Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS-F review, WITH DESIGNER, on Speed channel

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 02:25 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
and F1 still uses manuals
just automated manuals but technically it still counts as manual
From the context of your stated "experience" standpoint, the F1 transmission is no more a manual than the IS-F's.
Old 07-10-08, 07:56 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Don't F1's use DCT's?
F1 cars use sequential trannys. Dual clutches are not allowed, and CVTs were banned because of *gasp* how damn good they were for the job.

Originally Posted by UberNoob
sometimes driving is NOT about speed though
its about the enjoyment of knowing your car and using every bit of it
and with a manual, you can get a bit more enjoyment out of it by having a more complete experience

and F1 still uses manuals
just automated manuals but technically it still counts as manual
Yes, but the IS-F is not a weekend roadster/weekend toy/backroad carver/elise, and IMHO that is really the only place a stick shift really still belongs.
Old 07-10-08, 07:57 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
From the context of your stated "experience" standpoint, the F1 transmission is no more a manual than the IS-F's.

Exactly.........
Old 07-10-08, 10:02 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

It's never a regular Lexus

The ride is more precise

I believe the LS600 has a planetary, the LS460 is the other 8 speed
But this is seriously nuts

Does anyone know where I can host some HD videos?
Old 07-11-08, 12:27 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ok i guess it all depends on how people want the IS-F to fit into their lifestyle
a weekend racer or a daily fun car

Originally Posted by vraa

Does anyone know where I can host some HD videos?
http://www.vimeo.com/
Old 07-11-08, 12:39 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar

One has a torque converter and one doesn't. One is an automatic transmission by definition and one is a manual transmission. It is really apples to oranges. Just because they both shift gears via a paddle shifter doesn't make the F1 tranny an automatic. Automatic transmissions are actually banned in F1. A sequential manual gearbox is far from an automatic transmission. it still uses a clutch, although the clutch action is automated instead of foot power.

Lots of transmissions lock the torque converter. My old Acura Legend did that as well as most modern automatics today. If anyone can shed some light on how exactly the IS-F takes the torque converter out of operation in M mode and turns it into a manual I'm all ears. I really just don't comprehend what "Turn Off" the torque converter means.

PS. I think automatics are the way of the future. My first choice would be a duel clutch DSG tranny, then an automatic tranny like in the IS-F, then a real manual for pure performance. That would be my daily driver or even my drag strip race car choice. For pure weekend fun though I'd still stick to a conventional manual just for the pure pleasure of manipulation the clutch, doing heel/toe shifts, manually rev matching and such. There can be a lot of joy in that for a lot of people.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 07-11-08 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 03:35 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It is really apples to oranges.
Again, from his stated context of driving experience, the F1 transmission is no more a manual than the IS-F's. There is no "apples and oranges"; he made no attempt to differentiate in other aspects, so certainly neither did I in responding.
Old 07-11-08, 07:59 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Lots of transmissions lock the torque converter. My old Acura Legend did that as well as most modern automatics today. If anyone can shed some light on how exactly the IS-F takes the torque converter out of operation in M mode and turns it into a manual I'm all ears. I really just don't comprehend what "Turn Off" the torque converter means.
I had an issue with the way Lexus worded this originally as well. After owning it for while here's the lowdown.

They lock the TC in M mode at all RPMS in gears other than first. Other transmissions will lock the TC above a certain RPM threshold. In those cars when you lift off the gas at speed the TC unlocks and you get a smooth decel. With the IS-F you feel the engine braking immediately, just as if you were in gear with a manual. It is a very different experience than a normal locking automatic.

HTH
Old 07-11-08, 08:41 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I had an issue with the way Lexus worded this originally as well. After owning it for while here's the lowdown.

They lock the TC in M mode at all RPMS in gears other than first. Other transmissions will lock the TC above a certain RPM threshold. In those cars when you lift off the gas at speed the TC unlocks and you get a smooth decel. With the IS-F you feel the engine braking immediately, just as if you were in gear with a manual. It is a very different experience than a normal locking automatic.

HTH
That is exactly what my 335i does by default and in sport mode it even locks it up in first. I can come to almost a complete stop when coasting up to a red light just by letting off the gas.

typical hype though. people here only took notice once lexus did it...then it was suddenly magical and amazing and we even get lexus themselves spreading misinformation acting like early lockup of the tc is a special feature that makes their automatic just as good as something like a dsg...
not that I have driven the is f but I have driven my 335i plenty as well as a dsg audi tt and there is just no comparison. the dsg is just awesome and as close to a manual as any auto shifting trans I have ever driven by a long shot.
Old 07-11-08, 09:30 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Did you drive it in M and Sport mode?

I've noticed a lot of reviews don't even mention that the M mode + Sport mode totally change the car
Old 07-11-08, 10:40 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Threxx
not that I have driven the is f but I have driven my 335i plenty as well as a dsg audi tt and there is just no comparison. the dsg is just awesome and as close to a manual as any auto shifting trans I have ever driven by a long shot.
Seems like if you haven't driven it it's a bit hard to compare. I agree the DSG is very different but once you drive the IS-F in M mode with sport enabled you (just like all the major car magazines) will be impressed by this "automatic" transmission.
Originally Posted by Threxx
That is exactly what my 335i does by default and in sport mode it even locks it up in first. I can come to almost a complete stop when coasting up to a red light just by letting off the gas.
I agree it is part hype here it's all about orders of magnitude. When the announcement was made I had the same reaction you did. I've seen lots of transmissions lockup and even more lockup earlier and earlier. Honestly I've not driven an automatic that behaves like this one. Hype, sure. Some substance too? I think so.

Go take one for a drive!
Old 07-11-08, 03:11 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like if you haven't driven it it's a bit hard to compare. I agree the DSG is very different but once you drive the IS-F in M mode with sport enabled you (just like all the major car magazines) will be impressed by this "automatic" transmission.

I agree it is part hype here it's all about orders of magnitude. When the announcement was made I had the same reaction you did. I've seen lots of transmissions lockup and even more lockup earlier and earlier. Honestly I've not driven an automatic that behaves like this one. Hype, sure. Some substance too? I think so.

Go take one for a drive!
I think it is safe to agree that the IS-F has one of the best automatic trannies in the market today along with the BMW 335i. These types of transmissions will be the wave of the future. I guess CVTs willalso become a lot more popular, but I'm not sold on them just yet as I actually like a little jerkiness in my tranny. I'm old school still. I like to feel the gears shifting and hear the engine roaring, and the exhausts rumbling

Anyway, the more automatics like this and more DSG trannies that come into market the better for all of us.
Old 07-11-08, 04:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

OK, enough debate, did anyone else actually see the TV show?
Old 07-11-08, 11:13 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Well I watched it the first time around and my TiVo recorded the rerun you are talking about and since I'm still a sucker for it I watched parts of it again.

It was as boring the second time around as it was the first. You can click the link to see the initial feedback but compared to the M3 and VW GTI reviews done just prior the IS-F review was pretty lame. The interview with the designer was definitely the highlight and it was too short. The racing with Scott and Tommy was tamer than other episodes. The "chase" was... umm... 30 sec skip, 30 sec skip, 30 sec skip, etc... Tommy didn't seem to "into" the IS-F either.

I'd love to see a more detailed interview, technology overview and timed laps done.

BTW: Don't know what happened to that thread. I remember posting in it and couldn't find it to save my life with CL search. Thank the oracle (aka google) for preserving my sanity.
Old 07-12-08, 02:15 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

+1

The IS-F is difffffferent completely!!! in manual mode

I promise I'll get some WOT runs in in all the modes soon, my camera battery is charging and the second battery is somewhere in FedEx hands

Quick Reply: IS-F review, WITH DESIGNER, on Speed channel