Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari reportedly considering V6 turbo to save fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 07:06 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrari reportedly considering V6 turbo to save fuel

It won’t power a Dino - the car is completely off the table - but a turbocharged V6 might power one of the next-generation cars from Ferrari. A company spokesman has said that Ferrari has ruled out nothing in terms of technology as it works to keep high-performance a priority while accommodating strict emissions rules.

Already the company has begun to employ some small technological tools to keep power up while reducing fuel consumption. The recently released California uses the company’s first direct-injection engine, for example. As the company moves forward with the next generation of engines, focusing on the development period from 2013 to 2016, it is open to the possibility of using a turbocharger or other forced-induction methods to yield the power it wants and the economy it must, reports AutoTelegraaf.

If the Prancing Horse marque does end up with a smaller-displacement forced-induction engine, it won’t be powering anything that might be considered ‘entry level’, however. Nor will the company bend to the pressure to become a full-line manufacturer with the addition of an SUV or four-door car - Davide Kluzer, Ferrari spokesman, has said those two types of car “we will never do.”
(Courtesy of Motor Authority)
Old 07-04-08, 07:19 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

They should just stick with v8+ before they start losing their names.
Old 07-04-08, 07:48 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThoLe
They should just stick with v8+ before they start losing their names.

they need to consider this V6 turbo to stay in business
EU is getting tough new standards too
Old 07-04-08, 08:02 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Plus with a V6 turbo or twin-turbo they for sure still can get well over 400 hp thats for sure.

Should be interesting to see if Ferrari can meet the 130g/km CO2 emission thing.

Should be fun for Ferrari try and reduce it by 70-80% their CO2 emissions by then, seeing the F430 has a 420g/km CO2 emission. While the 997 Turbo is around 307g/km.
Old 07-04-08, 08:05 PM
FSUJBP
Driver School Candidate

My suggestion (not that Ferrari needs it): Go with a 3.0 liter V8 or V10. Have it rev to 12k+ rpm. The experience would be incredible and the mileage if kept to lower rpm should be decent.
Old 07-04-08, 08:20 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip the V6 and go directly to a V4 Acura style
Old 07-04-08, 10:43 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally think and welcome more I4 and V6 turbocharged engines. I think that will be the engine choice of tuners in the future given gas hungry V8s will start to die off as gas prices keep on rising.
Old 07-04-08, 11:16 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a PR effort doomed to failure. Ferrari has an image and a real racing heritage to protect - diminishing performance of the classic Ferrari to "save gas" is ludicrous. Because their vehicles are so rare, if they got 1 mpg, they woudn't impact national oil consumption, and besides, if you can tote the note on a $250,000 car, fuel cost is probably your last consideration. Now if they can get the engine to run on Dom Pérignon, they might be able to spin it to show they are using a renewable resource and still show reduced operating cost with some real snob appeal.
Old 07-04-08, 11:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I really really doubt that ferrari will ever produce this motor. V6 is scum of the earth to ferrari owners. Actually some owners think v12 is where its at. The idea of ferrari killing its name for its owners to save on fuel (they have money coming out of their asses and we all know these cars will never ever be daily drivers). These cars are collectors items that are valued based on their rarity and power. they have alot more to lose than to gain in a v6 turbo application. maybe a twin turbo v8 , but never a v6. Its half an engine to the italians
Old 07-04-08, 11:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lil4X
This is a PR effort doomed to failure. Ferrari has an image and a real racing heritage to protect - diminishing performance of the classic Ferrari to "save gas" is ludicrous. Because their vehicles are so rare, if they got 1 mpg, they woudn't impact national oil consumption, and besides, if you can tote the note on a $250,000 car, fuel cost is probably your last consideration. Now if they can get the engine to run on Dom Pérignon, they might be able to spin it to show they are using a renewable resource and still show reduced operating cost with some real snob appeal.
x2
Won't happen.....hell they JUST made their first V-8 front engined car in the new California

Old 07-05-08, 02:41 AM
goober007
Rookie

iam suprised no one said this yet......

Blasphemy!!!
Old 07-05-08, 04:52 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was always something special about V6TT to me. I prefer it to V8 anytime, anyday but that is me.
Ferrari V6 would sell no matter what they say and I am surprised they didn't do it earlier. If they can sell super cheap cologne, gloves, scurfs, shoes and other flea market stuff to those who always wanted something with F bagde why not serious six banger.

Last edited by Vladi; 07-05-08 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-05-08, 05:48 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Now if they can get the engine to run on Dom Pérignon, they might be able to spin it to show they are using a renewable resource and still show reduced operating cost with some real snob appeal.
Many a true word spoken in jest ; Prince Charles runs his Aston Martin on wine:

http://www.switched.com/2008/07/02/p...-wine-sort-of/
Old 07-05-08, 09:02 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FSUJBP
My suggestion (not that Ferrari needs it): Go with a 3.0 liter V8 or V10. Have it rev to 12k+ rpm. The experience would be incredible and the mileage if kept to lower rpm should be decent.
I was thinking the same thing. Remember BMW used to have a 3.0L V8.

Question. Why are Ferraris available with manual transmissions? IMO thats bastardizing the brand more than 6 cylinders would.
Old 07-05-08, 09:43 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

v6 and Ferrari shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Quick Reply: Ferrari reportedly considering V6 turbo to save fuel