Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Toyota Prius Spy Shots, Page 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 07:26 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Toyota Prius Spy Shots, Page 2

BY AARON ROBINSON, ILLUSTRATION BY RADOVAN VARICAK
July 2008

In uncertain times, the multitudes need a hero. In a year when the spot price of light, sweet crude is an hourly news event, the Toyota Prius seems a likely candidate. A new Prius hybrid arrives in 2009 to fight the forces of OPEC and the evil oil empire. If the price of gasoline hits $5 at the pump, buyers are sure to give it a very big Howdy Doody welcome.

Toyota, a ship so buttoned down it makes the recently departed William F. Buckley Jr. look like Huey Newton, has no plans for radical upheaval. The current Prius is a sellout in all its five-door jelly-bean frumpiness, so the car scheduled to be revealed at the 2009 Detroit auto show will be tweaked mainly to answer minor customer beefs with the current jelly bean. It will be slightly larger, a bit more spacious inside, and trimmed with more luxury options. The engine will grow and become a tad snappier in its sprint while returning even better fuel economy. A plug-in model should arrive in 2010.

Prius is Latin for “prior” or “to go before.” By Toyota’s accounting, the 2010 Prius is the little car’s fourth generation. The prius Priuses include the first Japanese-market version, on sale in December 1997, and the U.S. derivative that arrived in 2001. The redesigned hatchback Prius debuted worldwide in 2004 and elevated the hybrid into a household word, an environmental declaration akin to putting a compost pile in your Jacuzzi, and a staple of celebrity driveways. But sales are really riveted to pump prices. They jumped from 54,000 in 2004 to 181,000 last year. As of May, the Prius was on track to book more than 190,000 sales in 2008.

In general, claims Toyota, customers are happy with the current car, so the basic five-door hatchback silhouette remains, and the changes have to do with details. The roof height will stay the same, but the nose, tail, and wheelbase will grow slightly, and the track will be wider. Larger, more extravagantly sculpted headlights will be highlighted by additional trim tinsel to brighten its smile. However, the front and rear views will remain familiar. Toyota wants people to recognize the Prius as a Prius.

The “Hybrid Synergy Drive,” with its twin electric motors and continuously variable planetary-gear transmission, will carry over as conceptually unchanged but with improved power from its electric motors and a larger 1.6-liter, Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder in place of the current 1.5-liter unit, which dates to the old Toyota Echo. Power output will rise modestly, though Toyota promises even better fuel economy than the current car’s 48-city/45-highway EPA numbers.

Limited supplies of the nickel-metal hydride batteries have held back Prius production, but a new factory in Japan due to go on line in 2010 should break the logjam and create capacity for more hybrid models. Indeed, Toyota also plans to unveil another hybrid besides the Prius at the Detroit show in January.

The price will float above the current $22,160 base price but only modestly. Expect a loaded Prius to top out $1000 or so above the $29,692 for a fully loaded 2008 Prius. Hitting the road in 2010 will be Toyota’s first plug-in Prius. Customers want more drive time in pure electric mode, but the current Prius can’t deliver for various reasons, including battery longevity. The plug-in Prius will address that through the use of more-powerful lithium-ion batteries, but plans are to limit volume strictly, at least at first, to hundreds of units rather than thousands.

Like the lines for gas in the 1970s, the waiting list for the plug-in Prius is expected to be long.
Source: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...prius_car_news
Old 07-07-08, 07:36 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one thing that isnt 100% clear yet is will this new prius use Li-Ion or still use the Ni-Mh?
Old 07-07-08, 07:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

This is the first I've heard of a 1.6L unit.
Old 07-07-08, 08:24 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

If the new Prius is going to look like that then it'll be HAWT!!
Old 07-07-08, 08:39 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
If the new Prius is going to look like that then it'll be HAWT!!
i am with you on that one, i might go for this rather then the IQ. Thing is this thing about 5ft longer lol.

I should start practicing parallel-parking and parking in garages, soon.
Old 07-08-08, 08:36 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

That's a nice evolution of the current design. I like it a lot. Only oddity to me is the look of the reverse lights. What's up with that?
Old 07-08-08, 09:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they said it will be plug in Li-Ion for the prius redesign
Old 07-08-08, 09:12 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They finally added the missing like to the Prius........................some decent styling!! That is a much better looking car than the current Prius design. Good job Toyota!
Old 07-08-08, 09:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Still only an illustration though, so we still don't know excactly what the new one would look like, but it's not difficult to make it look better than the current one though But it still has to look distinctive enough from non-hybrid cars, since that's what most hybrid owners want . . .
Old 07-08-08, 11:34 AM
xioix
Racer

Maybe we should wait to see some spyshots, before we think this illustration is anywhere close to the new Prius
Old 07-08-08, 11:38 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

It looks less bad. I don't care for the Prius. I would not dump my paid off GS300 and spend $30K on a hybrid. You can buy a lot of fuel for $30K even at $5/gallon.
Old 07-08-08, 11:45 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by link13
It looks less bad. I don't care for the Prius. I would not dump my paid off GS300 and spend $30K on a hybrid. You can buy a lot of fuel for $30K even at $5/gallon.
Depending on what year GS300 you have, a 30k Prius might be more loaded than your GS
Old 07-08-08, 12:08 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
Maybe we should wait to see some spyshots, before we think this illustration is anywhere close to the new Prius
Would be great if it was, that thing I would dare say, is beautiful. For what it is anyway.
Old 07-08-08, 12:12 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Best thing that they can do is what I helped with at a battery company back in 1999....we made it so the combustion engine did not kick on until the batteries were roughly 40% full, by doing this it relied more on battery power rather than having the combustion engine on the whole time charging. It significantly increased fuel economy, however may not be something they are ready for yet...
Old 07-08-08, 03:46 PM
LexFather

Am I the only one scared of what the Lexus version will look like?

Quick Reply: 2010 Toyota Prius Spy Shots, Page 2