their products.
Old 07-06-08, 06:58 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skater
I like the Genesis.

But Hyundai REALLY needs to change their strategy. Not only are most of their ads/commercials very cheesy & histerical, they are also portraying themselves as an inferior brand in terms of class, name, and image. Everyone knows they are inferior to BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Infiniti in terms of status & class. But do they really want to reinforce that perception?

I guess you can say its a gamble. People will either see it as an inferior brand, or as a better bargain.

I have always said that if Hyundai was smart about their introduction into the Luxury market, they would need to stray away from the name "Hyundai" and create a "new" company identity for their seperate luxury division. That's like Ford trying to get into the luxury division under the same badge & name [Ford]

Hyundai-Kia isn't quite marketing to the same crowd. The company's trying to take Lexus' initial route of offering the most for the money to the middle of the middle class. From there, brand perception changes, and Hyundai will be able to adapt its marketing to level with the higher-ups. Kia's also coming up, too. Believe it or not, there are people waiting for the new Koup and Soul to hit market (it's trying to find a middle ground between Toyota and Scion). The timing couldn't be better. Now that the economy's in its low, there are more people looking at price-based value as a more pertinent factor over its marque.

Also, to my knowledge, there are two different grilles. The one with the rectangle is used to house the optional front wide-view camera. As for those who are unsatisfied by the bodywork, I'm sure there will be companies who make body kits for this model. After all, the Tiburon, Sonata, Elantra, and even Santa Fe have gotten some attention in the past.