Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota recommends driving less to save gas . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 10:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota recommends driving less to save gas . . .

Toyota recommends driving less to save gas

Posted Jul 2nd 2008

Since Toyota, like other automakers doing business in the U.S., is currently unable to supply enough hybrids and other small fuel efficient cars to meet consumer demand, they are offering up other suggestions on how to conserve gas. Over on the Open Road blog, they have talked about hypermiling before but there is a solution that saves even more fuel and emissions. In a shocker for a car company, they actually suggest driving less.

As we've discussed before, there are plenty of ways to do just that. First of all, plan ahead. Instead of making separate trips to the store, to school to pick up the kids, and then to the soccer field, time things to make a single trip and plan the sequence to give you the shortest route. Go get a basket for your bike and use that for short trips to the store or a friend's house. If you have mass transit available, take the bus or train. Perhaps most important, just say no to drive throughs. Park the car and walk the 30 feet to get your burger or coffee.

[Source: Toyota]
http://blog.toyota.com/2008/07/how-to-save-fue.html, via autobloggreen
Old 07-03-08, 10:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like budgeting, there is a technique for saving dollars. Out of the thousands of ways to do so, Toyota just offers one.

It's just funny to simplify the idea that an automaker tells people "Drive less...".
Old 07-03-08, 11:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 813 Likes on 567 Posts

Park the car and walk the 30 feet to get your burger or coffee.
blasphemy!
Old 07-03-08, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Driving less may or may not save gas.........it depends on trip length and how warm you get the engine. Until the engine temperature gets to around 140 degrees or so (when the cold temperature light goes out or the gauge reaches the bottom end of the normal range) the engine computer is giving the injectors a richer-than-normal fuel mixture (more gas and less air) to compensate for poorer fuel vaporization at cold temperatrures. So, if you just run down to the corner store for a mile or so, and keep making repeated short trips instead of longer ones (especially in the cold winter when engine warm-up REALLY uses gas), you could end up using the same amount (or even more) gas than making long enough trips for the engine to fully warm up. In addition, not getting the engine fully warm can cause other engine and fuel-system problems as well from deposit build-up and high emissions....one reason the oil needs to be changed more often under those conditions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-03-08 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-03-08, 01:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

mmarshall, but thats exactly what toyota is suggesting, to plan your trips and make them all at once. If you hit 5 stores in 1 trip instead of making 5 separate trips, you drive less and more efficiently.
Old 07-03-08, 02:30 PM
LexFather

Eat less and lose weight!!! Its an ingenious concept!

Old 07-03-08, 03:22 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Question

I find that starting and stopping the car eats more gas than idling???
Old 07-03-08, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I find that starting and stopping the car eats more gas than idling???
Although, of course, engines and fuel injection systems differ, in general, with non-hybrids, you are usually better off leaving the engine running if you are going to be idling less than a minute. Of course, you never know just how long you will be stalled at a light or behind the car in front of you before you can start up again...it is often a guessing game. And, don't forget, constant starting and stopping of a non-hybrid engine wears out the starter motor and drains the battery.
Old 07-03-08, 03:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Geez - I've been consolidating trips for years because I'm lazy and don't want to do a lot of back and forth driving unless I have no alternative.

mmarshall is dead on with the cold cycle issues. The 2IS have electric heaters in the cooling system to raise the engine to operating temperature quicker (for emissions compliance) and there is another big reason for rich mixtures on cold start - the extra fuel lights up the cats quicker.

I've always recorded my best efficiency when I avoid engine stop/start as much as possible, and when I plan my trips, I typically drive to the farthest location I intend to go first to get the engine and transmission fully up to operating temperature. That way when I'm stopping on my way back, I only need to add enough heat to get back to normal temperature (oil, ATF, and coolant) and I don't lose as much to cold cycle operation.
Old 07-03-08, 06:45 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People would either fall asleep or have a stroke and die during that time span
Old 07-04-08, 01:12 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They said drive less not to stop buying their cars
Old 07-06-08, 08:54 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although, of course, engines and fuel injection systems differ, in general, with non-hybrids, you are usually better off leaving the engine running if you are going to be idling less than a minute. Of course, you never know just how long you will be stalled at a light or behind the car in front of you before you can start up again...it is often a guessing game. And, don't forget, constant starting and stopping of a non-hybrid engine wears out the starter motor and drains the battery.
true but there are probably only a handful of lights around your neighbourhood that are long enough to make the stop worthwhile. I know in mine, there's one traffic light but it works during rush hour cause otherwise it's smart enough to know there isn't traffic and will switch lights if necessary to minimise the wait.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Driving less may or may not save gas.........it depends on trip length and how warm you get the engine. Until the engine temperature gets to around 140 degrees or so (when the cold temperature light goes out or the gauge reaches the bottom end of the normal range) the engine computer is giving the injectors a richer-than-normal fuel mixture (more gas and less air) to compensate for poorer fuel vaporization at cold temperatrures. So, if you just run down to the corner store for a mile or so, and keep making repeated short trips instead of longer ones (especially in the cold winter when engine warm-up REALLY uses gas), you could end up using the same amount (or even more) gas than making long enough trips for the engine to fully warm up. In addition, not getting the engine fully warm can cause other engine and fuel-system problems as well from deposit build-up and high emissions....one reason the oil needs to be changed more often under those conditions.
would an EBH help reduce engine wear by pre-heating?
Old 09-02-08, 10:25 AM
RXkillah
Driver School Candidate

Driving less may help you save money on gas. . .but think about it. It's just not possible for those of us that need to commute long distances to work, or those of us (So Cal-ers) that have inadequate public transportation. Others say just live closer to your workplace, but what if you work in Bev Hills and the cost of living there is too expensive? Is moving to a multi-million dollar house worth saving fuel?

The best way to save fuel is to drive smart. Be alert and always look ahead, so instead of breaking, you can coast. Making sure your tires are inflated also helps a lot, and this website provides good tips on how to save money at the gas pump:

http://gabwith.us/3-silly-things-we-...-money-on-gas/

I know most of us don't like to do it. . .but driving slower, at 60 mph actually saves quite a bit of fuel. . .
Old 09-02-08, 01:51 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
"HELL NO, MOMMY!"