Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS400 vs Camry

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 07:17 PM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 vs Camry

I currently own a 2008 LS460 and live in NYC with my wife and kid. Soon we will soon be moving to the burbs, and once we do we will need to get a second car. The second car will be primarily be used for my commute, and the 460 will be used for errands run by wifey during the week, and as weekend road trips. For second car I want to get something used and to keep the price under about 10k or so. At first I was considering a Camry, but it seems like the shift up in gas prices has really put a lot of pressure on later model 4 cylinder cars. I am starting to consider an older LS – a 98’ LS400 for example. With the current market, it seems like I can get a very good condition and well maintained LS400 for 8-10k. When comparing the highway mileage of the LS400 to the camry, the LS isn’t that far of 25 vs 32 mpg. I am fine with 20% or so higher fuel costs, it means I am sitting in an LS vs a Camry. I realize that the maintenance of the LS will probably be higher because it’s older and more complex, but on the other hand it’s also built much better. Any suggestions? I would be interested in other perspectives.
Old 07-06-08, 07:21 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go with the LS. They're more luxurious, rear wheel drive, faster, and look a lot better imo.
Old 07-06-08, 07:29 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were considering the Camry, you may want to look into the 6 cyl ES300. The demand for them doesn't seem to have sky-rocketed like the Camry has. I just bought an older model one (95) with 130k on it for 2800. I know that this is well below your price range, but for a daily driver, this is one smooth ride. Blue book/NADA/edmunds all put this car at 3500 and up. Definitely got my money worth. Anyway, if you're looking for that quiet Lexus ride, and maybe a little bit better gas mileage, go for the ES model IMO. Hope this helps.
GL
Old 07-06-08, 07:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well in real life LS400 will get you roughly 25mpg highway and 15 city. However Camry isnt likely to return EPA claimed economy either. As far as everything else, I love 98-00 LS400's. They are not quite as nice as 2001-2006, but never the less they are awesome. You may even find that certain aspects of the build quality in that generation LS400 exceed your LS460.
Old 07-06-08, 07:53 PM
vollandt
Driver

thanks basketthis,

according to kbb, if I go I go ES300, 10k will get me an 01 or 02 with 100k miles. the rated mpg isn't that different 25 vs 25.

One thing I noticed when doing my research is the availability of order LS cars in totally mint condition. I guess an LS is more likely to get pampered than just an ordinary car.
Old 07-06-08, 07:56 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

I say no matter which way you do it, hold out for a definite deal/pampered vehicle That's what I got and boy do I love it. All maintenance has been done, new tires, timing belt, water pump, brakes, etc. GL
Old 07-07-08, 09:51 AM
timer00
Pole Position

98-00 LS Rule!
haha
Old 07-07-08, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why do you want either a big LS400 or a medium-size Camry for daily commutes in NYC traffic? Since you already have a brand-new LS in the family, if you want to stay in the Toyota line, why not look at a used Corolla, Matrix, or one of the smaller Scions (if you can stand those center-stack Scion gauges). The Pontiac Vibe is also a Toyota product.....a rebadged Matrix)

Do not assume that gas will not go up even more before it finally stabilizes or starts to drop.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-07-08 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-07-08, 10:43 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I've got an '01 IS300 for sale if you are interested.
Old 07-07-08, 10:54 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do you want either a big LS400 or a medium-size Camry for daily commutes in NYC traffic? Since you already have a brand-new LS in the family, if you want to stay in the Toyota line, why not look at a used Corolla, Matrix, or one of the smaller Scions (if you can stand those center-stack Scion gauges). The Pontiac Vibe is also a Toyota product.....a rebadged Matrix)

Do not assume that gas will not go up even more before it finally stabilizes or starts to drop.
I agree. A small car would be great for gas and maintence. And you'd definitely appreciate your LS460 more everytime you step out of your Corolla. LOL.
Old 07-07-08, 12:50 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well in real life LS400 will get you roughly 25mpg highway and 15 city. However Camry isnt likely to return EPA claimed economy either. As far as everything else, I love 98-00 LS400's. They are not quite as nice as 2001-2006, but never the less they are awesome. You may even find that certain aspects of the build quality in that generation LS400 exceed your LS460.
Not sure about your 15mpg... I do much better than that. Keep in mind this is according to the computer, so if they're notoriously optimistic, maybe I need to do some calculations of my own. My '99 LS400 with 146k on the odo gets me between 19-21 mpg when commuting to work. I drive about 20 miles each way and it's all stop and go - speed limits between 30 and 50 mph.

Unless I go to a total econobox I don't think I'd do much better than that. I'd gladly give up a few mpg to drive this car.

I might be cracking up - but there's just something about the car where it seems to have way less resistance to slow down. I let off the gas and it seems to coast so effortless, losing way less speed in any given time compared with past vehicles. This smoothness in the drivetrain can only contribute to the efficiency.

The only thing that really hurts is to fill this car up - that 22 gallon tank filled with premium at like $4.40/gal is painful.
Old 07-07-08, 10:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

An LS400 for a one person commute doesn't make any sense these days.

Get a Miata! I've never had a more fun car and it's surprisingly comfortable and smooth on the highway.
Old 07-08-08, 04:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Get a Miata! I've never had a more fun car and it's surprisingly comfortable and smooth on the highway.
Agreed.....as long as weather and road conditions are good. In bad weather, though, the Miata's light weight and RWD layout, even with rain/snow tires, can be unsuitable for wet or slick roads. The Miata's short wheelbase and firm suspension is fine on smooth pavement, but pretty choppy on rough roads, and the NYC area does have some rough roads.
Old 07-10-08, 02:22 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vollandt
I realize that the maintenance of the LS will probably be higher because it’s older and more complex, but on the other hand it’s also built much better.
Primarily, the additional cost will result from the higher routine maintenance costs at Lexus relative to Toyota. However, my experience with my 97 LS400 would indicate that the build quality you mention more than makes up for the higher routine costs.

I'd go with the LS400 here, no question. It's just out of the league of any of the other cars mentioned in this thread.
Old 07-17-08, 11:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

do the LS . more luxury, nicer looking, and probably more reliable

Quick Reply: LS400 vs Camry