Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Old school pics of an old school ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 12:27 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good, looking good!

Classic cars always make me drool...
Old 07-06-08, 12:38 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
OLT,, I love the ride. I have a 52 Chieftan myself which is in need of restore and I have just had sitting. I too have the straight 8 and push button start. Looks like you runing 3 on the tree. Good luck with that in getting used to it. Was hard for me when I first drove one. Keep us informed with updates.
NIIIIIIICCCCE. Are you gonna tell me you found a Streamliner too, or did you go with the Chieftain sedan or coupe? Either way, Vuury kool.

When I first got it I couldn't visualize where the gears were supposed to set when shifting. It's actually more tricky than you think if you haven't driven one, but I'm sure as you found once you were able to "see" the gears sitting in place it's CAKE...... this just isn't one of those cars you can speed shift.
Old 07-06-08, 12:51 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Dang I forgot the mod list.....

- All the trim except the window trim has been removed and the holes welded and sanded.

- The headlights were frenched, welded, and sanded.

- The rear bumper was cut and shortened, frenched into the body, welded, sanded.

- The front grill was cut in half, shortened, and welded in a V pattern.

- rear trunk trim and emblem deleted, holes welded and sanded.

- Hood trim frenched into the hood, welded, sanded.

- Rear emblem relocated to front bumper/grill. (these emblems aren't like today, they are a foot long 6 inches high, 2 inches deep, and steel ).

- MoonEyes.

- Front facia trim delete.

- Front turn signals deleted.

- Hood emblem deleted.

- 12 volt conversion.

- 3 inch drop

- Custom battery box.

- Custom made rear wheel well panel covers.

- Full vehicle rewire with Lighting Audio cable.

- "Hot Rod black" paint

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-06-08 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-06-08, 04:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing to keep in mind if you restore it and actually drive it: If you keep the stock carburator and don't convert it to fuel injection, pull and inspect the the spark plugs regularly. One of the weaknesses of the old Pontiac/Buick straight-8's was that the engine block (and intake manifold) was so long that, even with a good carburator, the fuel mixture varied quite a bit from the rich, close-in cylinders to the lean, faraway ones....which, of course, often meant deposits on the near plugs and prematurely burnt-up electrodes on the far ones. One of the reasons the straight-8 design was dropped was that the engineers, with the technology of the time, never really got that problem solved.
Maybe you can answer this mmarshall. Is there any advantages in the straight 8 configuration over a v8 kind of like the advantages of a straight six(smoother reving, balanced smoother powerband/engine/acceleration, stronger, good candidate for turbocharging) over a V6. I know V6 are much easier to package and are cheaper to make but many prefer smooth inline sixes over v6 and some car companies still make inline 6's because of these advantages. I don't think there are any straight 8s available now and packaging would be an issue but if their are some advantages of the I8 configuration over a v8 especially with performance or smoothness then I don't see why a company would not try it and just have a design with a longer hood like a TVR or Rolls Royce.
Old 07-06-08, 10:54 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^this is why I have always wanted a modern straight 8. Especially in a classic, neo classic, or art deco style. Back in the day the straight 8 was the top of the line engine on many cars but were eventually dropped due to the mixture issues in addition to weight, packaging and crank/cam shaft weakness. Before I die I want to construct or commission a modern straight 8 and stick it in a car like a first gen SC or merc CL.

Regarding the smoothness of the V8 it's already a balanced engine due to the overlapping crank phase (usually 90 degrees).
Old 07-07-08, 05:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

got all my trim on now.

Old 07-08-08, 01:22 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

mmmm better pic

What it would look like with tint. Not that tint would look bad, but it takes away from the classic appeal. IMO.

Old 07-19-08, 03:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i liked it when you first got it, i love it now. and very creative parking space for the sc haha