Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 BMW 7-Series Official Photos (+ video Clip & New Pics) . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 06:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
It would seem to me that quite a few copied the much maligned bangle butt - that would tell me it aged just fine?
No, they all are aging awfully. We both know copying something doesn't mean its the right thing to do.

Look at all the members having relations with Goats!! Its sick mahn!!!

Old 06-28-08, 01:32 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Not big on it, but it is BMW and my expectation on their interior was not high anyhow so I'm not disappointed. They did exactly what I figured they would. Hopefully the exterior is a drastic departure from the current behometh it is now.
Old 06-28-08, 02:21 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
^^Yeah, people take their 7 to the Ring or track
You will probably see about as many 7's showing up at track day as you will see LS600h's entered in economy runs.

Can't say about the new 7s but I can guarantee you that 7s of years gone by were marvelous drivers cars. My only hesitation about the new ones is I am not a fan of the ride degradation with the run flats assuming Doug doesn't bust my chops and point out that it easy enough to get rid of them.

When you came up on a wallowing LS or lumbering S class (don't anyone bring up AMGs they are a fairly recent aberration - not saying S classes don't handle, just not 7 series territory) on Hwy 17 going from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz you'd be amazed how much pork the 7 suddenly lost. In case you don't know that stretch of road it goes back and forth from entertaining to deadly depending on traffic and weather. I never found I got close to exceeding a 7s limits on that road in any kind of weather.

To this day, the only cars I have owned that my wife said she felt safe in because they were so planted to the road was the 7 series. I was willing to write that off until a business associates wife in the back seat made exactly the same comment. And that's why some people buy or go back to bimmers.

Not every bimmer driver is an epsilon semi moron who chips his leased 335, blows it up, and gets upset that bimmer won't warranty repair it. I have owned bimmers that I felt were downright ugly. But you quickly forget that when you are looking at them from behind the driver's wheel. Now getting to know every service writer on a first name basis, that's another story.
Old 06-28-08, 03:37 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking of 7 series on the track, I'll take this one below.. "Hey Lexus Is350.. Get out of my way"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1TEkKvNxeAY

Against the CLK63 AMG Black... I'll take both

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o6JTR95mpFc
Old 06-28-08, 03:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
You will probably see about as many 7's showing up at track day as you will see LS600h's entered in economy runs.

Can't say about the new 7s but I can guarantee you that 7s of years gone by were marvelous drivers cars. My only hesitation about the new ones is I am not a fan of the ride degradation with the run flats assuming Doug doesn't bust my chops and point out that it easy enough to get rid of them.

When you came up on a wallowing LS or lumbering S class (don't anyone bring up AMGs they are a fairly recent aberration - not saying S classes don't handle, just not 7 series territory) on Hwy 17 going from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz you'd be amazed how much pork the 7 suddenly lost. In case you don't know that stretch of road it goes back and forth from entertaining to deadly depending on traffic and weather. I never found I got close to exceeding a 7s limits on that road in any kind of weather.

To this day, the only cars I have owned that my wife said she felt safe in because they were so planted to the road was the 7 series. I was willing to write that off until a business associates wife in the back seat made exactly the same comment. And that's why some people buy or go back to bimmers.

Not every bimmer driver is an epsilon semi moron who chips his leased 335, blows it up, and gets upset that bimmer won't warranty repair it. I have owned bimmers that I felt were downright ugly. But you quickly forget that when you are looking at them from behind the driver's wheel. Now getting to know every service writer on a first name basis, that's another story.
Yeah, but unlike the 7 series, the S class and LS are not slow. And up until recent they werent ugly either... Well the LS still isnt ugly, just not good looking anymore.
Old 06-28-08, 06:05 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, but unlike the 7 series, the S class and LS are not slow. And up until recent they werent ugly either... Well the LS still isnt ugly, just not good looking anymore.
Whatever trivia there is in the speed difference between the 7, the S, and the LS doesn't interest me. This may come as a shock but with the traffic here in Cali I can no longer hit 155 on my drive to and from work. And I have decided of my own free will that I get no pleasure in feeding vehicles that have high school 0-60 bragging rights. I expect a level of acceleration for safety more than anything and I am willing to pay the fuel bill that goes with this large hardware, but study hall comparisons of 0-60 times where 6-7 seconds is considered slow don't interest me. BMW ride/handling does. When you talk of sport sedans, they still define the class IMO.

Believe me, I have plenty of issues with BMW and if Doug gets the slightest bit interested in contributing, he can verify that. Hey Doug, do they still have the Burning Block idols available? But I will admit that Lexus has still class leading reliability and still class lagging ride/handling IMO. As for handling, the LS isn't on the same page as the 7 and the latest S. It is improved over the last gen but not for me. The latest S is pretty remarkable given its bulk but I still give the nod for handling to the 7. I just don't think any of these three, and let's not forget to toss in the A8 and whatever Tata does to the XJ, are what I want to have for the upcoming several years. The A8 is like an itch that I don't want to scratch - worse reliability than the 7 right down there with the S is still not for me even with those interiors.

The biggest reason to get a current 7 was the discount but bimmer obviously peddled enough of the current stock to take the big subsidy off. As for the new 7, it could very well be my next car if they can drag some mileage out of the twin turbo V8. But there is no way in heck I would get a new model of a bimmer the first year out, and you would be surprised how many bimmer fans agree with that. I just want more driver involvment and satisfaction than Lexus has shown any interest in offering. Came close on a new S but at this point, I am going to wait and see what the next gens look like and if any of these clowns decide to try the diesels here. My wife may stick with a Lexus but I am no longer interested in modding cars to handle the way I expect them to out of the box and will put up with the service problems if they get the mileage up.

As for the looks, I prefer the A8 over all of these. By a wide margin. I don't know how they got so far away from making good looking large sedans but most of them don't appeal to me. I used to make fun of bimmer pre-Bangle making the same car in three different sizes. Lexus now has that title all wrapped up.
Old 06-28-08, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RON430

I agree, I know some people that are firm believers in the old 7 series. It seems the new owners like the style more than anything. May Zeus bless those that bought a new 7 new back when it debuted.

Old 06-28-08, 08:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea the interior of that Alpina B7 was so loud. My 4cyl Camry at WOT seems like an LS compared to that.
Old 06-30-08, 08:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 2009 BMW 7-series teaser appears at Golf tournament

2009 BMW 7-series teaser appears at Golf tournament

Posted on Monday 30 June 2008

BMW has given us the first real hint of the new headlight and grille design for its next-generation 7-series saloon with the unveiling of this new teaser at a recent Golf tournament. The new image confirms that the same LED elements and angel-eye design from the striking CS concept car has been faithfully transferred to the next 7 as well as the original concept car’s oversized grille and eyelids.

The 2009 7-series is expected to revealed next month before officially going on sale in Europe towards the end of the year. Recent spy shots of the car at the Nurburgring show a much smoother body than the current generation but with larger proportions and shorter overhangs. This design has allowed engineers to push the front axle much farther out, increasing the car’s footprint and thus improving dynamics.

While the exterior changes appear to have been kept to a minimum, there are rumored to be a raft of significant changes underneath the sheet-metal.
source
Old 06-30-08, 08:39 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

The New Bmw 7 Series
It's A ****ing Optical Illusion
Old 07-01-08, 01:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like the old angel eyes better. it was a full ring, rather than having gaps between the individual leds.
Old 07-01-08, 02:39 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, the LS is still best-in-class... IMO, pretty easily, actually. I'd take the S before this, too.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 07-01-08 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 03:31 PM
Koma

That is a massive grille.
Old 07-02-08, 05:33 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm liking the overall lines of the car so far. I like the more streamlined looking interior. I HATE the woodtrim options that BMW uses though. They look and feel so fake and IMO is what makes the interior age so quickly.
Old 07-03-08, 01:30 AM
Mercurycn
Driver School Candidate

The interior looks like a piece of crap to me!!!

Quick Reply: 2009 BMW 7-Series Official Photos (+ video Clip & New Pics) . .